Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,664 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

EPL New Year Day Prediction. Do You Agree? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / EPL New Year Day Prediction. Do You Agree? (762 Views)

EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) / Di Maria Is The Epl's New Leading Man / English Premier League EPL New Year Fixtures!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

EPL New Year Day Prediction. Do You Agree? by Eggcelent(m): 11:49am On Dec 31, 2014
LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS

All kick-offs 15:00 GMT unless otherwise stated.
NEW YEAR'S DAY

Stoke City v Man Utd
Stoke v Man Utd (12:45 GMT)

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal criticised the festive programme and said it is impossible for players to recover within 48 hours.

So why did he pick exactly the same team for his side's games against Newcastle and Tottenham? I thought that was a bit strange.

United still could and should have beaten Spurs, though, and in the first half of their 0-0 draw at White Hart Lane they had enough chances to win two games.
Manchester United did get the ball over the line against Tottenham - but Phil Jones' header was ruled out for offside

United did get the ball over the line against Spurs - but Phil Jones' header was ruled out for offside

Stoke come into this fixture having won back-to-back games for the first time this season but I do not think they will make it three on the bounce.

When you look at United and how they set up, they basically play with six attacking players including their wing-backs, who are basically wingers in this system.

This is a tough game for United but I do not see Stoke keeping them out.

You know United are going to create loads of chances, and I do not see them going another game without scoring.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Steve's prediction: The Britannia Stadium on New Year's Day is guaranteed to be windy enough and chilly enough to shock away any lingering hangovers for those in the stands - and the game could be as absorbing as a sausage and bacon roll sent down to soak up the ale. An entertaining draw. 2-2

Aston Villa v Crystal Palace
Aston Villa v Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace's approach has come at an absolutely fantastic time for Alan Pardew. He has put up with a lot at Newcastle - Magpies owner Mike Ashley has looked after him to a degree but the manager's job there comes with all sorts of constraints.
Alan Pardew.

Pardew always toed the line and now he has the chance to go back to London, which is home.

I am sure he has looked at Palace, where he spent time as a player, and thought 'yes I can do this'. It is certainly a good move for him and I can understand why he would take it.

Aston Villa are a hard watch at the moment, and they struggle to score. Whether Pardew is in charge or in the stands, I think his presence can help Palace get a positive result.

Can he keep them up? Yes.

He would not take the job without them saying he has got money for players in January so, if he does take over, he will get the backing he needs to improve their squad.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2

Steve's prediction: Attendances at Villa tell you everything you need to know; crowds of fewer than 30,000 are becoming almost the norm. This will be no place for a neutral. 0-0

Hull v Everton
Hull v Everton

Everton have lost their last three games and their manager Roberto Martinez has got all sorts of injuries to contend with, including goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Martinez's Everton side have won just one of their last seven league games

What was interesting was that they had five former Wigan players in the team that started Sunday's defeat by Newcastle.
Continue reading the main story

“Everton's back-line used to be their rock but, at the moment, you look at them and think they have got a soft centre”

Just like the Latics when they went down under Martinez in 2013, they are making collective and individual defensive mistakes that are costing them.

Their back-line used to be their rock but, at the moment, you look at them and think they have got a soft centre.

From Howard through to Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka at centre-back and Gareth Barry as the holding midfielder, none of them are getting any younger and they are all having very ordinary seasons.

John Stones has emerged as a key player for them at the back with his energy and pace - if he makes a mistake, he is fast enough to recover. But his absence since October means they do not have that at the moment.

The Toffees should not be struggling with the quality they have got elsewhere in their team but I keep saying they need to get the best out of Romelu Lukaku and, the way they are playing, they are not doing that.

They start to 2015 by going to Hull and they are looking down the table, not up.

To see Hull lose to Leicester after winning at Sunderland was bizarre, but they will know how Everton are feeling after coming out of their own run of defeats and sliding down the league. I think that will be a big incentive for the Tigers.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Steve's prediction: Hull are really beginning to worry as wins have proved elusive. Decent draws, like the one at Goodison Park in early December are all well and good, but a couple of victories are required. I still fancy to Everton to nick this though. 1-2

Liverpool v Leicester
Liverpool v Leicester

Liverpool have had a good Christmas so far with wins over Burnley and Swansea, and the speed of Raheem Sterling is still making a big difference for them up front.

It will be tough for the Reds to finish in fourth because of Arsenal and Manchester United but they have got enough to see off Leicester.

The Foxes got a great win over Hull but coping with the intensity of Liverpool's high-tempo attacks will be a very different test for Nigel Pearson's side, and I do not see them holding out for 90 minutes.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Steve's prediction: Leicester had some great days at Anfield in the 70s and 80s but it will be a major surprise if Liverpool don't win this.

Man City v Sunderland
Man City v Sunderland

Manchester City have taken seven points out of nine despite playing without a recognised striker in their last three games, but they will know they should have made it nine out of nine after leading Burnley 2-0 at half-time on Sunday.

I do not see lightning striking twice at the Etihad against Sunderland, though. Gus Poyet's side will go there and try to be difficult to beat but I still fancy City to win.

Steve's prediction: 4-2

Newcastle v Burnley
Newcastle v Burnley

Burnley will be sensing an upset here, thinking there might be some uncertainty at Newcastle because Alan Pardew is on his way to Crystal Palace.

But assistant manager John Carver and first-team coach Steve Stone will pick the team instead of Pardew, and sometimes having a caretaker in charge brings a positive response from players.

The Clarets got a great point at Manchester City on Sunday but I still fancy Newcastle to edge this one.

Steve's prediction: Burnley are now looking at home in the top flight and will give Newcastle a proper game - but I think the hosts have the greater quality. 2-1

QPR v Swansea
QPR v Swansea

Swansea had won their previous two games but they were very disappointing when they lost to Liverpool on Monday night. I was surprised by how open they were and they were too easy to beat.

QPR are at home and striker Charlie Austin is available - and I think that means Swansea will follow those two wins with two straight defeats.

Steve's prediction: If Rangers are to stay up they are going to have to maximise every opportunity at Loftus Road because their away form has been horrendous. This could be a very good game - and I fancy the Hoops. 3-2

Southampton v Arsenal
Southampton v Arsenal

This is another tough game for Southampton but I was impressed by them in their 1-1 draw against Chelsea on Sunday.

It feels like Saints are back after their blip in results and they have got their swagger back a bit, along with some of their players back from injury.

Arsenal were a bit fortunate to beat them at Emirates Stadium at the start of December with a late winner when Southampton were down to 10 men.

I think this game will be just as close and this time Saints will have something to show for it.

The Gunners are level on points with Ronald Koeman's side, who are in fourth place. In the race for the Champions League places the most important thing for Arsenal is that they do not lose.

The more I see of Southampton, the more I think that they are going to figure in that race right up until May.

They are better than Tottenham and Liverpool at the moment and they have already proved they are extremely competitive when they play Arsenal, so they have an outside chance of making the top four.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Steve's prediction: A test for both with Southampton seeking to rediscover the early season composure that made them so attractive. Both sides to be reasonably happy with the draw. 1-1

West Ham v West Brom
West Ham v West Brom

West Ham have hit a bit of a glitch with successive defeats by Chelsea and Arsenal so this is probably the perfect fixture for them to get back on track.

West Brom need a new manager after Alan Irvine's departure and it appears to be between Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood to get the job.

Out of the two, if you were asked who would you back to keep them up then you would say Pulis all day long.

The question is whether he fits into West Brom's coaching structure and accepts their transfer policy, but Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace might have to bite the bullet this time.

Yes, Pulis will probably want some backing in the January transfer window but it will be worth it if he keeps them in the Premier League.

With the right additions, and with Pulis organising them, they will be absolutely fine.

Steve's prediction: West Ham's firepower to be too much for the Baggies. 3-1

Tottenham v Chelsea
Tottenham v Chelsea (17:30 GMT)

This is another tough game for Chelsea but I think they will pass the test at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham have taken 10 points from their last four games but they were lucky to get away with a draw against Manchester United and I do not see them getting away with it against Jose Mourinho's side.

As a team, Spurs have got shortcomings and I think they will be exposed by the leaders.

I look at manager Mauricio Pochettino when he was on the touchline and he looks frustrated. He knows he still has a lot to do there.

It is a different story for Chelsea right now. After this game, they are only left with a trip to Arsenal in terms of really tough away games in the second half of the season - they have already been to Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool - and you just know Jose Mourinho will be aware of that and how it will affect the title race.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Steve's prediction: 2-1

Lawro was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do If You Were The Coach Of This Great Team? (photo) / FIFA President Sepp Blatter Sprayed With Fake Dollar Bills. / Arsenal Set To Complete 2nd MAJOR Summer Signing After Star AGREE Switch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.