Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,183 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand (901 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / My Engagement aω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ Wedding Pictures / Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Eve62(f): 11:43am On Dec 12, 2014
I just surprisingly learnt that the reason from ancient times why wedding and engagement rings are placed on the left hand is because it is believed that there is a vein (vena amoris) that connects from the heart (being at the left hand side) to left hand and the ring fings which indicates that your husband/fiance' is close to ur heart keeping feelings, emotions and continuous love. In thesame vein, the wedding ring is placed first before the engagement ring sothat the wedding ring is closer to the heart.
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by braine(m): 11:49am On Dec 12, 2014
Good to know.
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Infomizer(m): 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2014
Eve62:
I just surprisingly learnt that the reason from ancient times why wedding and engagement rings are placed on the left hand is because it is believed that there is a vein (vena amoris) that connects from the heart (being at the left hand side) to left hand and the ring fings which indicates that your husband/fiance' is close to ur heart keeping feelings, emotions and continuous love. In thesame vein, the wedding ring is placed first before the engagement ring sothat the wedding ring is closer to the heart.

Couldn't help but spot the unintended pun! wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Eve62(f): 12:16pm On Dec 12, 2014
Infomizer:

Couldn't help but spot the unintended pun! wink

sorry for the spelling. If you know the right spelling pls correct it and i'll appreciate.
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Infomizer(m): 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2014
Eve62:

sorry for the spelling. If you know the right spelling pls correct it and i'll appreciate.

You got me wrong. I wasn't talking about any spelling. I was referring to your apt, albeit, unintended play on words. You were talking about how a vein connects to the heart, followed by your use of the phrase "In the same vein". That's very cool! I was complimenting you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Eve62(f): 7:12pm On Dec 12, 2014
Infomizer:

You got me wrong. I wasn't talking about any spelling. I was referring to your apt, albeit, unintended play on words. You were talking about how a vein connects to the heart, followed by your use of the phrase "In the same vein". That's very cool! I was complimenting you.

ok. Thanks
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 12, 2014
What about couples who don't wear rings @ all Is their spouse not close 2 dia hearts ?
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Eve62(f): 10:39am On Dec 13, 2014
lofty900:
What about couples who don't wear rings @ all Is their spouse not close 2 dia hearts ?

there are couples who dont wear wedding rings but every couple has a symbol of their love. That symbol irrespective of what it is is close to their hearts. Its just that the rings have specific meaning or indication as i've found out.
Re: Why Wedding And Engagement Rings Are On The Left Hand by Tmex(m): 11:02am On Dec 13, 2014
Perhaps because the right hand should be used to down the Amala and ewedu. lol u know nah

(1) (Reply)

10 Year Old Twin Sisters Lose Their Lives After Ghastly Car Accident (photo) / . / For Good Quality Kid Stuff, Just Trust Us!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.