Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? (2129 Views)

'how To Answer The Question, "How Much Do We Pay You?"' / The Second Largest Employer Of Labour In Lagos State / If A Prospective Employer Sends This Kind Of Mail, What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by LaurelP(m): 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
As crazy as it might sound, its a reality dat most companies in Nigeria owe their employees a backlog of salaries.
They come up with various cock and bull stories on why they can't pay salaries for a particular month. Some even set up and sack their workers just to deny them their pay.
Some will just tell u dat there's no money to pay u while others will just keep quiet as if they forgot.

Most people are experiencing this issue but won't open up. We know how the legal system works in dis country, it favors the person with the bigger amount of money. If you decide to go thru police, I doubt if u will succeed becos Nigerian police...

So in a situation where ur employer refuses or fails to pay, how do u go abt it? Do u just walk away and leave ur entitlement?
Any body with such experiences shud also share how he or she reacted or resolved this problem.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by SafetyFirst(m): 4:43pm On Jan 06, 2015
hmmm
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by kachnov(m): 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2015
seek legal Action pending when you run out of patience.
There. are labor laws.
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by hardbody: 11:40am On Jan 07, 2015
You owe me, I lock you in the office and beat you up and I take my personal effects and leave after locking you in. Are you mad?
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 07, 2015
hardbody:
You owe me, I lock you in the office and beat you up and I take my personal effects and leave after locking you in. Are you mad?
Talk really is cheap cheesy

@op, Really can't say till I'm faced with such, I don't pray for that though. ...

1 Like

Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by juliebrown: 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2015
My broda am facing similar issue Presently, I work wit a Minning firm, Am been owed 13 month salary (A year n a month) my boss wil tel us dia is no money evn wen dia ar indicatn of avaliability of fund, he rather prefer spending on hotels lodgin, girls n sum unecessary foriegn trips. Dia is no kind of Plead i hav nt done bt yet no changes. I dnt knw wat to do. Any suggestion wil b appreciated.
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by hardbody: 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Talk really is cheap cheesy

@op, Really can't say till I'm faced with such, I don't pray for that though. ...

Talk is cheap abi? Try MTN when network is fluctuating. On a serious note though, you must find a way of not being owed by your company. I collect all my upfront payments including housing, leave, etc. If am owed for month's salary, I will still be better off net-net.

If you sue your employer, it is a terrible reference in your next employment. But if I am not going to reference my last employer, believe me, I will beat d living daylight out of my boss and quit.

If you doubt me, let's start with u .LOL

1 Like

Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by Jtayor(m): 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2015
Well, it is a hard and frustrating situation! Notwithstanding, commit it into God's hands. Prov. 21:1 says the king's heart is in the hand of God...
Note also that the battle is not yours but God's. God bless all. Hpy new year.

2 Likes

Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by LaurelP(m): 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
juliebrown:
My broda am facing similar issue Presently, I work wit a Minning firm, Am been owed 13 month salary (A year n a month) my boss wil tel us dia is no money evn wen dia ar indicatn of avaliability of fund, he rather prefer spending on hotels lodgin, girls n sum unecessary foriegn trips. Dia is no kind of Plead i hav nt done bt yet no changes. I dnt knw wat to do. Any suggestion wil b appreciated.

A year and a month
And you're still working there?

1 Like

Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by juliebrown: 12:43am On Jan 08, 2015
LaurelP:

A year and a month
And you're still working there?
Yes because I haven't gotten another
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 08, 2015
hardbody:

Talk is cheap abi? Try MTN when network is fluctuating. On a serious note though, you must find a way of not being owed by your company. I collect all my upfront payments including housing, leave, etc. If am owed for month's salary, I will still be better off net-net.

If you sue your employer, it is a terrible reference in your next employment. But if I am not going to reference my last employer, believe me, I will beat d living daylight out of my boss and quit.

If you doubt me, let's start with u .LOL
Very funny guy.. Your first and last lines are .. grin grin

Please don't strt with mua oo, not an employer for now cheesy......

But you gat to calm down, beating the employer won't bring your money... take things jeje jeje smiley smiley...
No employer will owe us though smiley smiley
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2015
juliebrown:
I don't understand how someone would work for a whole year without getting paid....a whole phucking year!! Your blood and sweat for a whole year not paid for?

Please no one should gimme that bullshit about how suing my previous employer would be bad for CV, I'm gonna take every legal action I can till they cough up my dough. angry
Re: What If Your Employer Refuses To Pay You? by LaurelP(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I don't understand how someone would work for a whole year without getting paid....a whole phucking year!! Your blood and sweat for a whole year not paid for?

Please no one should gimme that bullshit about how suing my previous employer would be bad for CV, I'm gonna take every legal action I can till they cough up my dough. angry

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows About The Concept Group / Project Brand Ambassador At Bincom Ict Solutions / Prudential Mortgage Bank Recruitment For Graduate Retail Banking Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.