Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

The Modernization Of My Family - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Modernization Of My Family (669 Views)

My Family / My Struggle With Irregular Verbs And English Modernization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Modernization Of My Family by mynaijastories: 6:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
THE MODERNIZATION OF MY FAMILY[color=#000000][/color] explores the clash between a western culture and the African culture. The daily life of a simple African family in a city in Nigeria is threatened by the visit from New York of Jason a black American relative who is on summer holidays. The family head finds himself in a conflict situation with Jason. He must safeguard his young impressionable kids from the overwhelming influence of American culture. Which side will win?

“I walk inside and i see Jason and the boys are sitting on the sofa totally engrossed in a music video playing on the Tv screen. There is a fat bearded man rapping on the Tv screen, he looks like a black American. There is a gold chain hanging around his neck, his bare chest is exposed and he occasionally blows smoke from the cigar stuck in between his lips. I see semi nude girls milling around him and all I can hear is “I am the boss!!”

What are you watching!? And why is the music so loud? I ask the boys who are surprised at my unexpected entry.

They turn around and quickly turn down the volume of the set. They’ve been caught off guard as they didn’t notice me coming in.

My two boys scamper away into their rooms.

“Jason what are you doing to these boys”? Didn’t they tell you that nobody watches this kind of music video in this house?”

“We aint doin nuffin wrong uncle…we listenin to real hiphop and chillin” Jason responds.

“Leave this sitting room! I’ve got a guest waiting to come in. I ordered him, my anger rising with every second.

“You is hatin on a young nigga’s swag” he mutters under his breath as he leaves the room.”

The man of the house must safeguard his African culture but he is fighting a losing battle as he laments….

“Everyone in this house is now mimicking Jason’s accent and acting all classy. They are giving each other high fives and using the words “Dawg, nigga, homie, shit and buddy”

http://mynaijastories.com/the-modernization-of-my-family/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Modernization Of My Family by itstpia8: 6:43pm On Dec 19, 2014
Just land them all in nigeria for a couple of months.
Re: The Modernization Of My Family by mynaijastories: 8:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
Well even in Nigeria we have kids like these who were brought up here in igeria.
itstpia8:
Just land them all in nigeria for a couple of months.
Re: The Modernization Of My Family by tpia0002: 7:31am On Dec 26, 2014
true, a lot depends on environment though.

(1) (Reply)

The Correlation Between Creativity And Mental Illness / ...the Love Just Dies / Lonely Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.