Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial (10914 Views)

Nokia N81 8gb Issues / Simple Tutorial On How To Mod Opera Mini With Your Phone And Other Software / In Need Of Nokia N81 Firmware Upgrade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2008
Hey guys, finally I’ve got the update!! The thread abt the n95 firmware upgrade (by Dual core) inspired me to get an update for my phone. I have an N81 8GB RM-179. It was previously on a debranded v 11.0.045 (check this with *#0000#) which i recently upgraded to v20.0.056, If anyone's debranded an n81 8gb before its pretty easy and the same method. This guide's for the noobies or for people who just need the product code
PS follow step by step,

I HAD PROBLEMS ATTACHING IMAGES TO THIS POST BUT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE TUTORIAL DOCUMENT FROM THIS LINK TO SEE THE IMAGES

http://rapidshare.com/files/170780923/N81_firmware_update.doc.html

1. Firstly, we need to change the product code of the phone to 0557872.

The procedure to change the product code is as follows, but be careful! If u are in Nigeria make sure u have steady light from PHCN or fuel full ur generator, I can’t say what happens in the event of a power failure
THEN
- Download and install Nemesis Software Suite (called also NSS) from http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS103814.zip
- Launch the program (During the setup select the "Virtual USB" option)
- Connect your phone  to PC via USB cable and if prompted and select “PC suite”
- In NSS select “Scan for new devices” (icon with magnifying glass)

- Select “Phone Info”

- Select “Read” in “Product Data Edit” section (After which some numbers in blue will fill up those boxes.)

- Tick the “Enable” checkbox next to “product code” and enter a product code (that is 0557872) you chose in table
- Select “Write”
- Bottom left status bar will indicate when this is complete, with the message “Write new values… Done”

- unplug phone and exit NSS

Now you can update your phone using Nokia Software Updater, who will detect automatically the new product code, and the new firmware without operator brand and with English and Italian languages.

This procedure is useful if you bought your phone outside your country, without or with limited warranty and you would like to change language to English or Italian and take off the operator brand variant. Be careful! Following those steps you can violate the contract with your operator and, however, you will lost the warranty.

This procedure will NOT disable any OPERATOR LOCK nor SIM LOCK. 

2. I followed this guide and changed my product code to 0557872 (formerly 0557873)

3. Next, I upgraded my Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Software Updater to the latest versions from the Nokia website.

4. Next, I took appropriate backups of my phone (just in case anything happens). Although this step isn't completely necessary because the software update doesn't wipe out your existing data and settings.

5. Next, connect your phone to the PC via USB in PC Suite mode and check for updates. It should tell you there's one available.

6. Start the update!

DONE!
Note that if you want - for safety reasons - change your product code back to the old one found below your battery on the phone on a sticker (should be 05xxxxx) just in case anything happens to your phone in the future and you plan to send it back to a service centre for repair! This is for those whose phones are still under warranty, Tell them that's how you got it, period!
[size=14pt]
After evertything, even if the PCsuite says update failed (ur mind fit cut) u should leave ur phone still connected to the pc with the phone screen displaying “local Mode” DON’T PANIC.

Just switch off the phone and turn it back on…,  VOILA!!!!, ze fon now has firmware version V20.0.056
NOTICE THAT THE PHONE NOW HAS A VISTA-LIKE TRANSITION IN THE MENU (for those that use vista,  cool!!) and ur flash player has been upgraded to V3.0
[/size]

you can see the video of a phone dat is using this current firmware here
http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/07/nokia_n81_gets_an_update.htm

I’m still looking out for other improvements and I will post them as soon as possible

Hope this helps!

Though I like this phone I still LOVE SE phones
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by stancozy(m): 2:49pm On Dec 06, 2008
Gøod work dude! cool
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by DualCore1: 3:05pm On Dec 06, 2008
Vista-like transition? Argghhhh did u hav to say tht Oh the jealousy i've got now, lol. The nokia software updater can also work if tht firmware's executable pack is gotten. I'l help look 4 tht pack soon. Nice tut, nitro.
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by kulex2k1(m): 1:00pm On Dec 11, 2008
@n.oxide
Just got my phone updated followed ur steps.
But i fear small when my pc suite say update failed, e even disconnect sef. but i just lock up!
really cool vista like transition in the menu.
thanks man!
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 12, 2008
@kulex2k1
lol. It happened 2 me too datz why i specified it. i know how u must ve felt. Did u notice d navi wheel now works in d messages menu and it is smoother while scrolling in d music library

Well i don't ve a rapidshare account so if u can't download from the link i gave it means the file duration has expired but don't worry, u can still contact me 4 d file, I'll mail it 2 u. peace
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by kulex2k1(m): 6:25pm On Dec 12, 2008
i actually got all the files from your link, and yes o! am loving my fone a lot more.
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2009
HAPPY NEW YEAR all! Has anyone heard about the new v21 FW update. I heard it was released officially to all product codes as at November last year. The thing is I tried the 2 product codes (my original and the other one earlier posted) on the nokia software updater but I couldn't find any update. Please any one who records any progress should feel free to post the steps here. Thank you

Meanwhile. . . anyone played Resident Evil Degeneration lately? well I downloaded the full version on my ngage and I've completed the game just this afternoon (talk about killing boredom). The game is really nice adn I must tell you, there is no better way to start your new year on ur n81 without testing this game [size=4pt]that's 4 those who lluv games[/size] and the good news is u can it from http://rapidshare.com/files/176865208/Capcom.Resident.Evil.Degeneration.v1.00.05.N-GAGE.SymbianOS9.1.Cracked-BiNPDA.rar cheesy

I'm getting cracked up already I think I should start uploading screenshots

Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2009
here's a pic of my ngage games and another screenshot from resident evil

Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2009
OK, I might be going crazy but who cares? Get Metal Gear Solid on ur n81 now!

http://rapidshare.com/files/176864203/Konami.Metal.Gear.Solid.v2.0.0.N-GAGE.SymbianOS9.1.Cracked-BiNPDA.rar

Incase u are asked for any password while extracting use "irfree.com"

Please let's still search for that v21 firmware, incase ur wondering type "*#0000#" u'll see v, , that's ur current firmware version and if u want to do an upgrade, simply follow the first post on this thread and ur done.

safe guys.
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 03, 2009
Dual Core:

Vista-like transition? Argghhhh did u hav to say that Oh the jealousy i've got now, lol. The nokia software updater can also work if that firmware's executable pack is gotten. I'l help look 4 that pack soon. Nice tut, nitro.

lol, I didn't know it was called "FP2 transition" grin but I think it's cool
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
Ok everyone. . . I bring u. . . MGS. . ngage 2.0 style! cool

Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Heatblast(m): 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2009
I like this guy. You know game well well. Why d side of ur ngage games get dat yellow bar my own na trial day write.
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 04, 2009
there's something included in the package that does it. It's called patch.sis just install it on ur phone and voila! No more trial logo!

I retired from playing games on phone but u know what they say, "Retired, but not tired" happy sunday
Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2009
nairaland on n81

Re: Upgrade Your N81 Here - Simple Tutorial by Nobody: 5:12am On Jan 09, 2009
I just found out the V21 upgrade has not been released to all mobile operators. Maybe that's why it isn't available 2 us now. I'll try chking for an offline method if possible

(1) (Reply)

Repair All Your Android Phones Without Stress / Techno N7 Vs Used Samsung Galaxy S2 / Full Specs, Review And Price Of Tecno Phantom A3 (tecno Phantom AIII) In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.