Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,526 members, 7,823,285 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years (739 Views)

Keke NAPEP Driving On Pedestrain Bridge In Lagos / Photo: Nigerian Man Has The Strongest Teeth In Africa. / Homeless Man Has Been Living In A Grave For The Last 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by etunoman76(m): 12:40pm On Dec 27, 2014
An Indian taxi driver, Harpreet Dev, is defying odds in his hometown of Bhatinda, Punjab with his amazing driving skills. The 30-year-old has been driving his cab in reverse mode for the past 11 years. He is so used to the act now that he cannot get himself to drive forward anymore! Harpreet even has a special government license that allows him to drive backwards in any state in the Northern part of India.

The 30-year-old’s passion for reverse driving started in 2003, when his faithful Fiat Padmini got stuck in reverse gear late one night.

“I was outside the city, I had no money, so I thought of driving the car backwards until I reached Bhatinda,” he said. “Then I drove backwards a few times and started to gain confidence.”

That’s when he realised that he was really on to something, so the next morning he painted the words ‘Back Gear Champion’ on the side of the car and redesigned its gearbox to have four reverse gears and only one forward.

After years of practice, Harpreet, according to Reddit, can now comfortably drive backwards at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour. An ambulance siren attached to the top of the car warns unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians about his peculiar driving.

“I take all the care I can to protect the other drivers on the road,” he declared proudly. “I always wanted to do something different, something unique,” he added. “In simpler terms I reversed the complete gear mechanism of the car so that I get maximum speeds while driving backwards.”

In 2005, Dev drove backwards all the way from Rajasthan, India, to Lahore, in Pakistan, to promote peace between the two countries.

Harpreet’s bizarre driving habit won him fame in his home town, but has had some negative effects as well – he now suffers from severe back and neck problems. “I do have pains in the neck – frequent pains in the neck – and I have had severe vomiting in the past,” he admitted. “I have got a severe backbone problem from driving so fast in reverse, because my whole body gets contorted.”

But Harpreet believes that it has all been worth the while. “Achieving something special is never easy,” he explained. “It is not giving in that counts. I will never stop doing this. It is a part of me now.”

http://www.punchng.com/feature/weird-planet/man-has-been-driving-backwards-for-11-years/

Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Humblesam(m): 12:44pm On Dec 27, 2014
American wonder don fade, now name Indian wonder. grin
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Princecalm(m): 12:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
I have never tried backwards but i have been driving sideways for 11*11 years
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by freshness2020: 12:52pm On Dec 27, 2014
Eyes rolling around in confusion!

1 Like

Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Ambrogio(m): 12:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Tocheagle(m): 12:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
If the guy try am for lagos. Police go chop belleful, while LASTMA go show am the way to go. By the time d guy don spend one month for lasgidi e go drive normal. losiwaju Werey
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by alberto2k(m): 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
D3 > Dare Devil Drivers..
I had my own dare devil experience with bikes(bicycle)..
Riding on one tyre on a High way

But

That was like 6years ago

Now I'm going Dare devil with Rollerskate, Aggressive skate!
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Rapmaestro(m): 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
Try it here in 9ja and see if you will live long
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Rapmaestro(m): 12:57pm On Dec 27, 2014
Princecalm:
I have never tried backwards but i have been driving sideways for 11*11 years
Brother LIEnus
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Mprex(f): 1:02pm On Dec 27, 2014
shocked
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by omokoladele(m): 1:29pm On Dec 27, 2014
Come try am for PH make Tima-riv catch u grin
Re: Man Has Been Driving Backwards For 11 Years by Princecalm(m): 10:51am On Dec 28, 2014
That's the fact
Rapmaestro:
Brother LIEnus

(1) (Reply)

Unibuja Parliament Suspends Sug President; See Photos Of His Reaction / Meet The World Richest Pastors / Once A Pastor Sets Eyes On Me, He Must Have Sex With Me – Prostitute Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.