Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,047 members, 7,828,687 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense (3560 Views)

Wait … Is That A Rule? Ten Everyday Grammar Mistakes You Might Be Making - Penny / 10 Misused English Words That Make Smart People Look Silly / There Is No Sense In Establishing More Varsities – Obafunwa, Lasu V.c (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Chimaritoponcho: 9:52am On Dec 28, 2014
so its Sunday morning and instead of going to Church, mosque, shrine or wherever u worship, u sat down and decided to reanalyse wat has already been analyzed? ok continuuuuuu

anyhow wey u c am,GET till 2019 sha
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 28, 2014
lightking99:

5.“I’ve got a bone to pick with you”
The phrase refers to needing to settle an
argument with somebody, but what does
picking at a bone have to do with it? It
would make sense if we were talking about
a group of vultures who wanted to spend
some quality time with one another over a
nice bone, but it doesn’t really work in the
human context.
LOOL
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by alexis007(m): 2:59pm On Dec 28, 2014
op be like "i must correct even William Shakespeare"
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by trendy01(f): 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2014
Hehehehehehehe make I jst comment my reserve cheesy
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by simdam500(m): 8:01pm On Dec 28, 2014
fat like fatima....

without no precise fatima
when did all fatima became a fat person lol

just kidding like wizkid oh before u all start quoting...
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by GODWINGODSON(m): 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
StealthyMe:
Number 7 got me confused when i was younger...i just didn't understand the rationale for the quote undecided
Me too I remember asking my dad "what if you buy another one?"
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by 9jaforlife: 10:09pm On Dec 28, 2014
anitank:
Even the supposed correct saying "I couldn't care less" is also arguable to a certain extent. [/b]It could actually mean that you already care a great deal and couldn't care any lesser, even if you wanted to.[b] It's like saying I want to care less about something or someone, but I couldn't.

Best to say "I don't care", if you really have to use that phrase

Have a second look at it, I couldn't care less means even if I want to show less care, it's impossible because I'm already at the lowest level of care, like zero level that can't be surpassed.

The emboldened part can't be true because it's the exact opposite, if you've cared a great deal, that means you CAN ACTUALLY care less. In this case it would rather be 'I couldn't care more'

Cheers!
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by ShakurM(m): 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2014
tjones007:
Have you really heard about idioms?
u get brain jare. O kare
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Zico0(m): 10:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
Your number 9 is wrong. It's not "i could care less", it's "i couldn't care less". Meaning i couldn't be lesser not concerned than i'm less concerned about whatever is happening; as ground level.
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Zico0(m): 10:47pm On Dec 28, 2014
Your number 9 is wrong. It's not "i could care less", it's "i couldn't care less". Meaning i couldn't be lesser not concerned than i'm less concerned about whatever is happening; as ground level.
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
Zico0:

read the number 9 again
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by tjones007: 11:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
ShakurM:
u get brain jare. O kare
Thanks smiley
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by Zico0(m): 12:32am On Dec 29, 2014
lightking99:

read the number 9 again
right, the ignorance. I just read the first clauses.
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by omoelu1(m): 5:53am On Dec 29, 2014
the latest version of number 7 is:
"you can't have your cake and eat it"
I still do not understand the logic behind it. can somebody help out?
Re: Ten Everyday Saying That Make No Sense by StealthyMe(m): 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2014
GODWINGODSON:

Me too I remember asking my dad "what if you buy another one?"

lol cheesy it really got me confused!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Education: A Right Or Privilege / Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU / Admission In Malaysian School Without Using Nigerian Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.