Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,903 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Between Family And Job - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between Family And Job (1874 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / DEBATE: Mother And Father Who Is More Important In The Family And Why ? / Conflict Between Family And Career. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Family And Job by ahmanim: 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
A friend(wife) relocated to another state after securing a better job. Husband is insisting that she should quit the job and go back to him. They had an agreement for d husband to join the wife when he also get a job. Two years on, no job for the husband in the new state though working in a private firm . what do you advice the wife to do?
Re: Between Family And Job by delishpot: 8:42pm On Dec 28, 2014
Ehmm, does the wife contribute a lot to running the household with the income from her new job? Do they have kids? Who are kids staying with? The answers to these will determine my verdict.
Re: Between Family And Job by ahmanim: 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
They have 2 kids and she is nt contributing per se. Maybe augmenting d bills at times
Re: Between Family And Job by delishpot: 2:28am On Dec 29, 2014
Ok. Then she should return home If kids are with dad, she doesnt really cater for family financialy, she is missing out on being a mom and a wife, then what is the use of that separation? If she was the sole bread winner, or contributes at least 50% of the family budget, I will understand why she may need to remain on the job but since that is not the case, she should return and look for a job where her hubby is.
She has to know that having a family involves a lot of sacrifices. For everything she wins, there is something lost. She ahould pick wisely and pick what is best for her and her family.
Its hard sha, but she should try.

If she is with the kids and only hubby is in the other town then he should consider her happiness too. As long as the kids are well cared for, dad can make time to visit lets say every weekend until he finnaly finds a job there. He should not drag her away from her career for his ego sake.
With good planning, they can work things out.
Re: Between Family And Job by Ewuro4: 3:33am On Dec 29, 2014
What do you mean Per se ? On normal circumstance; She should be footing most of the bill till hubby secures a better paying job in the new state or either way. Simple.

Well ofcourse . except she wants her pound of flesh to get back at him for her past mistreatment.

Husbands treat your wives well wink
Re: Between Family And Job by tpia2005: 5:06am On Dec 29, 2014
ahmanim:
A friend(wife) relocated to another state after securing a better job. Husband is insisting that she should quit the job and go back to him. They had an agreement for d husband to join the wife when he also get a job. Two years on, no job for the husband in the new state though working in a private firm . what do you advice the wife to do?

Does it concern me?
Re: Between Family And Job by duperola(f): 6:48am On Dec 29, 2014
i don't see any reason y a married woman shd take out of state job xcpt d hubby has no job himself.she shd relocate bk&get in2 biz wt d little they can manage pendin a gud job
Re: Between Family And Job by sexybash(f): 6:53am On Dec 29, 2014
Do you people know what the woman suffered while she was jobless in the hands of the man, sometimes having a job is not all about the money but self esteem comes into play
A woman that has a job or running a business is likely to be more exposed and have common sense than a wife that sit at home and sit and watch Africa majic grin sad
Re: Between Family And Job by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 29, 2014
Ewuro4:
What do you mean Per se ? On normal circumstance; She should be footing most of the bill till hubby secures a better paying job in the new state or either way. Simple.

Well ofcourse . except she wants her pound of flesh to get back at him for her past mistreatment.

Husbands treat your wives well wink

If I talk now, they will call me NL submissive wife of the year cool
I dont understand some marriages, so I better just keep quiet and face front as JK says.

so lemme just agree with your whole post jeje wink
The man must be a terrible husband otherwise his wife would be paying a lot more bills bearing in mind she is earning more than her struggling husband.

1 Like

Re: Between Family And Job by Ewuro4: 9:26am On Dec 29, 2014
chaircover:

If I talk now, they will call me NL submissive wife of the year cool
I dont understand some marriages, so I better just keep quiet and face front as JK says.

so lemme just agree with your whole post jeje wink
The man must be a terrible husband otherwise his wife would be paying a lot more bills bearing in mind she is earning more than her struggling husband.

So you aren't anymore?? grin

Abeg dash me the trophy if you wan de clutter your mantle, I'll gladly take it dancing 'Doo wop' !
Re: Between Family And Job by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 29, 2014
Ewuro4:

So you aren't anymore?? grin

Abeg dash me the trophy if you wan de clutter your mantle, I'll gladly take it dancing 'Doo wop' !

Oya gba grin grin grin
I am a feminist now
Mr CC go hear am cheesy
Re: Between Family And Job by mutter(f): 9:31am On Dec 29, 2014
The woman should return to her home.
Seperation leads to alott of evil.
On the other hand the man should move to the wife and when he is there, he may have better chances of getting a job. However it all depends on if the woman has the wisdom and common sence to make the family function, when the husband is out of a job.
Two years away from Home is too long.
For me this is not a marriage but a marriage laid on ice.
Re: Between Family And Job by Ewuro4: 9:39am On Dec 29, 2014
chaircover:

Oya gba grin grin grin
I am a feminist now
Mr CC go hear am cheesy

grin cheesy grin

Mr CC will be like "Kini mo she" cheesy

I'm going to bed abeg. grin Good night sis. kiss
Re: Between Family And Job by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 29, 2014
On a serious note, it depends on the dynamics of the marriage and what has happened in the past/happening now.

In an ideal world, since the woman is earning more and the man isnt getting much from his job, and they are both living apart, it makes sense for either the woman to ask for a transfer back home if thats possible, or the man should look at the possibility of moving to his wifes town so they can all live together as a family.

The second option demands a lot of wisdom, toning down of ego, love and respect and not all husbands or wives can deal with the woman feeding the man until the man gets back on his feet.
Re: Between Family And Job by jaybee3(m): 9:47am On Dec 29, 2014
Sheercover on a roll

whooopie doooooo
Re: Between Family And Job by damiso(f): 10:02am On Dec 29, 2014
This Jaybee is really posh (how many people who are not posh even know there is a word called sheer tongue) its siacofa. cheesy thats the ibadan translation for CC's name.Check the Kini so re advanced dictionary cheesy

@OP It's a no brainer that the family should be in the same location as the higher earner (as the higher earners income will most likely buffer the family's cost of living) but in this case the higher earner does not even contribute that much to the family upkeep I think the family is better off together.Its the parties involved that have to look for a compromise.
Re: Between Family And Job by bukatyne(f): 10:16am On Dec 29, 2014
ahmanim:

The agreement was husband to wife when he gets a job

What really is the hubby's source of concern now?

The fact she does not contribute to the household as expected OR the fact he cannot secure a job yet?
Re: Between Family And Job by delishpot: 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2014
bukatyne:

The agreement was husband to wife when he gets a job

What really is the hubby's source of concern now?

The fact she does not contribute to the household as expected OR the fact he cannot secure a job yet?

I think hubby is still financing most of the family needs. She is working for her own happiness, not cos family needs her salary.
Since hubby is still the main bread winner, she should relocate and go look for a job where hubby is.
So far, OP did not say the lady was avoiding any form of abuse from hubby by earning her own pay.
I do not know who the kids are with right now, as that will also influence my decision. If they are with mom, I will encourage hubby to let her have her own moment. Let him visit them every weekend. But all in all sha, if all is good and happy at the home front, she should go to where hubby is.
Re: Between Family And Job by bukatyne(f): 1:53pm On Dec 29, 2014
delishpot:

I think hubby is still financing most of the family needs. She is working for her own happiness, not cos family needs her salary.

Since hubby is still the main bread winner, she should relocate and go look for a job where hubby is.
So far, OP did not say the lady was avoiding any form of abuse from hubby by earning her own pay.
I do not know who the kids are with right now, as that will also influence my decision. If they are with mom, I will encourage hubby to let her have her own moment. Let him visit them every weekend. But all in all sha, if all is good and happy at the home front, she should go to where hubby is.

Since her goals is not in line with family's objectives, she should move to where hubby is
Re: Between Family And Job by delishpot: 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2014
bukatyne:

Since her goals is not in line with family's objectives, she should move to where hubby is

Yeah. Me too.
Re: Between Family And Job by ahmanim: 3:57pm On Dec 29, 2014
tkz @ all. . the kidz are with d mom
Re: Between Family And Job by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
ahmanim:
tkz @ all. . the kidz are with d mom

Hang on!
if the kids are witn the mom how then isnt she paying any bills . . . or does the husband send her money for their upkeep
She may be paying for bills that you are not aware of
Re: Between Family And Job by ahmanim: 9:27pm On Dec 29, 2014
yes. she does help the family but the basics still being footed by husband. she said though the husband is presently working in a private firm wtout job security his pay is slightly higher than the wife"s. the wife's job is mote secured
Re: Between Family And Job by Ewuro4: 6:36am On Dec 31, 2014
chaircover:

Hang on!
if the kids are witn the mom how then isnt she paying any bills . . . or does the husband send her money for their upkeep
She may be paying for bills that you are not aware of

Again you took words out of my mouth.

No oh, those little alligators only eat air and sand and river water to wash it down. undecided

"Not perse" Yeye men.
Re: Between Family And Job by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 31, 2014
ahmanim:
yes. she does help the family but the basics still being footed by husband. she said though the husband is presently working in a private firm wtout job security his pay is slightly higher than the wife"s. the wife's job is mote secured
ohh, so it isn't really about her earning higher and footing most of the bills? They have to reach a compromise, one has to sacrifice. .. I don't subscribe to long distance marriage, gives room for a lota loopholes and temptation. .. Also, Nothing like togetherness in Marriage, makes the bond stronger. .... #my humble submission

(1) (Reply)

We Can Handle Your Building Design, Approval And Construction / Saudi Man Survived 13 Days Stranded In Desert By Eating Two Of His Four Wives / Please My Fellow Nairalanders Help Me Look For My Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.