Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,656 members, 7,851,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:50 PM

Gerrard Leaving Liverpool! A Repeat Of Lampards Heroics At City? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gerrard Leaving Liverpool! A Repeat Of Lampards Heroics At City? (570 Views)

Liverpool, A One Man(e) Team / Photos Of Vincent Enyeama Leaving Super Eagles Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gerrard Leaving Liverpool! A Repeat Of Lampards Heroics At City? by doublezero7(m): 9:59am On Jan 02, 2015
After Liverpool's disappointing 2-2 draw against Leicester City at Anfield, the major talking point was Stephen Gerrard. A lot of persons were of the opinion that his time in the Liverpool squad is over! Jamie Carragher, Gerrard's childhood friend was of the opinion that it was time to walk. Pundits all over England advised that the Liverpool great should call it a day with the club. The opine that with Captain Fantastic being dropped for crucial games (against Madrid for instance) and the fact that Henderson is being pushed out right to accommodate Gerrard, the best decision for both club and player is to path ways.
However, I beg to disagree. Why? I see a potential Frank Lampard's case in the offing.
Stephen Gerrard is considered as one of the greatest players to play for Liverpool (along with King Kenny Daglish and Robbie Fowler). Not only that, no one at Anfield presently knows the club better that Stephen Gerrard. Not the coach and definitely not the owners. Why would a player like that be allowed to leave?
The claim that playing Gerrard pushes Henderson out wide of the central midfield is unnecessary! I believe this is something that the coach can easily address. The two players will complement each other if played at the centre midfield. This isn't sufficient reason not to keep Gerrard.
In the present Liverpool squad, Gerrard is one of the best players in the squad (along with Sturridge and Sterling). In the past 18 months, he seems to be better with his age. The stats are a testament to this fact. Gerrard's passing accuracy (86%) is his best in the Premier League than at any stage of his career. His 13 assists last season was his personal best for the club. Even his 13 goals was his second best (behing his 16 goals in th 08/09 season). Gerrard thrived playing behind Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling. That Liverpool squad were a delight to watch.
I make bold to say that Liverpool's problem isn't Gerrard (or Balotelli). Liverpool's problem is not spending well after selling Suarez. Losing the team's best player in the previous season demoralized the team. They brought in new player who have struggled to adapt. That's not Gerrard's fault.
Finally, I see a potential Frank Lampard's case here. He played so well for Chelsea over the years but was deemed too old to continue and was let go. Lampard signed for a club in the MLS and was loaned back to Man City. He has been decisive for the club ever since. Scoring important goals (scored against Chelsea...remember?) and making assists. The interesting thing is that, he isn't even a starter in the team. Most Chelsea faithfuls are disappointed seeing him play so well for City. But that's what you get by letting your hero's go for nothing. The same issue happened to AC Milan and Andrea Pirlo. He is still playing at the highest level for Juventus. Giggs was appreciated at United, and now he's the assistant coach there. Paulo Maldini, Carles Puyol, Xavi? Their clubs repaid their loyalty! Need I say more?
Liverpool should learn from the above. They should keep the legend and let him enter the game as a sub to get the decisive goal or assist...just like Lamps is doing for Man City.
What's your own opinion?

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive Picture Of Nigerian Players Preparing For AFCON 2015. / Samuel Eto’o Storms Out Of Training At Sampdoria / RONALDO: I’d Pay My Own Money To Buy MESSI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.