Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,242 members, 7,815,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Is Nigeria Really Getting Better - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is Nigeria Really Getting Better (1035 Views)

Is Nigeria The Only African Country Abroad? / South West Is Nigeria’s Kidnap Capital- Report / Nigeria Is Getting Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by kokoye(m): 2:09pm On Dec 04, 2008
My 82yr old auntie returned to Ibadan from the UK to escape the cold weather three days ago. Armed robbers went to her house around 9am in the morning yesterday, beat her silly and locked her up in a choked up room while they stole everything including the money sent through her to some families for xmas. Again, this is an 82 yr old woman robbed in her own house at 9am.

I am aware of the increase in jobs and the better life of the so-called middle class, but what is the joy of living in a country where:

- one is scared to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

- the people who can afford it do everything possible to ensure that their kids are not born in that country

- you're not sure of who's stopping you at a check point - police or robbers.

- you're scared to death to go into a banking center or a public gathering

- armed robbers beat up police officers before going on their rampage

- you visit your country and you are afraid of sleeping in your own house

- you're scared ur own siblings might kidnap your kids for a buck

- people now prefer to set up shops, invest and go for vacations in the neighbouring countries like Ghana - whose citizens were chased away less than 2 decades ago

- govt officials must have properties in foreign lands and go abroad for regular medical services

Yea, there are some things improving in Nigeria, but when one thinks of the points I listed above, is my dear country really gettng any better?

Can anyone blame my 82yr old auntie if she decides never to return to the land of her birth??  yea, she might be close to her last days but is that how she wants to go?

God help us all.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by Moyola(f): 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2008
God help us o!! embarassed
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by debosky(m): 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2008
Another sad reminder that things are far from being well in Nigeria.  sad

At 82, I wouldn't blame her if she doesn't return - at some point the risk outweighs the value altogether.  sad

Nigeria may be getting better in some respects, but in many ways, it is still very, very bad.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by MrCrackles(m): 2:34pm On Dec 04, 2008
It is a sad sad situation in Nigeria isnt it?!

Security and crime particularly is not getting any better

Too bad, an 82yr old woman fell a victim!!! sad angry
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by kokoye(m): 2:38pm On Dec 04, 2008
cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by kokoye(m): 2:43pm On Dec 04, 2008
it is sad just thinking about the whole thing.

Now the computer village in Ikeja was recently closed - it is a good thing to enforce laws but what plans / choices are made available for the traders there, bearing in mind that xmas is very much around the corner.

Most of them might have no otheer choice but to start robbing to survive. Becuase they see the govt officials who closed their shops are having fun and oppressing all over the place.

The whole system is just screwed
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by spikedcylinder: 5:03pm On Dec 10, 2008
I have never witnessed robbery sha. Maybe we are just too poor. grin cheesy
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by 4kizo(m): 1:24pm On Nov 07, 2011
Nigeria is getting worse, the government said "send ur children 2 skul" bt they increase the skul fees every year, more so somtimes i don't blame the robbers cos som of dem re graduates who couldn't get job so dey ve 2 do job dey got(robbering) cos calculating hw much u ve spent on skul fees starting 4rm nursery u got ur PHD, its so much moni and when it d government turn pay u back dey wil nt give u d opportunity.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Getting Better by BootyOnMe: 7:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
I just visited and I can say for a fact that THINGS ARE WORSE!!!!
People are really suffering. They keep getting meaner and meaner.
Frankly, if you see the so called ASABA airport. . . you will weep for weeks! cry
MMA has an abandoned project sitting right in front of it. (a hotel or a parking lot?). . . the ultimate eye sore.
Abuja looks like an unknowr an geographical location being rebuilt after a war.
A truly cursed nation!
Twa!

(1) (Reply)

Kidnapping: The Most Lucrative Crime Industry In Nigeriaand Ways Of Curbing It / Devil Evangelists: Robbers Took My Car & Asked Me To Give My Life To Christ / Woman Kidnaps Friend's One-week Old Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.