Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Should I Take The Land Or Not. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should I Take The Land Or Not. (701 Views)

Do You Want To Buy a House In Magodo,Maryland,Ketu,Ogudu,Island / Real Estate Topic Library (Must Read Before You Buy Any Land Or Property) / A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Take The Land Or Not. by trendphemmy(m): 10:04pm On Dec 26, 2014
good evening my able friends, am dr femi. I want to establish a farm and I was planning to buy. but my dad said d extended family has hectares of land dat I should take the 50 I want from it dat I can use it and dey wont ask me since am part of d family. the family said dey aren't selling any land but anybody from d family can use it. Should I go ahead? what are d necessary things to be done.

pls comment, am confused
Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 26, 2014
My advise is that you don't take the land. My reason is that I believe the land in question is an undeveloped one and as soon as you improve on the value of the land by siting your farmland on it, it will start generating controversy from other members of the family being that you didn't pay a penny on the land. So therefore any of the other family members can seek for ways to create dispute and they might come up with the idea that it should be split amongst you all knowing too well you stand a chance to loose some portion of what you have invested on the land while they gain.

Secondly, you accepting the land has denied you the chances of you getting your own personal landed property for your farmland and by so doing, increasing the net worth of the business which banks use as criteria to grant loan in the long run.

Please desist from such idea. Many people have fallen victim to this particular situation. Your dad is only telling you so cause he speaks from his brotherly mind as one big family without seeing the looming consequence of it in the long run.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by shortgun(m): 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2014
I will advise you take d land, it's your inheritance, it's your right.
It's very stupid to pay for what you can get for free.
Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by dablazor: 11:14pm On Dec 26, 2014
oscarforreal:
My advise is that you don't take the land. My reason is that I believe the land in question is an undeveloped one and as soon as you improve on the value of the land by siting your farmland on it, it will start generating controversy from other members of the family being that you didn't pay a penny on the land. So therefore any of the other family members can seek for ways to create dispute and they might come up with the idea that it should be split amongst you all knowing too well you stand a chance to loose some portion of what you have invested on the land while they gain.

Secondly, you accepting the land has denied you the chances of you getting your own personal landed property for your farmland and by so doing, increasing the net worth of the business which banks use as criteria to grant loan in the long run.

Please desist from such idea. Many people have fallen victim to this particular situation. Your dad is only telling you so cause he speaks from his brotherly mind as one big family without seeing the looming consequence of it in the long run.
Thanks.

this is exactly what i would say to you @OP

1 Like

Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by mfm04622: 7:30am On Dec 27, 2014
What do you want to farm on the land? Perennial crops or just crops that you harvest every year? If it is yearly crops, you have no problem. Just go ahead and make use of it. but if it is Perennial crops, better go get your own land.
Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by trendphemmy(m): 8:45am On Dec 27, 2014
thanks so much my good friends. was planning to do plantain plantation. I will get my own land. Thanks
Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by MrMcJay(m): 10:29am On Dec 27, 2014
Pls, dont take the land. If you do, once you have planted on the land and close to harvest then a dispute breaks out? You can't harvest and your crops are rotting on the farm.

Legally, I would advise 2 options

1. Get a lawyer to prepare a Deed of Lease between the family and you. Let it be signed by the Traditional head of that community, your family head and the principal members of the family. That way, it saves you long stories later.

2. Better still, move to another place and buy. If you can't buy as large as the on you were offered by your dad, get a Lawyer to prepare a MOU between you and d sellers stating that you would buy the land in batches at a pre-determined time and at an agreed price.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by twinskenny(m): 11:38am On Dec 27, 2014
MrMcJay:
Pls, dont take the land. If you do, once you have planted on the land and close to harvest then a dispute breaks out? You can't harvest and your crops are rotting on the farm.

1. Get a lawyer to prepare a Deed of Lease between the family and you. Let it be signed by the Traditional head of that community, your family head and the principal members of the family. That way, it saves you long stories later.

2. Better still, move to another place and buy. If you can't buy as large as the on you were offered by your dad, get a Lawyer to prepare a MOU between you and d sellers stating that you would buy the land in batches at a pre-determined time and at an agreed price.

Cheers.
good advice
Re: Should I Take The Land Or Not. by trendphemmy(m): 12:29pm On Dec 27, 2014
MrMcJay:

Cheers.
God bless you immensely

(1) (Reply)

3 Bedroom Duplexs + 1 Room BQ For Sale In Lekki phase1. #70m. Call 07037846174. / 3bedroom On A Plot At Gbagada For Sale / ISUI_IKORODU 79, Agbara-lusada,ifo Pahase 1&2, Ashagun Ibeji-lekki Phase1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.