Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? (3687 Views)

Eba Eating Food Competition ( OMG!!! See Swallow) / (PHOTO) Introducing New Recipe- GREEN EBA A.k.a 'ebbage'. / Why Do D Ibos Call Eba ''garri'' ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by gistmelove(m): 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2014
In da camp @ benue state...

Arguement goin on now.. We are taking Eba for the lunch today.. And one of my guy(ibo guy) belong to the kitchen dept...

And we asked him what are we taking for lunch
his reply is Garri...

Everybody jus dy confused that u mean we are soaking garri this afternoon??

He now said that noo that is talkin abt eba...

My question now goes to all the ibo brother and sister on nairaland that.. Why do u call Eba Garri??
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by mifavour(f): 12:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
whats d difference na? me am igbo, I call eba garri and garri eba
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by gistmelove(m): 12:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
mifavour:
whats d difference na? me am igbo, I call eba garri and garri eba

yeah that is what i wanna knw... Becos as a typical yoruba boi..

garri mean d one u hv nt added hot/warm waer to..

But

immediately u add hot water.. He as turn to eba..

Hope u gt me?? But ibo ppl do call the both garri

why??
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by mifavour(f): 12:54pm On Dec 13, 2014
gistmelove:

But

why??

I dunno o...
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by rawpadgin(m): 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2014
the tin tire too o

na strong thing garri see b4 he change to eba

2 Likes

Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by experimentist: 1:00pm On Dec 13, 2014
I use to wonder that shits too.
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by tryke(f): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2014
rawpadgin:
the tin tire too o

na strong thing garri see b4 he change to eba
lol
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Francman(m): 3:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
Eba is a Yoruba word, nt Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by gistmelove(m): 3:30pm On Dec 13, 2014
Francman:

what of garri??
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by ChristyG(f): 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2014
Francman:
but garri is not an ibo name
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Francman(m): 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2014
ChristyG:
but garri is not an ibo name
Lets say garri's bn Igbolised. I knew eba from book first.

1 Like

Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Francman(m): 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2014
gistmelove:

what of garri??
Garri's more Igbo. Eba is far removed, jus creeping in.
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by ChristyG(f): 6:25pm On Dec 13, 2014
Francman:

Lets say garri's bn Igbolised. I knew eba from book first.
i dont understand what u mean by igbolised?i ave always known garri since i was little and it had nothing to do with d ibo tribe.from ijebu garri to eba
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
Question should be where did the word "garri" originate from?

We all know Eba is a yoruba word, and not only do the Igbos not use it, other tribes don't either. Correct me if I'm wrong though

3 Likes

Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Nobody: 5:33am On Dec 14, 2014
masonkz:
Question should be where did the word "garri" originate from?

We all know Eba is a yoruba word, and not only do the Igbos not use it, other tribes don't either. Correct me if I'm wrong though

Surprisingly, the word "garri' or "gaari" is actually derived from Hausa. It means "grinded grain form". However to use the word garri alone in hausa does not make complete sense without being more specific of the source. That is why the garri we drink, in hausa is known as Gaarin Rogo or kwaki (ie words for cassava in hausa) indicating grinded cassava.

Grinded maize is called Gaarin Masara(maize)
Grinded millet is called Gaarin Hatsi (millet)
Grinded wheat is called Gaarin alkama (wheat)
Grinded guinea corn is called gaarin dawa
even powder in hausa is called Gaarin foda
Flour is called Gaarin flawa
Sugar is called gaarin siga
the list goes on and on...

Ground food stuff ((cereal) mixed with water used to be the major diet in the north many centuries ago. This was especially so for travelers who cannot always carry cooked meals. Traveling on horseback on donkeys and trekking takes very long time and required ready fast food. For example nowadays 1hr 15min. Takes you to kano from Zaria. Before 120 years ago it was a standard 5 days journey and you need to take a lot of "garri" with you.

The age of this ancient word in Hausa language can be realized by its occurence in old proverbs and in the naming of towns and villages.
1. "Yaro da Garri Abokin tafiyar manya". Meaning - A young boy who has Garri (powdered cereal) can journey with the elders.
2. Wanda Allah Ya zuba Ma GARInsa nono Ba zai sha da tsamiya Ba. Meaning- whoever God pours milk in his Garri he will not have to drink it with just tamarind. ( milk with Garri was luxury while tamarind fruit available in the forest can just improve the taste.)
3." Wanka da GARI ba ya maganin yunwa. " Meaning- taking bath with Garri is not a cure for hunger.
Think about the meaning of these 3 old proverbs.

You may also remember an old town in sokoto state called "Shagari"( where a former president comes from.) The name denotes affluence as indicated by a lot of Garri you can drink.

4 Likes

Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by sunnshyn(f): 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2014
gistmelove:

But

why??

..Smh!! A youth corper. It is well
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by gistmelove(m): 12:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
sunnshyn:

..Smh!! A youth corper. It is well

scholar pls what do u mean by shm!!

Hope no p?? grin
Re: Why Ibo People Call Eba Garri? by Agrika: 10:47pm On Jan 09, 2015
Maple:

Surprisingly, the word "garri' or "gaari" is actually derived from Hausa. It means "grinded grain form". However to use the word garri alone in hausa does not make complete sense without being more specific of the source. That is why the garri we drink, in hausa is known as Gaarin Rogo or kwaki (ie words for cassava in hausa) indicating grinded cassava.

Grinded maize is called Gaarin Masara(maize)
Grinded millet is called Gaarin Hatsi (millet)
Grinded wheat is called Gaarin alkama (wheat)
Grinded guinea corn is called gaarin dawa
even powder in hausa is called Gaarin foda
Flour is called Gaarin flawa
Sugar is called gaarin siga
the list goes on and on...

Ground food stuff ((cereal) mixed with water used to be the major diet in the north many centuries ago. This was especially so for travelers who cannot always carry cooked meals. Traveling on horseback on donkeys and trekking takes very long time and required ready fast food. For example nowadays 1hr 15min. Takes you to kano from Zaria. Before 120 years ago it was a standard 5 days journey and you need to take a lot of "garri" with you.

The age of this ancient word in Hausa language can be realized by its occurence in old proverbs and in the naming of towns and villages.
1. "Yaro da Garri Abokin tafiyar manya". Meaning - A young boy who has Garri (powdered cereal) can journey with the elders.
2. Wanda Allah Ya zuba Ma GARInsa nono Ba zai sha da tsamiya Ba. Meaning- whoever God pours milk in his Garri he will not have to drink it with just tamarind. ( milk with Garri was luxury while tamarind fruit available in the forest can just improve the taste.)
3." Wanka da GARI ba ya maganin yunwa. " Meaning- taking bath with Garri is not a cure for hunger.
Think about the meaning of these 3 old proverbs.

You may also remember an old town in sokoto state called "Shagari"( where a former president comes from.) The name denotes affluence as indicated by a lot of Garri you can drink.
Pls stop spreading lies here, actually the hausas borrowed that word from the south-southerners, most especially edo people

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! Where Can I Find Low Fat Yoghurt In Lagos? / Orijin Zero No Sugar Drink Launch Photos / How To Prepare Ofe Akwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.