Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,225 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. (91806 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / Help! Does Nigerian Population Comm Have An Online Database 4 Registered Births / Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by osisi4: 1:30am On Dec 11, 2008
The USA has the world's third largest Nigerian community, only behind Nigeria itself and the United Kingdom, where up to 3 million Nigerians reside. Like other successful immigrant populations in the United States, Nigerian Americans reside in virtually all 50 states. Sizeable communities are concentrated in the following areas (in order of size):

1. Maryland: Prince Georges, Baltimore (Not Including Baltimore City, the 4th largest Nigerian American community), Howard and Montgomery counties.

2. New York: All boroughs of New York City, the largest Nigerian American community, plus Nassau and Westchester counties.

3. Texas: Harris (esp. the city of Houston), Fort Bend, Tarrant, Dallas, and Travis counties.

4. Georgia: Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, Gwinnett counties, with Atlanta is the 5th largest Nigerian-American community.

5. New Jersey: Hudson, Essex, Bergen, Union and Middlesex counties, with a large porportion of Nigerians live in Newark.

6. Illinois: Cook County (esp. the city of Chicago).

7. California: Los Angeles (city and county),Fresno, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Sacramento and Solano counties; and the San Francisco Bay Area: Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

8. Ohio: Hamilton and Montgomery counties, with Columbus being the 3rd largest Nigerian-American community.

9. Rhode Island: Providence County (with significant numbers of Nigerian Americans in Providence) and Pawtucket.

10. Virginia: Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun Counties, but not including Washington DC, it has the 2nd largest Nigerian American community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_American

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by osisi4: 1:33am On Dec 11, 2008
This is news to me.I thought there were more Nigerians in the Houston area than NY area

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by chika98: 2:03am On Dec 11, 2008
Yeah I woulda thought so too.
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Magnate021(m): 4:34am On Dec 11, 2008
the stats. might be accurate or not, but due to the climate in houston lots of africans resides there ,especially nija even in south west houston na home away from home.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by SeanT21(f): 4:37am On Dec 11, 2008
Many Immigrants from Africa usually live in the tri state:Maryland,Virginia and DC!!

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by AngieFan(f): 3:15pm On Dec 11, 2008
I think that there are more Nigerians in the US than they are in the UK. We have just over 1million black people in the UK if the census is to be believed.
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Hesperus(m): 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2008
AngieFan:

I think that there are more Nigerians in the US than they are in the UK. We have just over 1million black people in the UK if the census is to be believed.
Nah!!! Do you know how many illegal blacks are here? The census prolly only accounted for the legit ones.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by SeanT21(f): 6:41pm On Dec 11, 2008
AngieFan:

I think that there are more Nigerians in the US than they are in the UK. We have just[b] over 1million black people in the UK if the census is to be believed.[/b]

That can not be true!!

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Hauwa1: 7:35pm On Dec 11, 2008
nigerians in prince george? that place is for the very rich grin

i heard there are many nigerians living in Potomac and Bowie.

i would prefer to live in a place with a few or non nigerian family grin

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by blackspade(m): 9:20pm On Dec 11, 2008
California has an extremely fast growing Nigerian community, primarily in Southern California and the S.F. Bay Area, with 25,000 alone in L.A.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by SeanT21(f): 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2008
*Hauwa*:

Prince George have a ghetto side to it!!!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by osisi4: 3:27am On Dec 12, 2008
*Hauwa*:

who told you.
PG county is a poorer county with higher crime and bad schools and yes,that's where most Nigerians live
There are Ok areas too.Bowie is in Prince Georges county.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Ndipe(m): 5:08am On Dec 12, 2008

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by SeanT21(f): 6:11am On Dec 12, 2008
osisi*:

who told you.
PG county is a poorer county with higher crime and bad schools and yes,that's where most Nigerians live
There are Ok areas too.Bowie is in Prince Georges county.

Prince George is the wealthiest county in the nation with an african american majority.Its not a bad place eventhough it do have a ghetto side.It depends on where you live.Its not bad at all!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Ndipe(m): 8:36am On Dec 12, 2008
My aunt who lived in Silver Spring until her demise recently was totally against moving to PG county, amidst the affordable real estate in the area. While PG county was mentioned in a positive light in Ebony magazine a while back, that same month or thereabout, the county received negative publicity from Essence magazine with regards to domestic violence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Hauwa1: 3:22pm On Dec 12, 2008
Ndipe, i actually read that copy. i was shocked. . . because those involved in the domestic violence in PG are rich (Ebony mag). who knows they are nigerians  grin you know most don't have anger management and they are aggressive when it's money issue  grin

Osisi, true  PG was among the top 10 Forbes listed sometime recently. Many wealthy blacks buy homes there.
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Ndipe(m): 10:39pm On Dec 12, 2008
*Hauwa*:

Ndipe, i actually read that copy. i was shocked. . . because those involved in the domestic violence in PG are rich (Ebony mag). who knows they are nigerians grin you know most don't have anger management and they are aggressive when it's money issue  grin

Osisi, true  PG was among the top 10 Forbes listed sometime recently. Many wealthy blacks buy homes there.

Domestic violence transcends all social classes and race. Infact, there was this article in a magazine that details the horrifying abuse that high profile women go through in the hands of their husband. And unfortunately, they are embarrased to file charges because of the attendant publicity that might ensue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by omoh25: 8:23pm On Aug 26, 2010
Am a Nigerian staying in New-York.areas with most Nigerian population are;(including other African countries)
1.       Bronx
2.       white-plains
3.       Brooklyn
4.        New-york
5.         (Atlanta and Georgia
6.          Texas and Houston

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Chumaco(m): 9:46am On Feb 04, 2016
EASYWAY CHUMACO LOGISTICS
 CHINA  TO  AFRICAN

CAROLINE :0086-18561893286.(WECHAT,WHATSAPP,IMO)
 CHUMACO: 0086-13168300844.0086-18588631673. WECHAT,WHATSAPP,IMO)
NORMAL CARGO : $4.5/KG, CLEARING:350NGN
 NORMAL CARGO:$ 5 /KG, CLEARING:350NGN  ( WITH BATTERY)
 EXPRESS : $8 /KG ,   CLEARING :480NGN
 EXPRESS : $9 /KG ,   CLEARING :480NGN (WITH BARTTERY)

we are your loyal agent and link for you. If you want to do very good business with Chinese, 
we will be the biggest logistics company for china and African. ALL FOR YOU.,MY CUSTOMER.
Easyway chumaco logistics. CHUMACO :008613168300844
Address in china: Shop 1088 1F,xinghua Building Zhanqian Road, Guangzhou
广州市,站前路二街1号,兴华国际饰品城,1楼,1088号.

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by typearls(f): 7:08pm On Jul 13, 2016
Maryland has the highest Nigerian population in USA

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by Ndipe(m): 2:17am On Sep 15, 2016
Per Square Foot, I think Maryland has more Nigerians than any other state in the US

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by DjSwaga(m): 10:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
I think MD is correct too. Then DC and NY

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by DjSwaga(m): 10:35pm On Nov 09, 2016
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by icetritium31: 2:50am On May 19, 2017
I am posting this for all those that have commented above, For all the Nigerians in the US. Please read.

Efiwe.org : Equiping African Tertiary Libraries

The need for access to relevant resources like books, equipment, journals etc. are fundamental to educational institutions and their success. Any current or past student in Public African tertiary institution will immediately see the utter lack of resources and the student’s struggle to seek knowledge amidst this lack of resources. Efiwe is a Non-profit organization based in the US that hopes to collect relevant post-secondary textbooks and send them to tertiary Institution Libraries in Africa. This is to help give students access to resources needed and increase the quality of education received in these institutions.

Efiwe is a Non-profit organization that is inititated in March 2017 to give African tertiary Institution students access to the relevant materials needed for success in their tertiary education. With a mission to send over One million (1,000,000) books to African tertiary Institution libraries by 2030, The goals are fixed. In the words of the founder, Philip Alabi – “My ultimate desire will be to see these books in the hands of a student (back home) enjoying the read and learning new things from the texts, illustrations and pictures displayed. The lasting social and economic change that comes from more Africans knowing better is what I seek to achieve.”

Efiwe was conceived after a similar book drive ran by the founder (Philip Alabi) saw the delivery of about 800 books from the US to Tai Solarin University of Education (his alma mater). He has ever since been motivated to attempt similar feat but with more scale and reach. Efiwe aims to have student organizations all over the US conduct book drives and send these books to different tertiary institutions in Africa.
Current needs of the project are listed below:
· recruiting more volunteers in the US for book collection and

· recruiting volunteers as writers (location doesn’t matter)

· recruiting volunteers in Africa for logistics and reaching out to institutions

· forging partnerships with Tertiary institutions

· forging partnerships with corporations and organizations for delivery of the goals of Efiwe and value exchange.

See efiwe.org to read more

Please feel free to reach us +13123990694 | whatsapp: +16182160266 | +2347039818617
info@efiwe.org, www.efiwe.org, @efiwengo(twitter) https://www.facebook.com/efiweNGO/
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by AlphaTaikun: 10:08am On Aug 29, 2022
osisi4:
The USA has the world's third largest Nigerian community, only behind Nigeria itself and the United Kingdom, where up to 3 million Nigerians reside. Like other successful immigrant populations in the United States, Nigerian Americans reside in virtually all 50 states. Sizeable communities are concentrated in the following areas (in order of size):

1. Maryland: Prince Georges, Baltimore (Not Including Baltimore City, the 4th largest Nigerian American community), Howard and Montgomery counties.

2. New York: All boroughs of New York City, the largest Nigerian American community, plus Nassau and Westchester counties.

3. Texas: Harris (esp. the city of Houston), Fort Bend, Tarrant, Dallas, and Travis counties.

4. Georgia: Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, Gwinnett counties, with Atlanta is the 5th largest Nigerian-American community.

5. New Jersey: Hudson, Essex, Bergen, Union and Middlesex counties, with a large porportion of Nigerians live in Newark.

6. Illinois: Cook County (esp. the city of Chicago).

7. California: Los Angeles (city and county),Fresno, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Sacramento and Solano counties; and the San Francisco Bay Area: Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

8. Ohio: Hamilton and Montgomery counties, with Columbus being the 3rd largest Nigerian-American community.

9. Rhode Island: Providence County (with significant numbers of Nigerian Americans in Providence) and Pawtucket.

10. Virginia: Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun Counties, but not including Washington DC, it has the 2nd largest Nigerian American community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_American

Bump.
Re: Top 10 Areas In The Usa With The Most Nigerian Population. by AlphaTaikun: 10:11am On Aug 29, 2022

(1) (Reply)

I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... / Corporate Lagos Conductor: The Best Dressed Danfo Conductor You've Ever Seen? / The Untapped Islands in Akwa Ibom State....photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.