Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. (10675 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies / Top 5 Nigerian Universities For Postgraduate Studies / Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by pico4421: 7:01pm On Jan 02, 2015
Considering the high quest for postgraduate education by Nigerians, getting admitted for a Masters or PhD in a Nigeria university is now becoming a task. Gone are those days when graduates had a secured job placement immediately after school. Getting master is now a 'procedure to take ' right after NYSC, and there are those who never stopped their education till they get their PhD
Doing your masters within record time in a Nigerian university could be another issue altogether, as many postgraduate students are frustrated in their postgraduate programme. This would help you decide which Nigerian University has the fastest postgraduate [especially masters] programme.
You can add your suggestions to assist those that wish to be informed.

The Private Universities: There are over 20 private universities in Nigeria, but the most significant ones in terms of quality include:

Covenant University,
Babcock university,
Madonna,
African University of Science and Technology,
Lead City, Ajayi Crowther and a few others. This universities, all privately owned offer the shortest time to obtained your masters degree. In a private Nigerian University, you should obtain your masters degree in about 10 months. Generally, they begin their session in September and end in June.

University of Ilorin: University of Ilorin has made a name for itself as the only federal university in Nigeria whose academic calendar has not been altered for about 7years. This has made the school a go-to place for postgraduate studies in Nigeria. Getting admitted for a masters in UNILORIN is very competitive, because of its reputation. Depending on other factors like you thesis supervisor e.t.c, you should obtain you masters degree from UNILORIN in about a year.

University of Lagos: It is one of the most expensive federal universities to do your masters, but if you work hard, favoured by your thesis supervisor and choose a modest research topic, you should be through in about 14 months. While there are many variables that could extend it for longer, you would not be frustrated by your masters degree programme, except your are just so unlucky.

University of Nigeria, Nsukka: UNN is generally overlooked as a place for postgraduate studies because the school is not located in a city. UNN is one of the fastest place to obtain your masters. In fact, in engineering and sciences, you can obtain your masters degree in less than a year. It is usually tougher in the faculty of education, where you will have to make many presentations and seminars plus challenging thesis proposal. For a hard working student, with other positive variables in place, you should be through with your masters in 18 months.

University of Ibadan: Ibadan has become an Harvard of some sort to many prospective postgraduate students. Getting admitted for a masters in Ibadan could be very tough, but the programme is not so herculean. Once you scale through the course work, you are expected, to present your thesis within 6 months. Plus or minus, you should be through in 18 - 21 months.
Source:http://unnedu..com/2015/01/top-5-schools-to-do-your-postgraduate.html

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Abdulleeh: 7:28pm On Jan 02, 2015
University of Ilorin. I love my school. Loved to go back there for my MSc but av got to make money 1st. Probitas Doctrina. Better by far.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by rattlesnake(m): 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2015
Unimaid I.e university of maiduguri na d best.......
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by ComradeTY(m): 10:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
What about FUTA, FUTMINNA and FUTO?

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 03, 2015
ComradeTY:
What about FUTA, FUTMINNA and FUTO?
did u just say futo dat skul nawah for them,, they can frustrate someone..... [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by oilykid(m): 12:53am On Jan 03, 2015
pico4421:
Considering the high quest for postgraduate education by Nigerians, getting admitted for a Masters or PhD in a Nigeria university is now becoming a task. Gone are those days when graduates had a secured job placement immediately after school. Getting master is now a 'procedure to take ' right after NYSC, and there are those who never stopped their education till they get their PhD
Doing your masters within record time in a Nigerian university could be another issue altogether, as many postgraduate students are frustrated in their postgraduate programme. This would help you decide which Nigerian University has the fastest postgraduate [especially masters] programme.
You can add your suggestions to assist those that wish to be informed.

The Private Universities: There are over 20 private universities in Nigeria, but the most significant ones in terms of quality include:

Covenant University,
Babcock university,
Madonna,
African University of Science and Technology,
Lead City, Ajayi Crowther and a few others. This universities, all privately owned offer the shortest time to obtained your masters degree. In a private Nigerian University, you should obtain your masters degree in about 10 months. Generally, they begin their session in September and end in June.

University of Ilorin: University of Ilorin has made a name for itself as the only federal university in Nigeria whose academic calendar has not been altered for about 7years. This has made the school a go-to place for postgraduate studies in Nigeria. Getting admitted for a masters in UNILORIN is very competitive, because of its reputation. Depending on other factors like you thesis supervisor e.t.c, you should obtain you masters degree from UNILORIN in about a year.

University of Lagos: It is one of the most expensive federal universities to do your masters, but if you work hard, favoured by your thesis supervisor and choose a modest research topic, you should be through in about 14 months. While there are many variables that could extend it for longer, you would not be frustrated by your masters degree programme, except your are just so unlucky.

University of Nigeria, Nsukka: UNN is generally overlooked as a place for postgraduate studies because the school is not located in a city. UNN is one of the fastest place to obtain your masters. In fact, in engineering and sciences, you can obtain your masters degree in less than a year. It is usually tougher in the faculty of education, where you will have to make many presentations and seminars plus challenging thesis proposal. For a hard working student, with other positive variables in place, you should be through with your masters in 18 months.

University of Ibadan: Ibadan has become an Harvard of some sort to many prospective postgraduate students. Getting admitted for a masters in Ibadan could be very tough, but the programme is not so herculean. Once you scale through the course work, you are expected, to present your thesis within 6 months. Plus or minus, you should be through in 18 - 21 months.
Source:http://unnedu..com/2015/01/top-5-schools-to-do-your-postgraduate.html
Thrash!!who told you that unn is overlooked
Universities like unizik Abu and uni port should be in place of unilag
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by ednut1(m): 3:38am On Jan 03, 2015
london business school, manchester business school,harvard,oxford nd reading. grin no time. is it coincidence dat majority of d bosses where i work hv these nd nt Nigerian postgraduate.
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 4:05am On Jan 03, 2015
Noted
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by omowolewa: 4:42am On Jan 03, 2015
Lagoos Business School

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by NifemiOlu(m): 4:45am On Jan 03, 2015
I think Unilorin is also very cheap. Talking of uninterrupted academic calendar, that has been since 2002.
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by ComradeTY(m): 7:28am On Jan 03, 2015
YNeme3E:
did u just say futo dat skul nawah for them,, they can frustrate someone.....

What about FUTA?
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by zicoy6k: 8:00am On Jan 03, 2015
OP you are right about UNILORIN. I finished NYSC In october 2013 and i became an MSc holder in september 2014. But you are wrong about UNILAG, u can finish your MSc. In abt 18 months but your result may not be ready until after three years or more, u can confirm this from those who av obtained postgraduate qualifications from there in recent times.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Heycube(m): 8:54am On Jan 03, 2015
UNILORIN and UNN on point....
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by adepink(f): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2015
What about PHD?
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by emmyw(m): 2:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
UI all the way

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by siegfried99(m): 4:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
Nice one OP.

Thanks
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by kheart(m): 7:11pm On Jan 03, 2015
any idea how much ll it cost to do msc in uni ilorin, i want to buy pg form n ve nt decided yet whether i should buy ABU (an abusite) or UI.
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
K
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 03, 2015
Friedplantain reply my mail na
Very important.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by heroarams(m): 9:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
Outside Nigeria....I repeat outside Nigeria. Get the white man's degree and come reign supreme back at home.

Please wait here »» http:///6L5v9BH7VS «« until you are useful or you find sth new to post•
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Danny4show(m): 10:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
Abdulleeh:
University of Ilorin. I love my school. Loved to go back there for my MSc but av got to make money 1st. Probitas Doctrina. Better by far.
good...wats course did u study?
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Abdulleeh: 10:19pm On Jan 03, 2015
Danny4show:
good...wats course did u study?

Civil Engineering
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by olabs201(m): 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
Cost of MSC in uniilorin or ui any idea pls
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Friedplantain reply my mail na
Very important.
I don reply tey tey na
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Evathyst(f): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
FriedPlantain:
If you are working and you have little time for any other thing, and you want run your masters programme in a reputable federal universty, I'd suggest you choose National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). Admission isn't as difficult as other top Federal universities, your education won't be hampered by strikes, the fees and total cost of running a post graduate degree there is relatively cheap, you can do it anywhere in the country and whole package no get wahala like other institutions. You also get to meet the best lecturers around in the country there, and if you are a bright and hardworking student, you could finish within a year!

If you still don't fancy this juicy offer, you can come join me in France where I'm currently running my MSC, my masters, APC, Bsc and PHD concurrently. cool

Friedplantain
He he he he! Some nairalanders sha. Even when one has resolved not to laff, characters like ds will alwz lighten up one's day.

But on a more serious note Sir, been trying to find out about Open Univ, but it seems they don't offer my course(Env Biology) as a post-graduate course. Any idea of the courses which their post graduate college offers for Faculty of pure science?
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by chimexcomm(m): 4:04am On Jan 04, 2015
As for UNN it depends on the course you are doing your M.sc. In social science if you are serious you can finish in less than 18 months. U have seen someone that finished Ph,D in social science within 2 years. All also depends on your supervisor. As for science, Hmmm. No comment.....
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Jhymrod(f): 12:07pm On Jan 04, 2015
And where is FUNAAB on the list undecided
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 04, 2015
OAU is no go for post graduate studies. No half measures from the strict lecturers there. You must be really ready to work very hard. If you manage to finish within 2 years then you are very brilliant and hard working. grin grin
Re: Top 5 Schools To Do Your Postgraduate Studies. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
Evathyst:
He he he he! Some nairalanders sha. Even when one has resolved not to laff, characters like ds will alwz lighten up one's day.

But on a more serious note Sir, been trying to find out about Open Univ, but it seems they don't offer my course(Env Biology) as a post-graduate course. Any idea of the courses which their post graduate college offers for Faculty of pure science?
Actually they offer your course except it is only at the PHD level. For now the only science course one can do at masters level is Information Technology. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijmb Direct Entry Into Uniabuja / Study in Ghana,Admission forms for sale! Admission Open For Sept Intake! / When Is The Jamb Change Of Course And Change Of Institution Form Closing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.