Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? (3490 Views)

How Much Is The PS3 Presently Sold?? / Used Old Ps3s (20, 60, And 80) Are Increasing In Value Compared To The Ps3 Slim. / Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by vowiski(m): 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2008
When we create a new generation of video games, we also create a new generation of technology, security, and sadly , hackers. Finding holes in new hardware and exploiting them to do anything from copying free games to changing the technology itself, these hackers have many ways of doing things and leave many industries looking for solutions to stop it. With the PSP being hacked just days after each update, we are left to wonder why the PS3 hasn't been hacked yet and what has Sony done to stop the madness. Well, we created a feature to help explain how things are done and exactly why the PS3 is safe from these attacks.

If you have ever hacked, or watched someone hack a PSP, then you'd know how things work. You mess with the file system and trick it into reformatting itself to fit your needs. All the DRM and privilege rights are overwritten and nothing is stopping you from doing things you're not supposed to. This can be done on almost any technological piece of hardware. You can insert a UMD and copy it to a memory stick, you can take the iPhone and change the version to bypass AT&T security, or you take your PC game and upload it to a torrent site for someone else to play. Since these hacks seem to be common practice nowadays, Sony has obviously studied these exploits and went to great lengths to prevent it from happening on the PS3.

The minute your PS3 boots up, it runs through 4 stages of security at all times. All 4 stages have secrets that will need to be decoded in order to reach the next stage. So think of hacking the PS3 to be similar to a treasure hunt. You discover the clues and figure out a way to piece them all together to find the treasure. Except in this hunt for the booty, if you mess up one tiny thing, the whole mission collapses and your PS3 could possibly explode into vast reaches of outer space.

For starters, the PS3 is not easily fooled like its sibling PSP. Sony has encrypted each hard drive to only work with a specific PS3, which eliminates the possibility of switching them out like memory sticks. The hard drive is then read by the PS3 where it makes sure the drive is registered to the specific console. After verifying the hard drive, the PS3 continues to search for needed files to boot up the OS. This is merely the logo that appears or random files hidden in the system that will trigger the “OK” to boot up. The hard drive is built in layers with the “bootflag.dat” being the first file read on each start up, which then leads into the DRM file and finally , the game files. Several files found in between each of these makes things even more complicated to bypass. We must also note that messing with any of these files will cause the PS3 to read them as missing and not boot up correctly.

If you finally get past the hard drive, you must then face the problems hidden within the actual system itself. We all know the PS3 is a beast with a hearty 7 cells running under the hood as we brag about this on a daily basis. The problem for hackers is how only 6 of these cells are actually accessible, with the 7th cell access being denied to everyone. Not even game developers have access to this 7th cell. Now why is this cell even there if we can't use it? In a simple sentence, the 7th cell runs the PS3 completely on its own. The cell boots the system up, cracks the codes encrypted in all security branches, and finally keeps the OS running while you play a game or do whatever you normally do. Remember how I talked about the PS3 verifying the HDD in relation to the system? This is where that comes into place. The 7th cell is what verifies everything that needs to be unlocked or encrypted. The 7th cell basically double checks that everything in the PS3 actually belongs to the PS3, so users cannot trade hard drives or share illegal games without the cell noticing and denying access. With the exception of communicating with other cells, this cell cannot be written to or acknowledged by an outside source, making it completely secure from attacks.
Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by dakmanzero(m): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2008
This is a cut-and paste article, but it still deserves a response smiley

The PS3 is not quite as bulletproof as the article suggests. If someone figures out a way to hijack the playstation OS the way it was done on the PSP, then all bets are off and it's only a matter of time before the system is cracked wide open. All the boot security in the world will not save you from a runtime buffer overflow vulnerability, even with hardware protection. I feel the reasons the ps3 has not been hacked are:

(a) The PS3 homebrew scene- ie the smart kids that actually do the cracking before the pirate vultures swoop in to reap the benefits- is too busy with ps3 linux to bother. People can do great things with ps3 linux despite its limited processing power and restricted hardware access, for example there are super NES emulators and DIVX decoders, blu-ray backup utilities, etc that work on the ps3 through linux.

Other avenues for homebrew include ps3 FLASH support, and blu-ray JAVA support, which has already been used to write an emulator for the playstation OS outside of linux.

(b) The 360 is just as locked down as the ps3, yet hackers learned how to crack th drive's firmware. Blu-ray drives are't susceptible to the same problem, and inexpensive mass duplication of bluray discs is not yet widespread. Also the size of bluray games means creating a huge library of games to run from the hard drive is not as feasible as it could be in 5 years' time.
Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by iykedee: 10:37am On Dec 12, 2008
Wow, I like this topic, the ps3 is gonna be extremely difficult to hack cos it's architecture is just so frigging complex.
Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by texazzpete(m): 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2008
I can confirm what DMZ said above.
The homebrew community is far to busy trying to enable the GPU for use in Linux. That is the promised land for most of them.
Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by anakin86: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2011
The ps3 has finally been hacked ,  I am playing games on my ps3 without the Blu-ray disc thanks to www.ps3breakng.com
these guys are great.
Re: Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? by beeyee18: 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2011
Store Games On your Ps3 Harddisk Or Buy An Already Hacked Ps3
« on: Today at 07:54:56 PM »
Modify message

dude if u wanna hack your ps3(store games in the harddisk and play them witout the cd holla at me asap)15k per ps3 plus al give u 3games inside your harddisk plus i have an already hack ps3 fat 80gig wit 2 games inside it n 1 pad(45k) call me 08080187158 email beeyee18@gmail.com

U will pick any 3 games frm the list below and al put it in your harddisk buying or hacking

army of two)
Metal Gear Solid 4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Mortal Kombat vs DC

Super Street Fighter 4
PGA Tour 2010
Afro Samurai
Bourne Conspiracy
God Of War 3
Need for speed-pro streets
hell boy(final fantasy 13)

dark void
uncharted 2
smackdown vs raw 2010
The incredible hulk
boarderland
fifa 10

also if u wanna trade holla at me , any of the games listed above,

i also got a brand new xbox 360 S(slim) 250gig with 2 pads and headset,its brand new in the box very clean,

(1) (Reply)

Do We Have PC FIFA22 Online Players In Nigeria? / Good News: Naija Game《gidi Run》with 150MB Free Data Of MTN Game+ / Download First Touch Soccer 2024 – FTS 24 APK + OBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.