Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,139 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

We Need To Re-write Our Culture - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We Need To Re-write Our Culture (615 Views)

Jamb Schedules Candidates To Re-write Jamb CBT 2016 Exam / JAMB Has Schedules Some Candidates To Re-write 2016 UTME #pics / The Date Of Uniben Resumption For We To Write Our Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Need To Re-write Our Culture by makhez019(m): 12:13pm On Dec 24, 2014
Was watching foriegn movies, and I noticed so many things. First of all, how weddings are being done. In the West, you don't need to have a fat account to wed a lady, but in nigeria, many people don't see it that way all because of culture. Was opportuned to chat with a bro of mine that told me how is brother planned for his wedding. It was more or less he was preparing for a fiscal budget. Why must we go through all this just because we want to we, all this boils down to the society, everyone wants to please the society. Had a little chat with my mum and liltle bro, told them I might do the traditional wedding to please my parent cos left to me alone I am ready to do it on a low key. But the white wedding will be as low as I can ever imagine, spend almost millions feeding people and wasting money only to end up drinking garri. This is what the society is condoling, situation where people go to the point where people go to do money rituals, occultism, fraud, etc all in the name of doing wedding, mostly occurs in the eastern part of the country.
Secondly, again I want to compare this culture of ours to that of the west in terms of burial ceremony. Had a little chat with a neighbour, he said and I quote, " I spent over 3 million naira to bury my mum " chai, see how much he spent to bury the mum all in the name of culture. In my place where I come from, after burrying the dead just because someone is looking for gains, they end up demanding this and that. You see them drinking, eating, dancing and at the same time crying, what a culture? My problem is that, you end up spending huge amount of money for the dead, what a waste. Why not spend at least some on the person while he or she was alive. Imagine am from the eastern part, chai, it gonna be a big problem, cos the procedures are so expensive and alarming, where you see people that ordinarily won't help if the person where to be alive spending millions to bury the dead. Why not bury the dead on a low key and pray they make heaven and put the money into good use?
In conclusion, its time we looked beyond all this traditional stuff cos someone is gaining somewhere, feeding on our ignorance. And we don't need to have #1billion on your account to wed. Am just airing my views and I feel in my own sense of reasoning that things need to chang and its we the youth that can make the change. Thanks for reading, open to criticism or your opinionz.
Re: We Need To Re-write Our Culture by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
Thanks op, you ve made some valid points but one of the peculiarities of culture is that it is difficult to change..
You can just decide to be different but people will still dance to the tune of the society. Wasting resources all in d name of ceremonies, some even incur debts.
Re: We Need To Re-write Our Culture by makhez019(m): 12:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
Thanks bro, we nid to effect a change!
RockyTeee:
Thanks op, you ve made some valid points but one of the peculiarities of culture is that it is difficult to change..
You can just decide to be different but people will still dance to the tune of the society. Wasting resources all in d name of ceremonies, some even incur debts.

(1) (Reply)

Have A Chat With OAU Vice Chancellor(prof. Omole) / Unilorin 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Opinion: University Degree Is Not A License To Success Anywhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.