Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,544 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor (1641 Views)

What To Feed A Boerboel Pup / Cheapest Way To Feed Raw Meats To Your Dogs. / In Need Of A Rottweiller Or Boa Bull (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by Cyberbuster: 8:02am On Dec 27, 2014
Some of us need to know some basic things about feeding and keeping a boa constrictors. Some of which are:-

Boa constrictors are nonpoisonous snakes endemic to Central and South America. They are very large, with males measuring 6 to 8 feet and females measuring 8 to 10 feed. In the wild their diet consists of amphibians, birds, lizards, small mammals and other snakes. There are several factors to take into consideration when feeding boa constrictors in captivity.

*.The size of your boa will determine type and size of prey it can consume. Young boas should eat baby or small young rats, or rabbits, while full-grown boas can consume large rats, small chickens and small rabbits which are frozen specifically for the purpose of feeding wildlife in captivity. Make sure the size of the prey is no larger than the widest point of the boa's midsection.

*.Never feed your boa live food as it may cause your snake to become aggressive. Also the prey may escape or injury your boa. Never feed your snake wild animals. Wild animals may carry parasites or bacteria. Only feed your snake prey that were raised in sterile environments and fed organic diets that guarantee your pet will not get contaminated with parasites or bacteria.

*.Prey animals are frozen when you receive them. Make sure the prey is thawed out and slightly warm (can use boiling water). Dangle the prey in front of the snake with tongs. Make sure you wash your hands after feeding your boa. To keep your boa from accidentally consuming substrate from its habitat, it is recommended that you move your boa into a different container when feeding.

*.Young boas can be fed pinkies (baby mice) once a week. Large boas (6 months old and older) can graduate to pre-killed adult mice, rats, chicks and eventually rabbits (1-2 times a month.) Remember don't feed prey that is larger than the widest part of the snake.

*.The size of the prey is obviously important, but the frequency of feeding is equally important. You have to give your boa enough time to properly digest each meal before trying to feed it again. Wait until 2-3 days after the snake defecate before offering another meal. This works out to a feeding schedule to every 7 to 12 days. Proper feeding your boa constrictor is very important. Only feed prey that is from a company who sells prey animals for reptiles in captivity. Remember, make sure not to feed prey that is too large for your snake as it may choke.

Source:- http://mypetwatch..in/2014/12/how-much-to-feed-boa-constrictor.html
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by benuejosh: 8:13am On Dec 27, 2014
there's just no way am going to keep a snake as a pet or for what ever reason talk more of feeding it.. permit me, am so "snakephobia"
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 9:38am On Dec 27, 2014
I swear op
U don't have one as a pet undecided
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by aAK1(m): 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
I sold a ball python on this forum some time ago.

1 Like

Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 30, 2014
madness
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by oluomoadebayo: 8:38am On Dec 30, 2014
reaky:
I swear op
U don't have one as a pet undecided

How are you so sure?
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 9:06am On Dec 30, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

How are you so sure?

If only he prove me wrong with pishurs
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 9:09am On Dec 30, 2014
aAK1:

You sold what?
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by oluomoadebayo: 9:14am On Dec 30, 2014
reaky:

If only he prove me wrong with pishurs

And what will you give him, $1m?
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by oluomoadebayo: 9:15am On Dec 30, 2014
aAK1:

Yes I remember asking you what will I feed if I buy. I wasn't prepared the and sooner or later I'm gonna get one.
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 9:15am On Dec 30, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

And what will you give him, $1m?

For me to believe in his post
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by oluomoadebayo: 9:16am On Dec 30, 2014
reaky:

For me to believe in his post

You choose what you belief and not his problem I think .
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 9:52am On Dec 30, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

You choose what you belief and not his problem I think .

I wan c am joor
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by oluomoadebayo: 9:55am On Dec 30, 2014
reaky:

I wan c am joor

You can ask him personally to send you pictures.
Re: How Much To Feed A Boa Constrictor by reaky(m): 10:22am On Dec 30, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

You can ask him personally to send you pictures.

Y u cary this mata now

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Gsds Here! / Meet My Pet Calf / Pedigree Cheap Rot For Sale With Pictures And Pedigree Document

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.