Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,620 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians (2103 Views)

The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon / LASU Bans The Use Of Burka In The New School Dress Codes / The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2014
Many Nigerians uses the word "uncomplete" instead of "incomplete". Even our journalists are guilty of this. I see the error in almost all Nigerian newspapers. If you think I'm wrong take up your dictionary and search for "uncomplete" you will search for it till jesus comes . So instead of us to say uncompleted building it should be incompleted building

**Modified**
After Google searching I actually saw UNCOMPLETED in an online dictionary now my question is which is more appropriate to use
Note:based on my research I only saw the word on online dictionaries I'm yet to see it in an offline dictionary including books

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by holatin(m): 9:21am On Dec 18, 2014
True word.

Tanx for d correction
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by menix(m): 9:23am On Dec 18, 2014
Thanx a lot, quite quilty too.

Modified:
Had 2 go check nd it doz exist, google it out.
Uncomplete is used wen works is still expected to b carried out.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by wiseone28: 9:26am On Dec 18, 2014
opyzy:
Many Nigerians uses the word "uncomplete" instead of "incomplete". Even our journalists are guilty of this. I see the error in almost all Nigerian newspapers. If you think I'm wrong take up your dictionary and search for "uncomplete" you will search for it till jesus comes . So instead of us to say uncompleted building it should be incompleted building
check your dictionary well cos mind said it means NOT COMPLETE

1 Like

Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:33am On Dec 18, 2014
wiseone28:
check your dictionary well cos mind said it means NOT COMPLETE
I think incomplete is more appropriate I use longman dictionary, the word isn't there I searched for it my phone's dictionary too same thing
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:34am On Dec 18, 2014
menix:
Thanx a lot, quite quilty too.

Modified:
Had 2 go check nd it doz exist, google it out.
Uncomplete is used wen works is still expected to b carried out.
you are right ...... Modified
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by mymadam(m): 9:38am On Dec 18, 2014
opyzy:
...So instead of us to say uncompleted building it should be incompleted building

Ha, ha! This should be moved to the JOKES Section, IMO. God bless Nigeria.
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:42am On Dec 18, 2014
mymadam:

Ha, ha! This should be moved to the JOKES Section, IMO. God bless Nigeria.
it has been modified
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by lomprico(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2014
See what mine said.

Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by mymadam(m): 10:10am On Dec 18, 2014
opyzy:
it has been modified

Okay. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by hayoakins(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2014
incomplete - Present tense
uncompleted - Past tense
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 12:56pm On Dec 18, 2014
lomprico:
See what mine said.
God bless thanks
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by fr3do(m): 4:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
It is accepted all over Nigeria, we all understand it, it sounds correct. Why shouldnt it be considered correct by you, op?
It is a Nigerian variation in english.
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by shaggy007(m): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
fr3do:
It is accepted all over Nigeria, we all understand it, it sounds correct. Why shouldnt it be considered correct by you, op?

As a matter of fact, NO.

It is not a "Nigerian Variation"

It is an actual word in the dictionary..
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by iamrealdeji(m): 5:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
Op,you have me confused though,check this out
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by fr3do(m): 5:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
shaggy007:

As a matter of fact, NO.

It is not a "Nigerian Variation"

It is an actual word in the dictionary..

but nevertheless, I still think our variations to the english should be recognised.
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by shaggy007(m): 5:41pm On Dec 18, 2014
fr3do:

but nevertheless, I still think our variations to the english should be recognised.

WORD
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 8:59pm On Dec 18, 2014
fr3do:
because I felt it was grammatically wrong according to an English textbook I read
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
iamrealdeji:
Op,you have me confused though,check this out
don't be using INCOMPLETE is more appropriate
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:07pm On Dec 18, 2014
babeline:
That's how they mistake 'flammable' for 'inflammable'. All those trucks you see on the road with "highly inflammable" painted boldly at the back instead of "highly flammable'.
you're right thanks
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:10pm On Dec 18, 2014
Re: The Use Of "Uncompleted" By Nigerians by opyzy(m): 9:17pm On Dec 18, 2014
sholabarrack84z:
it's not mistake both means the same. am quoting incomplete and uncomplete this time around, but ultimately incomplete is more literate to use.
exactly but UNCOMPLETE has gotten stuck to Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

Must Know!! Did You Know These Things Had Names? / LASPOTECH School Fees Payment And Registration Deadline, 2017/2018 / Exxonmobil Aptitude Test Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.