Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

On The Media Bullying - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / On The Media Bullying (448 Views)

Goats In Uniform: A Funny Story Of Students Bullying Their Teachers / The Internet Controls The Media, But The Nigerian Press Crawls Behind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On The Media Bullying by Hidentity(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
Dear friends/readers,

It is with profound respect that I write this to you.
First, I must point out that I appreciate everybody on my list irrespective of age, status, ethnic group, orientation, belief, religion and attitude. That there is diversity in our existence should not be a worry to any lucid man as that alone defines the beauty in our existence as a people. To me, what matters is the collective name both the lows and highs share: human.

This said; I am disturbed by what I tag the “please me” attitude of some friends on this medium. Not just that, but also the mud smearing attitude on every dissent from a person’s belief or philosophy about life. For the sake of clarity, I have developed thick skin against any form of media bullying and harsh criticisms. It does not to the least worry me; it gets me more stubborn and unrepentant about my take. After all, insult is the only weapon possessed by people bereaved of logic.

When the idea of posting here dawned on me, it was not primarily for people to read, like and comment. It was for the sake of documenting my autobiography. Eventually, the need to stop became inevitable due to personal reasons. Here is the truth, I am not afraid of criticism (whether harsh or constructive). One of the diversities in our existence is that we cannot be even in our assessment. I hardly encounter insults on what I write but when I do; I am not in the habit of replying in the same manner. I either reply with a “thank you” or honour such with silence.

I am aware that there are older people on my list; there are also people that are more intelligent, matured, experienced and sophisticated here. So, I always expect an intellectual dissent from whatever perspective I have of any issue. Interestingly, some would only read and get back to me through message. In fact, our friendship here over the time led to interpersonal relationship beyond the Zuckerberg’s platform. You have the freedom to type whatever you like as comment to contradict my ideology on any topic but please, do not try doing the same to a fellow reader or any of my friends. I am an aspiring writer, making a battle field of my wall does not in any way inspire the next topic.

I know that there are many alphabets in the English language and you have the right to render them useless all in an effort to insult, but I beg that you exclude other readers by not creating intellectual pollution. Thinkers do not see divergent opinion as a threat to their ego, it makes a challenge to sit up and be better. About the lengthy articles on my wall, your appetite for short stories cannot make me lose my scope and topics of interest. I write to express for anyone that cares to listen and not to impress. So, any form of criticism directed at me will be honoured and treated with respect, but if it is about the lengthy articles, it has nothing to do with the central idea and message. Therefore, that concern holds no water. I am not paid to entertain or please anyone here. I am here to learn and table my thoughts for intellectuals to collectively assess. By doing that we are all learning through the social forum.

Thanks to my avid readers, no good writer exists without rational readers. Thanks to my critics, the best of irons went through the burning furnace.

2 Likes

Re: On The Media Bullying by immortalcrown(m): 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2014
When the wise mouth speaks, the wise ear rejoices.

(1) (Reply)

Enter To Win This Exciting End Of Year Giveaway / Published Writers Needed / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.