Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,760 members, 7,955,891 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:00 PM

DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) (1172 Views)

My 03 Accord At 200,000miles (321,868km) / DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / BRAKE FLUID REPLACEMENT may be RECOMMENDED PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE for you! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 6:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
On this model, according to the owners manual, brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years independent of mileage. My replacement is overdue (had the car for 6 years with no replacement shocked. I know better now.

Needed materials:
1. 8" and 10" spanner
2. Jack
3. Support stands
4. Aspirator (I improvised this using a syringe and pipe)
5. One-way valve bleeder (my substitute for the Mityvac vacuum bleeder wink )
6. Brake fluid (This model uses Heavy duty DOT3 not just DOT3)
7. Transparent water bottle

A few of these items are shown below. A closer shot of my cheap one-way valve bleeder is on the second pic (got it for less than 5GBP I think on Amazon)

Re: DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 6:59pm On Dec 23, 2014
First kindly note that on this Accord there is a sequence for bleeding each of the brake lines. The sequence is clockwise starting at the front left wheel:

1. Front left wheel - 2. Front right wheel - 3. Right rear wheel - 4. Left rear wheel

So we start at the front left...
1. Jack up the vehicle and support on stands
2. Open the hood and the brake fluid reservoir
3. Aspirate as much old brake fluid from the reservoir as possible
4. When you remove as much as possible, fill up reservoir with fresh brake fluid.
5. At all times during this procedure ensure the fluid in the reservoir never goes below the minimum level line

The second pic shows the dark colour of the used brake fluid. New brake fluid is clear and transparent.

Re: DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 7:16pm On Dec 23, 2014
Continuing... remove the front left wheel and locate the bleeder valve, remove its cap and attach the bleeding device.

Re: DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 7:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
The setup...Never mind the support stand and the stone, just using it to keep the bottle from falling grin

Re: DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2014
To bleed, slacken the 10" lock nut of the bleeder valve, then depress and release the brake pedal a number of times. Do this until you see fresh brake fluid coming down the bleeding device. You will easily notice this with the change in colour. Again, in all this, never allow the brake fluid to go below the minimum line on the reservoir.
When you begin to observe fresh fluid, you can then tighten the nut. Remember you don't need an assistant to keep the pedal depressed at any point grin.

Tip: During the procedure I discovered it takes about 25 pumps to bring the brake fluid in the reservoir near the minimum line
Re: DIY: Brake Fluid Replacement On 03 Accord LX (one-man Bleeding Method) by Piyke: 7:34pm On Dec 23, 2014
Repeat the procedure for the other wheels following the bleeding sequence...
I show below the setup for the rear wheels, the location of the bleeder valve is different, being that the rear uses drum brakes. Also the bleeder's lock nut is a size 8"
The stub above the brake line is the bleeding valve cover

When all is done take the car for a drive to confirm the brakes functions okay

(1) (Reply)

My Toyota Camry Car Displaying ABS On Its Dashboard / (pics)Car With gallons of Fuel Explodes And Burns Down in kano Injuring Two / List Of FRSC Approved Driving Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.