Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? (4602 Views)

4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 23, 2014
I read a comment by a fellow nairalander that 6 cylinder engines are stronger and more durable than the '4 cylinder' engines.
here is the post...
''V6 engines are actually better
than 4-cylinders. The only
advantage a 4-cylinder has over
the 6-cylinder is fuel economy.
NOTE: , ONLY advantage.
The v6 engine is stronger, last
longer, faster and gives you a
better driving experience, v6
engine cars are also more
balanced on the ground at top
speed than their 4-cylinder
counter-parts''
https://www.nairaland.com/668924/4-cylinder-engine-vs-6-cylinder-engine
...how true is this?...
Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Unionised(m): 12:16pm On Dec 23, 2014
Upgrades are supposed to be an improvement on previous releases.

4 to 6 cylinder.

Naturally...

1 Like

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by uboma(m): 12:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
Unionised:
Upgrades are supposed to be an improvement on previous releases.

4 to 6 cylinder.

Naturally...

Same line of thought...
Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by San2ski(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
Are V6 engines upgrades of i4s?
I don't think so.

1 Like

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 23, 2014
More contributions. Its good to be informed. Knowledge is power. CityNG, Lomomike, Ikenna, Sienna, learners and experienced car enthusiasts...if i didnt mention your name, you are also invited please.
Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 23, 2014
Whoever wrote that wrote from a position of lack of education on the subject matter.

A 4cylinder engine can both be more fuel efficient or more gas guzzling than a V6 or vice versa.

BMW 4cylinders are now making 240 horsepower while returning 35mpg

Ford Mustang 4 cylinders are giving 310horsepower while returning up to 32 mpg.

For Mustang V6 is ply giving 300 horsepower and still giving up to 28mog.

Moral of the story. stop comparing apples to oranges.

A Dodge Ram needs at minimum a 6cyl engine to develop the necessary torque. A family sedan can make do with a 4cyl engine, that doesn't mean that the 6 is superior to the 4.

1 Like

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by milestonejnr(m): 12:17am On Dec 24, 2014
CityNg, I think they have such horsepower because of the supporting turbo

1 Like

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 24, 2014
milestonejnr:
CityNg, I think they have such horsepower because of the supporting turbo

You can add turbo to 6 cylinders or any engine for that matter also. So I'm not getting the point that you're trying to make.

I chose those specific examples to show that 6 cylinder engines do not have the monopoly on power like most think.

1 Like

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by disloman(m): 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2014
chiebube:
I read a comment by a fellow nairalander that 6 cylinder engines are stronger and more durable than the '4 cylinder' engines.
here is the post...
''V6 engines are actually better
than 4-cylinders. The only
advantage a 4-cylinder has over
the 6-cylinder is fuel economy.
NOTE: , ONLY advantage.
The v6 engine is stronger, last
longer, faster and gives you a
better driving experience, v6
engine cars are also more
balanced on the ground at top
speed than their 4-cylinder
counter-parts''
https://www.nairaland.com/668924/4-cylinder-engine-vs-6-cylinder-engine
...how true is this?...
Ogga!there is only one advantage V6 has over l4 is d speed.My opinion is I prefer L4 to V6 cars
Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by sultaan(m): 1:45am On Dec 28, 2014
If you have 6 horse to pull your cart, when you use 4 instead of 6 which set of horses will pull better and for a longer distance.

Even when one or 2 of the horses are weak they will still pull better than 4 horses but the down side is if all you are carrying is 10 bags of rice using 6 horse will be more than adequate and you will be feeding and taking car of 2 extra horses you don't necessarily need.

If your lazy farm hand want to have more grains for himself and sleep a lot longer he will tell you to get rid of 2 horses and keep paying him the same salary.

My analogy might seem awkward but for such a question is appropriate

4 Likes

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Ikenna351(m): 10:42pm On Dec 28, 2014
We need to understand what we want to compare, in terms of power.

NA I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs Turbo V6.

If one were to choose between Turbo I-4 and Turbo V6 for power, which one would one honestly go for?

Durability of both? There is something you guys need to understand. I will explain with two brand of cars.

A certain S-class 600 with 12 cylinders stated that engine oil is to be changed once every 2 years. What does that tell us? It's simple, the engine work effortlessly and not overworked like the I-4 counterparts that engine oil were instructed to be changed twice yearly. At higher vehicle speed, the rpm is lower compared to NA I-4 that becomes harsh, even at small 120 km/h.

Let me use another one for example. Peugeot instructed that their EW engines in 406 (NA I-4s) timing belt are to be changed once every 60k km or 4 years, while for their ES engines in 406 (V6) the timing belt is to be replaced every 120k km or every 6 years. Now, when 407 succeeded 406, they increased the V6 timing belt renewal to 180k km or every 9 years, while the I-4s remain the 60k km or every 4 years. What does it mean? These engines use the same quality of belt and brands. Difference is that one is longer than the other.

The point is, the stress on V6 engine is less than that on the I-4 engines, which was why the change interval is higher on V6. But they probably realized that even the 120,000 km change interval for V6 was too short, so they increased it to 180,000 km. Like I said, the same quality and brand of belts for both engines, yet one last longer in one of the engines. Because of what? Stress!

An I-4 can last as long as the owner wants it to, likewise the I-6, V6, V8 or V12. But usage shouldn't be the same. The durability depends on the usability. The higher the rpm all the time, the more stress on the engine. Doing 180km on NA I-4 all the time will stress the engine out, because of engine speed that will maintain that vehicle speed with such engine. But on bigger engines or one with more cylinders, it will attain that vehicle speed at low engine speed, meaning, less stress.

Ikenna

9 Likes

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by uboma(m): 7:37am On Dec 29, 2014
Ikenna351:

NA I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs Turbo V6.

If one were to choose between Turbo I-4 and Turbo V6 for power, which one would one honestly go for?

Durability of both? There is something you guys need to understand. I will explain with two brand of cars.

A certain S-class 600 with 12 cylinders stated that engine oil is to be changed once every 2 years. What does that tell us? It's simple, the engine work effortlessly and not overworked like the I-4 counterparts that engine oil were instructed to be changed twice yearly. At higher vehicle speed, the rpm is lower compared to NA I-4 that becomes harsh, even at small 120 km/h.

Let me use another one for example. Peugeot instructed that their EW engines in 406 (NA I-4s) timing belt are to be changed once every 60k km or 4 years, while for their ES engines in 406 (V6) the timing belt is to be replaced every 120k km or every 6 years. Now, when 407 succeeded 406, they increased the V6 timing belt renewal to 180k km or every 9 years, while the I-4s remain the 60k km or every 4 years. What does it mean? These engines use the same quality of belt and brands. Difference is that one is longer than the other.

The point is, the stress on V6 engine is less than that on the I-4 engines, which was why the change interval is higher on V6. But they probably realized that even the 120,000 km change interval for V6 was too short, so they increased it to 180,000 km. Like I said, the same quality and brand of belts for both engines, yet one last longer in one of the engines. Because of what? Stress!

An I-4 can last as long as the owner wants it to, likewise the I-6, V6, V8 or V12. But usage shouldn't be the same. The durability depends on the usability. The higher the rpm all the time, the more stress on the engine. Doing 180km on NA I-4 all the time will stress the engine out, because of engine speed that will maintain that vehicle speed with such engine. But on bigger engines or one with more cylinders, it will attain that vehicle speed at low engine speed, meaning, less stress.

Ikenna

Very well illustrated and straight to the point.

2 Likes

Re: Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2014
Ikenna351:

NA I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs NA V6.

Turbo I-4 vs Turbo V6.

Ikenna
I love you man.

(1) (Reply)

Mazda Tribute;Pls share your Sincere Experience. / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? / Golf 4 Fuel Consumption( Automatic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.