Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Psychological Slavery In Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Psychological Slavery In Africa (1876 Views)

The Hidden History Of White Slavery! / Slavery In Calabar: A Psychic Journey / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Psychological Slavery In Africa by okomogo(m): 7:10pm On Dec 10, 2014
White wedding, as the name implies, is a wedding for the whites. I was not born in the era of the white missionaries in Nigeria, but I know that beside destroying some devilish practices and bringing the gospel to us, the missionaries did so much harm to Africa from the cultural perspective.

We are all happy claiming to be free from the era of slave trade, but the truth is that we are still slaves to the white man in more ways than one. Just yesterday while speaking with a friend on Skype, this issue came to my mind, and I posted it as a question on my Facebook wall. I also had the urge to talk about it in this column and bare my mind on this issue of white wedding. . From the responses to my Facebook Wall post, I realised that some actually know the truth, but they don’t want to come out in the open and say it because their religious leaders are watching. I also know that some of my readers who claim to be born again, but are actually fanatics won’t see reason with me.

By the grace of God, I am a born-again Christian who does her best to live in accordance with Biblical principles. But this has been a source of worry to me since I became an adult. Why do we now prefer the white man’s culture when it comes to weddings? Why have we suddenly relegated our own rich culture to the background and have indirectly told the white man that his culture is superior? How did we give the place of traditional marriage to church wedding? Why has the judicial system embraced the white man’s culture and thrown our own away? Why are the churches strong in their promotion of the white man’s culture?

I have gone through the Bible that we read and believe in, but I didn’t see any place where it is written that white wedding is the only recognised form of marriage. The Bible is a book about the Jewish people. Going through my Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I have not seen where it is written that weddings must take place in the church. I also looked at the lives of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, even the wedding in Galilee where Jesus turned water to wine; these weddings were carried out according to Jewish customs and traditions.

The Jews never bought another man’s culture and way of life. If truly we are the spiritual Jews as we claim, are we supposed to throw our own culture to the background and embrace the white man’s culture? Now, I am beginning to understand my teachers when they told me that the white men came to us with the Bible and the Plough. They came to destroy our culture, both the good and the bad, and brainwashed us into accepting theirs in entirety
More at
http://www.ndokwablogs.com/psychological-slavery-of-africans/

2 Likes

Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by RandomAfricanAm: 8:32am On Dec 11, 2014
The best speaker on this topic is Dr. Marimba Ani her book "Yurugu: an African centered critique of European cultural thought & behavior" Goes deep into this very topic and will make everything you mentioned very clear.

Note: it is an extremely academic book in terms of her terminology.(She's an anthropologist) Some people keep a dictionary handy while reading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4N4QRDmzTE
Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by BigBashiru: 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
I wish I could agree with you but I cant. Here are some statistics:

i.) Get username and password from diamond bank - 4 months no success
ii.) Get proxy chequebook pick up from another bank - 4 months no success

They know how to do the job but are just long winded encouraging laziness by asking you to fill one form after the other and showing general laxity. Is the culture you want me to be proud of. Even these banks the phone/ automated system is in british accent; what happened to nigerian accent?

Speaking of born again, the Bible makes it clear only a selected remnant will go to heaven so majority of mankind will perish, so christianity doesnt bring that much solace. nobody knows if they will be the ones to perish causing heightened tensions.

About white wedding, you are right...but nigeria has a lazy culture and that is nothing to be proud about...
Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by sowhatifiamibo(m): 6:24pm On Dec 12, 2014
okomogo:
White wedding, as the name implies, is a wedding for the whites. I was not born in the era of the white missionaries in Nigeria, but I know that beside destroying some devilish practices and bringing the gospel to us, the missionaries did so much harm to Africa from the cultural perspective.

We are all happy claiming to be free from the era of slave trade, but the truth is that we are still slaves to the white man in more ways than one. Just yesterday while speaking with a friend on Skype, this issue came to my mind, and I posted it as a question on my Facebook wall. I also had the urge to talk about it in this column and bare my mind on this issue of white wedding. . From the responses to my Facebook Wall post, I realised that some actually know the truth, but they don’t want to come out in the open and say it because their religious leaders are watching. I also know that some of my readers who claim to be born again, but are actually fanatics won’t see reason with me.

By the grace of God, I am a born-again Christian who does her best to live in accordance with Biblical principles. But this has been a source of worry to me since I became an adult. Why do we now prefer the white man’s culture when it comes to weddings? Why have we suddenly relegated our own rich culture to the background and have indirectly told the white man that his culture is superior? How did we give the place of traditional marriage to church wedding? Why has the judicial system embraced the white man’s culture and thrown our own away? Why are the churches strong in their promotion of the white man’s culture?

I have gone through the Bible that we read and believe in, but I didn’t see any place where it is written that white wedding is the only recognised form of marriage. The Bible is a book about the Jewish people. Going through my Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I have not seen where it is written that weddings must take place in the church. I also looked at the lives of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, even the wedding in Galilee where Jesus turned water to wine; these weddings were carried out according to Jewish customs and traditions.

The Jews never bought another man’s culture and way of life. If truly we are the spiritual Jews as we claim, are we supposed to throw our own culture to the background and embrace the white man’s culture? Now, I am beginning to understand my teachers when they told me that the white men came to us with the Bible and the Plough. They came to destroy our culture, both the good and the bad, and brainwashed us into accepting theirs in entirety
More at
http://www.ndokwablogs.com/psychological-slavery-of-africans/
[b]I totally agree with you in this regard!! Our culture and customs have been replaced with foreign,alien practices and yet we still label ourselves "African"!! Most of what we do today back home reflects European culture and tradition more than ours and hardly deserves that term "African". A vast majority of our folks seem to think that conducting the "White" marriage ceremony soon after the traditional rites have been performed validates or authentics the union. It's like saying that the couple are not yet husband and wife until they perform the ceremony in church like white folks do!! Personally,I don't see what the big deal is and it's evidence of a persisting inferiority complex amongst us Africans,who think everything European,Foreign or "White" is way better than our own indigenous customs and tradition. How many white couples perform traditional marriage rites like we do to validate or solidify their union? None whatsoever!!! That says a lot!! [/b]
Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by okomogo(m): 10:42pm On Jan 16, 2015
sowhatifiamibo:
[b]I totally agree with you in this regard!! Our culture and customs have been replaced with foreign,alien practices and yet we still label ourselves "African"!! Most of what we do today back home reflects European culture and tradition more than ours and hardly deserves that term "African". A vast majority of our folks seem to think that conducting the "White" marriage ceremony soon after the traditional rites have been performed validates or authentics the union. It's like saying that the couple are not yet husband and wife until they perform the ceremony in church like white folks do!! Personally,I don't see what the big deal is and it's evidence of a persisting inferiority complex amongst us Africans,who think everything European,Foreign or "White" is way better than our own indigenous customs and tradition. How many white couples perform traditional marriage rites like we do to validate or solidify their union? None whatsoever!!! That says a lot!! [/b]

sometimes i just wish we could create this awareness, coz our cultures are heading to extinction
Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 10:31am On Jan 17, 2015
thank God am able to locate this section it will go a long way influences my action today I mean I have learnt a lot in a couple of minute
however,
to a very large extent I will agree with you on this,considering how this Christianity issue cropped in self to Africa this will be very clear to education student that it was a cover up mechanism of the white to come back to us after slave trade they called it love your neighbor as your self. it is how ever worth mentioning that to an extent they brought us something that open our eyes
sir, a sister of mine recently did a wedding and before then during the processes she consulted some elders on items the groom will bring, even I myself was shock to see some terrible items to be brought
mean while I am not advocating for total cancellation of the system. I will love we see it as an alternative God so good we have people who can do the two together and I want to say that the with one even had meanings to the processes
thank you

1 Like

Re: Psychological Slavery In Africa by nlPoster: 11:51am On Sep 29, 2019
Most people have both traditional and white wedding because it's a reflection of modern times. If you include traditional engagement, that's three wedding ceremonies for one couple.

We really cant wish away our history, it's good to uphold tradition, but white wedding has also been our tradition for more than a century.

In any case, barring expenses, people should do what is convenient for them or whichever type of wedding they prefer.

(1) (Reply)

Live Video Of Ameh Oboni / A Simple Mathematics For Peter Obi Chances In 2023 Election / Learn Ibibio!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.