Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,644 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Why Do Parents Do This? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Parents Do This? (1193 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 20, 2014
Why do some parents not like their children getting too religious? They flare up when you say you want to become a priest or a reverend sister. Why? It is annoying.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by dein77(m): 7:14am On Dec 20, 2014
Valued:
Why do some parents not like their children getting too religious? They flare up when you say you want to become a priest or a reverend sister. Why? It is annoying.

I've wondered myself. Surprisingly, we reject these people we don't want our kids to be.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 20, 2014
Valued:
Well you can say for ur parents. My folks have always wanted me to go to a seminary, thinking cos i looked quiet, it would suit me well. *smirking* me coded bad boy, forming holy holy for them front...
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:

I've wondered myself. Surprisingly, we reject these people we don't want our kids to be.
I am just trying to calm down. Tomorrow when they have problems you see them running to church. Are the people they are running to not people's children?
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 20, 2014
youngpol:
Well you can say for ur parents. My folks have always wanted me to go to a seminary, thinking cos i looked quiet, it would suit me well. *smirking* me coded bad boy, forming holy holy for them front...
Lol
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 20, 2014
Valued:

Because;

1. They want grandchildren to comfort them in their old age.
2. Catholic Reverends and Nuns take vows of poverty which will undermine your parents dreams to be invited to Aso Rock when you are the President. They cannot even expect a gift of a mansion or the latest SUV from a priest.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by lecturerdabo(m): 11:45am On Dec 20, 2014
Abuamam:

Because;

1. They want grandchildren to comfort them in their old age.
2. Catholic Reverends and Nuns take vows of poverty which will undermine your parents dreams to be invited to Aso Rock when you are the President. They cannot even expect a gift of a mansion or the latest SUV from a priest.

Did I hear "vow of poverty"? Ask well pls before that line especially from Imolites!
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2014
lecturerdabo:

Did I hear "vow of poverty"? Ask well pls before that line especially from Imolites!

Well I know that the Catholic church as an institution does have wealth, but it is often used to establish schools, hospitals etc; at least in the countries I have been to. I do not see individual priests or nuns with, say, private jets as protestant leaders do. Even the pope flies Alitalia.

What do I know anyway, I'm not even Christian.

(Backing out of thread.)
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Ochiban: 2:41am On Dec 21, 2014
I think its because you lead a life of uncertainty and they cant predict your future. If you say you will marry, they know what will happen. If you go to school or dont go to school, they can predict the future of that decision. If you say you will follow God, they look at it like you are following the wind and God knows where that wind will carry you.

Personally, my parents got shocked when I became born again in SS1. I had a big personality change and i became more quiet and spent a lot of time alone praying and reading my bible. They didnt like it. I think it was also because they never went through such an experience so they didn't know what to expect.

I don't mind. i think it was necessary for me to learn how to stand strong in faith in times of opposition. It strengthened me for my future.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 21, 2014
Ochiban:
I think its because you lead a life of uncertainty and they cant predict your future. If you say you will marry, they know what will happen. If you go to school or dont go to school, they can predict the future of that decision. If you say you will follow God, they look at it like you are following the wind and God knows where that wind will carry you.

Personally, my parents got shocked when I became born again in SS1. I had a big personality change and i became more quiet and spent a lot of time alone praying and reading my bible. They didnt like it. I think it was also because they never went through such an experience so they didn't know what to expect.

I don't mind. i think it was necessary for me to learn how to stand strong in faith in times of opposition. It strengthened me for my future.
In my case, I started having so much passion for Christ after I met a brother in my church. I did even before I met him o, but he heightened everything. He taught me so much, I started attending daily mass, etc. It was really interesting and it changed my lifestyle. My mum started becoming uncomfortable when I started praying for hours... I never used to do that. The day I told her I was going to an orphanage home with members of my society in church, she provoked..lol. But that hasn't stopped me.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by twosquare(m): 10:51am On Dec 21, 2014
Valued:
be spiritual and not religious...on the second note(to ur question): people don't love Him but they want to get things from Him(and He knows).
They are afraid they're going to lose you to Him and losing you means fear of not getting material things(of course they are wrong) and they won't own ur life anymore(another person-God now owns it and there is this thing that angers people when they lose grip-authority over others).
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 21, 2014
twosquare:
be spiritual and not religious...on the second note(to ur question): people don't love Him but they want to get things from Him(and He knows).
They are afraid they're going to lose you to Him and losing you means fear of not getting material things(of course they are wrong) and they won't own ur life anymore(another person-God now owns it and there is this thing that angers people when they lose grip-authority over others).
I was just considering the possibility sef, not as if I've decided...well, sister or not, I will still work for God.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by twosquare(m): 11:16am On Dec 21, 2014
Valued:

I was just considering the possibility sef, not as if I've decided...well, sister or not, I will still work for God.
u can get married and still be spiritual...wait on the Lord...something big is about to happen in Christendom that will shape ur decision.
Re: Why Do Parents Do This? by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 21, 2014
twosquare:
u can get married and still be spiritual...wait on the Lord...something big is about to happen in Christendom that will shape ur decision.
Ok..thanks

(1) (Reply)

Scienctific Errorr Made By Ur Lord(jesus) In Bible / Muslims Demand Texas Mayor Surrender After She Attacked Shariah Court / Five Great Prayers To Say Before Going To Bed At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.