Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Alhaji - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Alhaji (853 Views)

Alhaji Dollar-dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Alhaji by oyindelacreme(f): 6:19am On Dec 16, 2014
New series.. running on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Let me know what you think.

CHAPTER ONE
The bus driver pulled to a halt by the roadside. Leila stepped out of the bus.
“Fine girl abeg where is my money?” the conductor asked.
Leila took a look at him, he looked unkempt, his hair was uncombed, his face did not look washed, she could smell his stale breath and was not sure if it was from the local gin he and other conductors shared at the local park or if he just had terrible hygiene and could not afford to brush his teeth with a decent toothbrush and toothpaste.
“Do you have change for five hundred naira?” she asked.
“Ah fine girl, you didn’t tell me, I thought I told you that if you don’t have change you and someone should marry yourselves” the conductor replied.
Leila smiled, it was a common term that conductors used when the passenger had a large bill, and they had to find someone on the bus that had change for the large bill and pay for both after collecting the change from the other passenger they allegedly “married”.
“My dear, I didn’t find anyone to marry” Leila replied calmly.
“So what are we going to do?” the conductor asked,
“Go and look for change of course” Leila replied wondering why the conductor asked her such a ridiculous question.
“Ah Madam, see everyone on the bus has somewhere to go, abeg find change in your bag” the conductor said. Leila was trying hard to control her temper; she had a lecture and a pop quiz and was going to miss it if this blockhead of a conductor didn’t act responsibly.
“Do I look like I came here to count bread at this park, come on go and look for change abeg” Leila shouted all of a sudden not believing that she was losing her temper.
“Look we don’t have all day, conductor give her change let us go abeg” the lady wearing a red dress who was sitting by the window called out, some of the passengers were restless.
“Why don’t you give her change instead of running your mouth like diarrhea?” the conductor retorted.
“Are you talking to me like that conductor, you must be crazy” the lady replied. Leila could not understand why a well dressed and beautiful lady would want to exchange words with the conductor; even the smell of his breath would not even encourage a further conversation.
“Na you dey craze pass” the conductor replied. Leila was not comfortable with the current situation, if their conversation continued, there would be a fight and she was not ready to deal with any fight. A corn seller strolled by with her goods on her head. Leila looked at the young teenager who was supposed to be in the classroom as she diligently balanced the tray of maize on her head and bellowed.
“Sweet corn, sweet corn” the young lady bellowed attracting Leila’s attention.
“Come, how much” Leila called out, the girl happily went closer to Leila.
“Twenty naira” the young girl responded.
“Okay give me ten” Leila instructed as the girl set her tray on the sand, she brought out a plastic bag and put ten cobs of maize into it.
“Madam here is your bag” the maize seller replied and handed the bag to Leila who collected it and gave her the five hundred naira note.
“I hope you have change” Leila asked,
Re: Alhaji by Onemansquad(m): 7:55am On Dec 16, 2014
ftc

#alhaji? Mehn dis story go swit lyk sugar

0P ryd on *following*

1 Like

Re: Alhaji by oyindelacreme(f): 6:52am On Dec 19, 2014
ALHAJI 2

“ I have change ma” the girl replied as she removed the fanny pack from her belly and unzipped it pulling out a bundle of notes, she put the five hundred naira bill with the pile and gave her the change, Leila counted the money and gave the conductor his money.
“I hope you are happy now” Leila said as the conductor smiled and took the money from her.
“You be correct babe” the conductor replied.
“Yes oh” Leila said and smiled.
“Next time, I go allow you enter for free, you fine well well” the conductor said admiring Leila’s features. Leila smiled and walked away. She could hear the lady in the red dress holler at the conductor to stop drooling and get on the bus with them.

“The test was hard” Regina said as she strolled with Leila towards the cafeteria.
“I know, I didn’t finish number eleven, twelve and thirteen, I actually knew how to solve those questions but I didn’t have enough time.” Leila replied sadly.
“Why did you come late? I thought you overslept.” Regina said,
“It was this bus conductor that did not have change for five hundred naira, I was really upset.” Leila said,
“This transport situation is getting out of hand.” Regina replied.
“I know, it is rough but what can I do?” Leila asked.
“I don’t know, has the ministry settled your father.” Regina asked.
“Not yet, every day the poor man just loses hope” Leila replied “ I can’t wait to finish school so I can get a good job and help him.
“These days even getting a job is harder than going to school” Regina replied.
“For real, let’s go and get something to eat.”Leila suggested.
“Let’s go off campus” Regina said,
“Yes, there is that new restaurant that Bisi recommended us to try”
“Are you treating?” Regina asked.
“Maybe, let’s see how much I can spend or else both of us will wash plates if I don’t have enough money on my debit card. Leila said with a grin.
“A big babe like you cannot fall my hand, let’s go” Regina said and started walking briskly.
“Are you in a hurry, please slow down” Leila called out.
“My hunger does not understand your English, please walk fast.’ Regina yelled and walked even faster. Leila had to sprint to catch up with her.
The Red Hut was the new cuisine off campus that their friend Bisi had recommended. It was a very decent looking place even much better than they had expected, the menu was continental so they were not limited to the regular buka food that they were used to.
Leila ordered fried rice and chicken with a bottle of La Casera while Regina ordered pounded yam and egusi soup with a bottle of Malt. They sat at their table chatting when a tall man with his flowing agbada walked in, his assistant held his brief case in one hand and a cell phone in the other hand while he talked on a cell phone. Regina and Leila looked at each other. The tall man took the second cell phone from the assistant and dismissed her with a wave of hand. She walked away.

www.roseofsharonwrites..com

(1) (Reply)

A Mile In Their Shoe: Tobechukwu's Story / **RASAKI RASAKI Rasaki**the Short Story / Ordinary Black Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.