Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,844 members, 7,956,170 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:43 AM

Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today (55517 Views)

Ikpeazu Introduces Education For Employment In Abia / 20 Best Course With Best Employment In Nigeria / Bachelor’s Degrees With Lots Of Employment Options. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by baybeeboi: 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2015
kristein:
of recent...about a couple of days ago..I basically made a write up of the best top 10 courses and hot cake in nigeria as at today..

but I have finally,come up with another write up of the top 10 worst degrees with lowest potential for employment in nigeria as at today

certainly,there is no degree that guarantees one job in & by itself however given the current economic situation and the fast pace of economic and technological shift in the continent and nigeria in particular there are degrees you would be better off not investing your time and resources to acquire as opportunities affected in those areas are increasingly getting eroded...if however you have a degree in any of them and finding it tough to make career headway it's time to put on your thinking cap
1 General Arts;
this cover anything from art history to painting/sculpture in the western world and developed countries having a degree in the arts could fetch one decent job opportunities several years ago..after the depression however with many european economic still sttuggling to recover it's becoming increasingly tough to find opportunities for majors in such areas like archeology,painting/fine art,history et cetera.

the opportunities for these sort of degrees are shrinking and people with the academic credentials thinking to get themselves a job in related field would have to do a cot of innovative and pro active thinking.
career counsellors advise those who want to study such things as art,dance,and music to have a specific strategy...sometimes a way out could be getting a higher degree(such as masters).

2 Humanities and liberal Arts;
if you love sitting and thinking about the intricacies of life and expounding on theories of existence or analysing political theories and events there may not be enough opportunities to do that in real life with your philosophy or political science degree to earn good money..
Humanities and liberal Art degree courses like Anthropology,political science,philosophy and many more do not give the graduates who passes them specific in road into the employement market..unlike professional courses like engineering,and the business field having a degree in any of the humanities may not really point one to a specific career direction.

3 Education;
unless you are willing to take higher degrees and pursue teaching opportunities at higher levels of the education ladder having an education degree is hardly going to get you the best jobs.
the only ways a graduate degree holder in education will do better is either to go for higher qualification and try to break into higher level teaching or do a career switch entirely and go for higher qualification in a different field that has more career prospects.

4 Religious studies;
Given the way churches and self styled pastors are springing up in every nook and cranny it should appear that splurging money on a religious studies degree will present the holder with bright prospects...however nothing can be further from the truth..except you are willing to plunge in and open your own church down the street,becoming a quran clutching preacher et cetera...there are hardly any existing opportunities for you to explore if you have a religiouss studies degree and wish to exploit opportunities there in.

5 Mass communication;
In considering mass communication we had a struggle with choosing a few other courses ahead of mass communication but at the end the argument was too much against mass communication degree.
the increasing introduction of media technology is eating away at the former strongholds of mass communication graduates..reporters and journalist find the rug being gradually pulled of their feet as bloggers and writers who hitherto knew nothing about mass communication.

take over the business of news discovering and sharing newspaper and television are no longer holding the baton in exclusive control of the media business...for mass comm.majors who wish to find and pursue the right career day need to understand the change in mass media and communication tools and acquire the right skills.
other worst course are;
6 botany
7 social studies
8 english literature
9 zoology
10 forest and wildlife management(wonderwhat you wana do with these,mayb you will use the certificate for cutting of woods in the forest)

mayb u shld av made it clear that if it is work strictly''based on ur field of study''. And Forestry realy shouldn't be there

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by manny4life(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2015
Ilekeh:

Then become a farmer or a gardener.

If you want money, think twice.

More like if you want money, "ACT WISE".

You can think all the money you want, your action is what brings the money.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2015
kristein:

1 General Arts;
this cover anything from art history to painting/sculpture in the western world and developed countries having a degree in the arts could fetch one decent job opportunities several years ago..after the depression however with many european economic still sttuggling to recover it's becoming increasingly tough to find opportunities for majors in such areas like archeology,painting/fine art,history et cetera.

the opportunities for these sort of degrees are shrinking and people with the academic credentials thinking to get themselves a job in related field would have to do a cot of innovative and pro active thinking.
career counsellors advise those who want to study such things as art,dance,and music to have a specific strategy...sometimes a way out could be getting a higher degree(such as masters).

Truth in Television.....know of one of my mates who read fine arts....and no job. Another chappie I knew now teaches art at secondary school (which wasn't what he originally had in mind....still it'sa good job).

if you love sitting and thinking about the intricacies of life and expounding on theories of existence or analysing political theories and events there may not be enough opportunities to do that in real life with your philosophy or political science degree to earn good money..
Humanities and liberal Art degree courses like Anthropology,political science,philosophy and many more do not give the graduates who passes them specific in road into the employement market..unlike professional courses like engineering,and the business field having a degree in any of the humanities may not really point one to a specific career direction.

Truth in television again.....knew a pol sci student who told me point blank....I am enrolling in law school once I graduate.

3 Education;
unless you are willing to take higher degrees and pursue teaching opportunities at higher levels of the education ladder having an education degree is hardly going to get you the best jobs.
the only ways a graduate degree holder in education will do better is either to go for higher qualification and try to break into higher level teaching or do a career switch entirely and go for higher qualification in a different field that has more career prospects.

I disagree....we will always need teachers.....especially as more kids enter school....esp primary and secondary school.

4 Religious studies;
Given the way churches and self styled pastors are springing up in every nook and cranny it should appear that splurging money on a religious studies degree will present the holder with bright prospects...however nothing can be further from the truth..except you are willing to plunge in and open your own church down the street,becoming a quran clutching preacher et cetera...there are hardly any existing opportunities for you to explore if you have a religiouss studies degree and wish to exploit opportunities there in.

Depends....if you are going to work as a cleric in the older denominations(speaking for Christianity).....religious studies is where its' at.

5 Mass communication;
In considering mass communication we had a struggle with choosing a few other courses ahead of mass communication but at the end the argument was too much against mass communication degree.
the increasing introduction of media technology is eating away at the former strongholds of mass communication graduates..reporters and journalist find the rug being gradually pulled of their feet as bloggers and writers who hitherto knew nothing about mass communication.

take over the business of news discovering and sharing newspaper and television are no longer holding the baton in exclusive control of the media business...for mass comm.majors who wish to find and pursue the right career day need to understand the change in mass media and communication tools and acquire the right skills.

Indeed....truth. Even for international broadcasting....Richard Quest , of CNN fame has a degree in LAW!(i am not lying). His MSc is in mass comm...but he is a certified LLB graduate! And there are many like him in the international broadcasting game.
other worst course are;
6 botany
Unless you want to do research acada.....or teach....or go abroad and become an international expert....forget it.

7 social studies

Bleh. NEXT!

8 english literature

Not exactly bad (personal....I regret not doing English Lit in secondary school.)....but yes...no job (unless you are Farooq Kperogi....and unless you want to be acada man...or a newspaper editor....them newspapers don;t sell well these days!)

9 zoology

Yes...you won;t get a job.....like botany...which really is too bad; we need to conserve our dying wildlife.....our national flower has died out (so you did not know we had a national flower! What do they teach children in school these days? How to dance azonto?!)...But don't lose hope you can become President! (YES!!).
10 forest and wildlife management(wonderwhat you wana do with these,mayb you will use the certificate for cutting of woods in the forest)

Well to answer your question....we use wood for a lot of things...housing, cooking, furniture,construction, etc.AND.....it is the job of the wildlife manager/forestry graduate....TO SEE TO IT....that we have enough wood in the country for allthat stuff...and also that it does not run out(so that our country does not become the Sahara desert's southern outpost....driving the Fulanis down to the South East....and leading to the second civil war which certain folks around here want to happen.I choose to name no names.. But.....if it was not for the forestry guy(they were important in the reforestation and afforestation projects of the government in the 1980's and 90's)...the Sahara would be pressing down to Benue (Scary man!). But....not jst the North....the forestry guy also helps prevent erosion in the South East....by planting trees.

So very very important

But you Nigerians all want to work in banks, work in oil companies...and every other job can go away!(Forestry graduate...It is not my portion that I will work in a village planting trees in the North....I must work in GTBank IJN! Can somebody say Amen!!) grin
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Akposy(m): 8:03pm On Jan 02, 2015
Ilekeh:

Then become a farmer or a gardener.

If you want money, think twice.
seems u left ur brain in 2014...
Am nt an agriculturist!
Farming is a very lucrative business but unfortunately am a plant scientist and not an agronomist

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Ilekeh(f): 8:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
Akposy:

seems u left ur brain in 2014...
Am nt an agriculturist!
Farming is a very lucrative business but unfortunately am a plant scientist and not an agronomist

See your mouth like plant scientist.
Shame no dey even catch you.
Go and plant your brain in landfill if you want, but I'm letting you know that you'll probably end up a farmer/gardener.

Plant scientist in Nigeria. You're on a long thing.

Last minute admission?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by kunlenkirol(m): 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2015
The writer have a good article, perhaps garnished with good lexicon but the argument therein isn't tenable. It is not true because some of those that I know that study those courses mentioned are working in a very reputable organisation. The labour market these days don't hinge on what you study but on what you can churn out, your output and your versatality. I know of people who study humanities courses like Political Science, Philosophy and English literature and they are working in the blue chip companies. I studied Philosophy and I did not regret it for one day that I studied it.
Note that in Nigeria, it is not what you study in school that matters but your intellectual prowess and your ability to deliver that matters. Infact, no course is second fiddle. All courses are important, just like all Tertiary institutions are good but it is the individual that matter.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Deapexboy(m): 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2015
SenatorM:
What of Urban and Regional planning??

stop making baseless comment on what u don't knw

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Ilekeh(f): 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2015
manny4life:

More like if you want money, "ACT WISE".

You can think all the money you want, your action is what brings the money.

Not arguing that point.

But what has that got to do with my post? Are you encouraging plant scientist major in Nigeria?

Well what can I say, my president studied zoology and turned the country to a zoo.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Akposy(m): 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2015
Ilekeh:

See your mouth like plant scientist.
Shame no dey even catch you.
Go and plant your brain in landfill if you want, but I'm letting you know that you'll probably end up a farmer/gardener.

Plant scientist in Nigeria. You're on a long thing.

Last minute admission?
shame ke? I enjoy and find joy in studying botany.
Who are u to tell me whr i wld end up. Dis is 2015 u had better start tinking of whr u wld end up

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by holysainbj(m): 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
Imo this shouldn't b here,some people study this courses nd posting this on FP is derogatory to them
FYI I do none of those courses but let's be real.this shouldn't b here.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by eyinjuege: 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
Abajosax007:
in 21st century you dont survive by what you studied you survive by what you know

So very TRUE!!!
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Ilekeh(f): 8:14pm On Jan 02, 2015
Akposy:

shame ke? I enjoy and find joy in studying botany.
Who are u to tell me whr i wld end up. Dis is 2015 u had better start tinking of whr u wld end up

Yes, this is 2015, not 1915. I hope you understand that.
Anyway, go on soldier. I need more people like you to grow waterleaf and okra.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Akposy(m): 8:16pm On Jan 02, 2015
Ilekeh:

Yes, this is 2015, not 1915. I hope you understand that.
Anyway, go on soldier. I need more people like you to grow waterleaf and okra.
kip deceiving n trying to fool urself.....common sense is not common
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by a4hafoe(m): 8:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
this op is just blabbing... u might b ryt to some extent but izz better u be the best in whatever you do...evn theater art self..pple wey study agric dy act.. itz just being the best u cn b in watever field u fyn urself.. proudly a journalist
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
Lordseyad:
Proudly Statistician--

Statistics- facts from figures
Another proud ASSONite here bro
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by philantoxx(m): 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
kristen12:
You're saying trash and your list is baseless.
I presume u did mass communication rite?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Ilekeh(f): 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2015
Akposy:

kip deceiving n trying to fool urself.....common sense is not common

Another #18k/month ngga in the making.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Locapito(m): 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2015
Forget that ur writeup, ur survival nowadays depends on the right connection u make no matter the discipline. Afterall,GEJ read zoology and he's a president today, presiding over millions of doctors, engineers, lawyers,etc. Likewise a fine art graduate can also make it in life more than those hotcake courses if rightly connected.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Akposy(m): 8:23pm On Jan 02, 2015
Ilekeh:

Another #18k/month ngga in the making.
i wonder how old u r....u r growing without ur senses or maybe ur exposure is confided to nairaland alone

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by kristen12(f): 8:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
philantoxx:

I presume u did mass communication rite?
No
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by pabon(m): 8:26pm On Jan 02, 2015
I've seen this kinda topic like a dozen times already. Why does it keep coming back again. Like I don't know my course aint really marketable. Mttchewww!!! *pissed*
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by fijiano202(m): 8:26pm On Jan 02, 2015
sharap joor if u even study nairalandogy in school and have connections i bet u that u will find work before doctors
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Doncharis(m): 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2015
kristein:
of recent...about a couple of days ago..I basically made a write up of the best top 10 courses and hot cake in nigeria as at today..

but I have finally,come up with another write up of the top 10 worst degrees with lowest potential for employment in nigeria as at today

certainly,there is no degree that guarantees one job in & by itself however given the current economic situation and the fast pace of economic and technological shift in the continent and nigeria in particular there are degrees you would be better off not investing your time and resources to acquire as opportunities affected in those areas are increasingly getting eroded...if however you have a degree in any of them and finding it tough to make career headway it's time to put on your thinking cap
1 General Arts;

3 Education;

4 Religious studies;

5 Mass communication;

other worst course are;
6 botany
7 social studies
8 english literature
9 zoology
zoology kee,,..,bt mr.jona use am bcum presido
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by bola4dprec(m): 8:28pm On Jan 02, 2015
kristein:

1 General Arts;

3 Education;

4 Religious studies;

5 Mass communication;

other worst course are;
6 botany
7 social studies
8 english literature
9 zoology
exclude education don't you passed through education ?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by saqo(m): 8:29pm On Jan 02, 2015
faqman:

op....
u don forget to add Jumpology to your list...
Are u a Unilorite?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
Lordseyad:
Proudly Statistician--

Statistics- facts from figures
we rule the world.Gbope ti e. 
( cheesy )

/ \ ,
' ‎​
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by AreaFada2: 8:31pm On Jan 02, 2015
Although I'm in the top 10 on an earlier thread, I believe you can make an impact in any discipline if you're passionate and commited enough.

The fact that courses like Botany, Zoology, Forestry & Wildlife, education etc are not lucrative explain why we're were we're as a nation.

Educational standards ghave fallen in Nigeria. One reason is those who study education mostly do so as "how I for do na". Basically as last resort. Yet we need committed educationists badly.

With the plant & animal sciences, we're neglecting areas of comparative advantage.

Conserving our widlife and forests would greatly enhance biodiversity & tourism around 100 years from now. Hopefully our descendants will not be as clueless as our current generations. They deserve a chance to harness these natural assets.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by aisle: 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2015
Aisle was here!
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Defcon1(m): 8:33pm On Jan 02, 2015
KillerBeauty:

True. Even if you studied shiiit science if you prove yourself worthy and you have what I need in my organization, you are hired
l guess the op meant being employed in the very same field of study,not necessarily employability.
after all there are many engineers and other science professionals working as professional bankers
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by AZeD1(m): 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
OP do you have any evidence to support the trash you just wrote?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by muredo(m): 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
@OP,you fall your hand by mentioned Forestry and Wildlife
If I comes to this world again I will go for Forestry again,
Am living like a king,what am earning as a stipend is what Lecturer 1 is earning as a salary in Nigeria
Please Forestry student,apply for scholarship,we have upper hand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. / RIP: Sunkanmi A Part One Student Of OAU Inter Rel. / Effects Of Lamination On Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.