Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria (984 Views)

Upgrade Or Renew Your 2010 Norton Antivirus To 2011 1year Subscription #1,000 / How Do I Remove NAV2004 (Norton Antivirus 2004) From My PC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by cb917d: 5:38am On Dec 14, 2014
I find this ugly marketing tactic used by Norton Antivirus (Symantec) disappointing, shameful and so 1990. Shameful not for my country of origin, Nigeria but shameful for an organisation as big and global as Norton to embark on such cheap and unprofessional marketing campaign to win users over subscription. I wasn't any surprised this issue had been previously raised when I searched online but surprised the company has chosen to ignore and keep pushing the renewal alerts on the computer screens of their millions of users for more than a year.

Just a few hours before this event and my posting this topic, I got a delivery and the delivery man, of Somali origin thought he could throw some cheap shots at me and at Nigerians in general because he had waited outside longer than normal for about 5 min before I answered the doorbell. My response to him is not worthy to appear here but he would wish he was never born.

Now my question is, why wasn't phrases like "Russian hackers", "Chinese spyware", "German virus" or the negative mention of these countries used? Obviously because they give a hoot about offending powerful countries as those and won't lose a wink of sleep when Nigerians or the Nigerian government gets offended. I see from the previous topic (similar outbursts which will most likely follow this post) that some let themselves and their country open to attacks, whether physical, verbal, or expressive, implied or explicit from foreign nationals or organisations and for that fact entertain stereotyping, not knowing that it only breeds further intimidation and discrimination. No one can oppress you without your permission. I hope Nigerians start becoming sensitive, reactive and at least fake some pride because monkey no fine, hin mama like am.

Attached: The renewal alert and previous topic.

Re: Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by cb917d: 5:43am On Dec 14, 2014
I contacted Norton support to bring their attention to this and the following is the conversation that ensued. I would like to read your reactions to this topic.

Re: Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by fr3do(m): 6:04am On Dec 14, 2014
Any Nigerian, any West African reading this, should for the sake of dignity, boycott all products from Norton antivirus (Symantec) and even urge other Nigerians and west Africans to follow suit.

Nigeria has a population of over 170 million, they have no regard for that much people. And fellow west Africans should be concerned, if they can lash out on Nigeria, they already have contempt for west Africa.
Re: Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 6:30am On Dec 14, 2014
Sharp customer agent grin
Re: Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by tunde300us(m): 3:31am On Dec 17, 2014
The customer agent is probably one indian in a shanty saying nonsense,do u know the agent in question might never has seen any of those pop ups once in his life
Re: Norton Antivirus Stereotypes Nigeria by nymphomaniac(m): 10:08am On Dec 17, 2014
what rubbish

(1) (Reply)

Hot Deal And Super Neat Gateway FX Edition Gaming Laptop 1 Gig Nvidia / What To Consider When Buying A Used Laptop? / What's The Difference Between Hybrid Sleep, Hibernate, Sleep, Shutdown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.