Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,353 members, 7,954,414 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:35 PM

How Should I Set Up My Home Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Should I Set Up My Home Network (1259 Views)

How Can I Set Mtn Gprs Settings On My Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 / How Can I Set Up A Mini Cyber Cafe? / How Do I Set My Desktop Background? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Should I Set Up My Home Network by Cade(m): 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2006
How should I set up my home network for a laptop and a workstation using a USB cable.
I am an amateur.
Website llinks are most welcome.
Re: How Should I Set Up My Home Network by LoverBwoy(m): 3:18am On Aug 18, 2006
why dont u use a wireless laptop card, i think that will be better

Im an amateur aswell by the way
Re: How Should I Set Up My Home Network by sbucareer(f): 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2006

Why USB? USB is NEVER a good network peripheral. Some would say USB is not a network component.

Hardware, standard Universal Serial Bus. An external peripheral interface standard for communication between a computer and external peripherals over a cable using bi-serial transmission.[url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+USB]1[/url]

It replaces the old Serial and parallel ports on a PC because of their shortcomings. Because of converting data from serial to parallel, and error code bit correction and data degradation, USB was invented. Not only it is portable, it allow must faster data transfer with less errors.

But USB never made it into networking device components. Most serious network device still use serial and parallel port i.e. Switch, routers and the ,most popular network device, CISCO routers.

I will encourage you not to use USB as your network component. Always use RJ11, RJ45 etc. If you are considering connecting your laptop into your existing network, why cables? If you have money to buy laptop, buying a wireless PCMCIA NIC card would not brake your bank account.

If you already have a network, just configure the PCMCIA card and point the Gateway, and IP address of your router. If you router is configure with DHCP, you do not need to do anything.

On the other hand if you have not got a network, then these are the things you would need.

1. Router
2. RJ11 and RJ45
3. Hub
4. Broadband -  from your ISP
5. PC's and laptop

When buying PCMCIA and other NIC cards, make sure you buy from 100/1000TBase, anyway most of them come with high bandwidth channel. If you buy 10/100Tbase, when network changes (It will change, definitely) you would need to buy all these NIC cards and related equipments again to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.

Hub, is good because it makes your network topology behave like start topology, hence no single point of failure will bring down your entire network. You can even add more topology to your star topology, by bridging one of your star segment.

(1) (Reply)

How To Transfer Itunes Library Between Mac And Pc / Laptop Sale-hp Pavillion, Dv6700 Series / Vsat Internet Solution At Zero Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.