Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,102 members, 7,842,177 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (71805 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2014
[b]Walks into the class, "Good afternoon class," staring at the students who sit at the front, trying to locate Leki, Tex, Donifez, Everest, Gloria, and Sam at the front, couldn't find anyone[b/]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
Lol. I'm here. Start the class abeg.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
b]Walks into the class, "Good afternoon class," staring at the students who sit at the front, trying to locate Leki, Tex, Donifez, Everest, Gloria, and Sam at the front, couldn't find anyone[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2014
cisse7575:
Walks into the class, "Good afternoon class," staring at the students who sit at the front, trying to locate Leki, Tex, Donifez, Everest, Gloria, and Sam at the front, couldn't find anyone
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:10pm On Dec 25, 2014
Tonight I'll discus white space, line breaks, stanzas and capitals at the beginnings of lines,

Note that “rules” can be broken, but it’s important to know the conventions of poetry well.

2 Likes

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:18pm On Dec 25, 2014
[b]Line Breaks and White Space in Poems

One of the most obvious things we can notice about poems is that they look different from prose (or non-poems). Poems have shorter lines than paragraphs, and they are surrounded by white space. The place where a poet chooses to end one line and begin another is called a line break. Thus, the ends of lines are called "line breaks."

White space is the area around the poem. If you were writing on a red piece of paper, I suppose you could call it "red space," but we really do call it "white space."

Line breaks and white space help readers know how to read a poem out loud and inside their heads. Sometimes one makes a weeny pause at the end of a line, to honor the rhythm and emphasis placed there by the poet. However, poems are not meant to have huge pauses at the end of each line, and they should not be read like a whole class of students yelling something like; "GOOD MORNING MISTER SO- and -SO![/b]

2 Likes

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ride on Cisse. Yo making sense!
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by leki10(m): 9:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
*walks into class silently*...ride on partner
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
Feeling you..keep it coming.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:25pm On Dec 25, 2014
Did you ever notice how groups of people can sound like robots when they say the same thing at the same time? It is understandable how this happens as a group reads together, but this is not really a good way to read poems. Robot-read words lose meaning. When we read aloud or in our heads, it is important that we hold onto the meaning and read with that in mind.

Do not read like a robot as you read line breaks in your own or others' poems.

Do pay close attention to line breaks and white space. Notice how a poet makes decisions. Do the repeating lines all look alike? Does one word or one line stand all by itself? Do lines go down the page in a certain way? Why do you think the poet did this?

Read like a human being with emotions and a thinking mind, not like some programmed machines.

(Did you see how I put that one sentence on a line all by itself?)

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 25, 2014
grin I've forgotten.

Hi Tisher
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by youngcrysta(f): 9:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
coolyes
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
preshuzpearl:
grin I've forgotten.

Hi Tisher
Why are you opening all your teeth at a male teacher?
You'll be expelled for indecent conduct. embarassed
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
[b]Examples of Line Break from Literature

Example #1

With his own sword,
Which he did wave against my throat, have ta’en

His head from him

I am absolute

Twas very Cloten

(Cymbeline by WilliamShakespeare)

There are two line break examples in the given passage. One line break cuts the lines in the middle of the second line. Another line break is used in the fourth line, “I” being a person has an absolute meaning. These line breaks are determining the visual shape of this text.

Example #2

Match’d with an aged wife,I mete and dole

Unequal laws unto a savage race,

That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.
I cannot rest from travel:

I
will drink

Life to the lees:All times

have enjoy’d

Greatly,

I
have suffer’d greatly
both with those
That loved me, and alone, on shore, and when
Vext the dim sea: I am become a name
Much have I seen and known; cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments

(Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson)[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:38pm On Dec 25, 2014
Do you all understand before I proceed?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Oahray: 9:40pm On Dec 25, 2014
Unkle, a question...

What is 'weeny pause' in your first lecture post?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by leki10(m): 9:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
laykorn:

Ayamlaykorn
Nothing is indecent abt my students conduct.....oga pressy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
There are many line breaks within this extract. In line three, a line break cuts the two lines at, “I mete and dole”. Similarly, a break occurs in other lines like “I will drink…”, “all times I have enjoyed” and “I am become a name”.

Example #3
My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense
, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drain
.:….
That thou, Light-winged Dryad of the trees
In some melodious plot

Of beechen green, and shadows numberless,
Singest of summer in full-throated ease

(Ode to a Nightingale by John Keats)
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 25, 2014
Lecturer,I was in class,but I will copy my note tomorrow and also do my assignment...
Mr laykorn,I missed ur class last time,will do everything tomorrow if am less busy....
Thanks for all your help,I appreciate smiley
Merry christmas to our wonderful teachers.and students....you guys r da bomb lol I meant best....
Goodnight...sowi am sleepy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
laykorn:

Ayamlaykorn

Ah. I don't want to be expelled oh lipsrsealed angry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
Oahray:
Unkle, a question...

What is 'weeny pause' in your first lecture post?
very small
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:53pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ghostlady:
Lecturer,I was in class,but I will copy my note tomorrow and also do my assignment...
Mr laykorn,I missed ur class last time,will do everything tomorrow if am less busy....
Merry christmas to our wonderful teachers.and students....you guys r da bomb lol I meant best....
OK,no prob.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by leki10(m): 9:53pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ghostlady:
you are sighted dear
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 25, 2014
cisse7575:
Do you all understand before I proceed?

Nope undecided Pls explain further
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by leki10(m): 9:55pm On Dec 25, 2014
The post above needs attention... cisse7575
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:57pm On Dec 25, 2014
This excerpt is also filled with several line breaks. These include “the center cannot hold”, “and everywhere….” The poet takes the readers into surprising and multiple ideas.

Example #5

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive,

stamped on these lifeless things
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains.

Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck,boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

(Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

This extract is also a good example of line breaks. These line breaks are providing dynamism to the poem, also giving breaks in the flow of reading.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:03pm On Dec 25, 2014
[/b]The line break and within 'must/n't' allows a double reading of the word as both 'must' and 'mustn't', whereby the reader is made aware that old age both enjoins and forbids the activities of youth. At the same time, the line break subverts 'mustn't': the forbidding of a certain activity—in the poem's context, the moral control the old try to enforce upon the young—only serves to make that activity more enticing.

While Cummings's line breaks are used in a poetic form that is intended to be appreciated through a visual, printed medium, line breaks are also present in poems predating the advent of printing. Some examples are to be found, for instance, in Shakespeare's sonnets; however, some Early Modernists[who?]would argue that such an effect wasn't consciously intended by Shakespeare to be read as line breaks, which arise from the advent of printing as a method of distribution, which has a contextual effect upon that which is to be distributed. Here are two examples of this technique operating in different ways in Shakespeare's Cymbeline:

In the first example, the line break between the last two lines cuts them apart, emphasizing the cutting off of the head:

With his own sword,

Which he did wave against my throat, I have ta'en
His head from him.

— William Shakespeare, Cymbeline[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Buqqui: 10:05pm On Dec 25, 2014
***breaths heavily as he rushes into the class***

Why people no plenty for class today?
Exhausted Today was really good be that oo.

Oga cisse7575,
Carry dey go,I'm feeling you plenty.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
Stanza

In poetry, a stanza is a division of four or more lines having a fixed length, meter or rhyming scheme.

Stanzas in poetry are similar to paragraphs in prose. Both stanzas and paragraphs include connected thoughts and are set off by a space. The number of lines varies in different kinds of stanzas but it is uncommon for a stanza to have more than twelve lines. The pattern of a stanza is determined by the number of feet in each line and by its metrical or rhyming scheme.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
cisse7575:
[/b]The line break and within 'must/n't' allows a double reading of the word as both 'must' and 'mustn't', whereby the reader is made aware that old age both enjoins and forbids the activities of youth. At the same time, the line break subverts 'mustn't': the forbidding of a certain activity—in the poem's context, the moral control the old try to enforce upon the young—only serves to make that activity more enticing.

While Cummings's line breaks are used in a poetic form that is intended to be appreciated through a visual, printed medium, line breaks are also present in poems predating the advent of printing. Some examples are to be found, for instance, in Shakespeare's sonnets; however, some Early Modernists[who?]would argue that such an effect wasn't consciously intended by Shakespeare to be read as line breaks, which arise from the advent of printing as a method of distribution, which has a contextual effect upon that which is to be distributed. Here are two examples of this technique operating in different ways in Shakespeare's Cymbeline:

In the first example, the line break between the last two lines cuts them apart, emphasizing the cutting off of the head:

With his own sword,

Which he did wave against my throat, I have ta'en
His head from him.

— William Shakespeare, Cymbeline[/b]

I don't understand
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
[b]Stanzas Examples in English Poetry

On the basis of a fixed number of lines and rhyming scheme, traditional English language poems have the following kinds of stanzas:

Couplet- consists of two rhyming lines having the same meter.
Tercet- comprises three lines following a same rhyming scheme a a a or have a rhyming pattern a b a. Sir Thomas Wyatt introduced tercet in 16th century.
Quatrain- is a form of stanza popularized by a Persian poet, Omar Khayyam, who called it a Rubai. It has common rhyming schemes a a a a, a a b b, a b a b.
Quintain- also referred to as cinquain is a stanza of five lines which may be rhymed or unrhymed and has a typical stress pattern. Its invention is attributed to Crapsey.
Sestet- is a kind of stanza that consists of six lines. It is the second division of Italian or sonnets of Petrarch following an octave or the first division comprising eight lines.
In a sonnet, a sestet marks a change of emotional state of a poet as they tend to be more subjective in the second part of the sonnet.[/b]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.