Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians (1622 Views)

The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / Commonly Misspelled Words That Start With The Letter ‘a’ / 78 Most Commonly Misspelled WORDS In English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
Nigerians are a ‘clever’ bunch when it comes to the use of English words. A lot of us, possibly out of negligence, do not spell English words out right. As an avid reader, and a troller of Nairaland, I feel ridiculed when I see adulteratedly- written words. It makes me just break up!
Common words, simple words that come out of our mouths all the time, we are clever at misspelling them. Naija, I hail thee! But I know we are smart people. Hmnnnnn.
Here, I compile some of the top 10 words that are commonly misspelled among not just ordinary Nigerians but also among the ‘elites’.

1. PRONOUNCIATION: Lo, there is no such word as PRONOUNCIATION! It is ‘PRO-NUN-CIA-TION. Say /pro-NON-siay-shen/. Obviously, the verb form is ‘pronounce’.
2. DEFINATELY: Behold, this poo word does not exist! It is actually ‘DEFINITELY’. A lot of us are also guilty of mispronouncing it.
3. CONVENANT: My friend, rid your head of this poo word. It is ‘COVENANT’. Say/ KUHVUNANT/ or you want to sound very ‘educated’, then say/kuhvnuhnt/, discreetly and subtly. You know, the other night, I was chatting with a recently- graduated cousin of mine over whatsapp. And these conversations ensued between us:
Me: congrats, bro. u look so cool and macho in that NYSC gear. Can’t wait to get out of UI too.
Cousin: oh Raji. Wassup wif u. ows skool?
Me: m gud bro. so, which school you got out of coz I dnt remember.
Cousin: Convenant University, my man.
Me: what? Wat is that? (I wasn’t actually playing him or being derisive)
Cousin: convenant na!
Me: (pauses.Pulling the little tuft of hair in my chin) half a minute later, “oh, ok. Oyedepo’s COVENANT?
Cousin: what?! I dint no that o. na wa for me o. I spent a lill more than 4 years there and I cant even spell the skool right, shekkenah.
Lol.lol.lol.lol. now, look at that real life scenario. I am pretty sure he was ok it was with me and not with a potential employer or somebody.
4. OKRO: This word hardly exists in Merriem-Webster’s. Not even Oxford Dic. It is actually ‘OKRA. Say/OHKRA/
5. ALUMINIUM: Nah! It is ‘ALUMINUM’.
6. SEPERATE: Wrong! It is actually ‘SEPARATE’.
7. ARGUEMENT : This one is arguably so misused that one who usually spells it right starts to get confused about its actual spelling! Hey, dnt reformat a already- formatted brain, abeg! Well, it is ‘ARGUMENT’ Say/ ARGYUMENT/. In a rapid speech, like Americans and Brits often incorporate, you may well say/orgyimint/. It must be fast but subtle. U get?
8. HARRASSMENT: Not, ever! It is HARASSMENT, which is not at all synonymous to EMBARRASSMENT.
9. DINNING: Naija youths and teens are especially guilty of this bastardized word. It is correctly, ‘DINING’. The noun form, which is dinner, has a dual ‘n’
10. MISCHEVIOUS: Yay! Ki le le yi? It is ‘MISCHEVOUS’. Say/MISCHEVUS/ not ‘VIORS’.
Hey, my hands. Oya, come and add yours coz this list is endless. Make I siddon, observe and learn.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by xpac01(m): 8:03pm On Jan 04, 2015
Educating, but you can still research more. thanks all the way.
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Sigoal(m): 8:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by missdebs(f): 2:55am On Jan 05, 2015
11.) CONTINUOUS, this is actually spelt CONTINOUS even by teachers and some lecturers eg CONTINOUS ASSESSMENT

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by FolabiCash: 3:30am On Jan 05, 2015
Thanks, its very educative but ALUMINIUM IS CORRECT , ALSO ALUMINUM.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 05, 2015
raj2014:
Nigerians are a ‘clever’ bunch when it comes to the use of English words. A lot of us, possibly out of negligence, do not spell English words out right. As an avid reader, and a troller of Nairaland, I feel ridiculed when I see adulteratedly- written words. It makes me just break up!
Common words, simple words that come out of our mouths all the time, we are clever at misspelling them. Naija, I hail thee! But I know we are smart people. Hmnnnnn.
Here, I compile some of the top 10 words that are commonly misspelled among not just ordinary Nigerians but also among the ‘elites’.

1. PRONOUNCIATION: Lo, there is no such word as PRONOUNCIATION! It is ‘PRO-NUN-CIA-TION. Say /pro-NON-siay-shen/. Obviously, the verb form is ‘pronounce’.
2. DEFINATELY: Behold, this poo word does not exist! It is actually ‘DEFINITELY’. A lot of us are also guilty of mispronouncing it.
3. CONVENANT: My friend, rid your head of this poo word. It is ‘COVENANT’. Say/ KUHVUNANT/ or you want to sound very ‘educated’, then say/kuhvnuhnt/, discreetly and subtly. You know, the other night, I was chatting with a recently- graduated cousin of mine over whatsapp. And these conversations ensued between us:
Me: congrats, bro. u look so cool and macho in that NYSC gear. Can’t wait to get out of UI too.
Cousin: oh Raji. Wassup wif u. ows skool?
Me: m gud bro. so, which school you got out of coz I dnt remember.
Cousin: Convenant University, my man.
Me: what? Wat is that? (I wasn’t actually playing him or being derisive)
Cousin: convenant na!
Me: (pauses.Pulling the little tuft of hair in my chin) half a minute later, “oh, ok. Oyedepo’s COVENANT?
Cousin: what?! I dint no that o. na wa for me o. I spent a lill more than 4 years there and I cant even spell the skool right, shekkenah.
Lol.lol.lol.lol. now, look at that real life scenario. I am pretty sure he was ok it was with me and not with a potential employer or somebody.
4. OKRO: This word hardly exists in Merriem-Webster’s. Not even Oxford Dic. It is actually ‘OKRA. Say/OHKRA/
5. ALUMINIUM: Nah! It is ‘ALUMINUM’.
6. SEPERATE: Wrong! It is actually ‘SEPARATE’.
7. ARGUEMENT : This one is arguably so misused that one who usually spells it right starts to get confused about its actual spelling! Hey, dnt reformat a already- formatted brain, abeg! Well, it is ‘ARGUMENT’ Say/ ARGYUMENT/. In a rapid speech, like Americans and Brits often incorporate, you may well say/orgyimint/. It must be fast but subtle. U get?
8. HARRASSMENT: Not, ever! It is HARASSMENT, which is not at all synonymous to EMBARRASSMENT.
9. DINNING: Naija youths and teens are especially guilty of this bastardized word. It is correctly, ‘DINING’. The noun form, which is dinner, has a dual ‘n’
10. MISCHEVIOUS: Yay! Ki le le yi? It is ‘MISCHEVOUS’. Say/MISCHEVUS/ not ‘VIORS’.
Hey, my hands. Oya, come and add yours coz this list is endless. Make I siddon, observe and learn.
I don't think you get that Aluminum and Aluminium correctly because the both are similar and perhaps, Aluminium is vastly used in chemistry over Aluminum, so which of the both should be more appropriate to use?
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 05, 2015
issokay

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Chimarto: 9:44am On Jan 05, 2015
I was once a victim but I thank Amandioha for Keyboard spellcheck.
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by bukie26(f): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2015
Actually, its mischievous nt mischevous... ND aluminium nd aluminum is d same
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Emodeee: 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2015
Even d OP No sabi spelling well. Do u think nairaland is a place where u cn cum and form ITK? We av so many elites here. If u r nt careful, they will lambast u and openly disgrace u. Some r already doing it though.
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2015
bukie26:

ok, thats fine
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
Emodeee:
Even d OP No sabi spelling well. Do u think nairaland is a place where u cn cum and form ITK? We av so many elites here. If u r nt careful, they will lambast u and openly disgrace u. Some r already doing it though.

this is not a forum for unhealthy competition. well, what does one do in naija and one doesn't get 'lambasted and disgraced openly for? so, it don't (sic) matter!
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
icecalm:
I don't think you get that Aluminum and Aluminium correctly because the both are similar and perhaps, Aluminium is vastly used in chemistry over Aluminum, so which of the both should be more appropriate to use?

u may be right about that! i dnt know. but i do see 'aluminum' as more standard. i looked up the word in every major dics, it is!
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
raj2014:

u may be right about that! i dnt know. but i do see 'aluminum' as more standard. i looked up the word in every major dics, it is!
okay,
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
funny op, some of your words are also misspelled
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2015
op another thing u should know, when it comes to spellings in English, there are two ways of spelling words. You either spell the American way or the British way. No ideas if there's a Portuguese or Chinese way of spelling but I do know Nigerians either spell like the Americans or British.
Re: Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians by INTROVERT247: 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
bukie26:
Hi,u stay in Akure,right?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Give Or Collect Something From Our Elders With Our Right Hands? / JAMB Mathematics Syllabus For UTME 2015-2016 / National Open University Port Harcourt Center Lectures ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.