Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,759 members, 7,837,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Who Is A True Disciple - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A True Disciple (886 Views)

How To Become A True Disciple Of Jesus Christ / Who Was The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved? / Core Requirements Of A True Disciple Of Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 3:11pm On Dec 16, 2008
WHO IS A DISCILPLE?

A disciple is a learner, one who follows another’s teachings. He is a not just a pupil, but an adherent and imitator of his teacher.

Mat 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus instructed the apostle to “make disciples”.

True discipleship is biblical Christianity ( Act 6:7)

Believers are referred to as disciples in the bible.

“Disciple” is another word for “Christian”

Disciple – follower of Christ

In otherwords, you are not a disciple / believer /Christian if your life doesn’t reflect the teachings and commandments of Christ as stated in his word.

Discipling  people is not teaching or encouraging them to depend on us. It is teaching people to depend on Christ. The call to salvation is a call to obedience. It is not mere lip service (or what we call altar call).

Matt 16:24

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

To be a true disciple, we have to deny self…,  take up our cross and follow Christ.

Identifying True Disciples

1) A true disciple / believer / Christian is one who followers truth on matter how hard.
2) He strictly lives by the word of  God
3) His allegiance is to Christ and not to the M. O.G.

Discipleship means commitment. It is an unconditional surrender to Christ.

Our lives should be in submission to him and it is our responsibility to study scriptures and live by them.

Peace
Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 10:33am On Aug 12, 2022
Still very true wink

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:41am On Aug 12, 2022
Many people out there will say the same thing yet Jesus said many false prophets will arise and mislead many {Matthew 24:11} so how can one be sure that his discipleship has not been misplaced following the blind guides? Matthew 15:14

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 10:45am On Aug 13, 2022
That’s why we have the word of God as our guide.

That is the believers’ manual.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2022
naomijt:
That’s why we have the word of God as our guide.

That is the believers’ manual.

If everyone can just pick up the Bible read and understand Jesus wouldn't have sent some out to go and teach others! Matthew 28:20

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 7:00pm On Aug 14, 2022
Are you saying it’s impossible for a believer to read and understand the Bible?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:25pm On Aug 14, 2022
naomijt:
Jesus PERSONALLY taught some people and ordered them to go and teach others {Matthew 28:19-20} he promised them saying:

“I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now. However, when that one comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come" John 16:12-13

So Christ's teaching is like a tradition that must be carried over from generation to generation.

Satan knew this will be hard to destabilize that's why the devil killed all the Apostles in the first century except John who penned down the last book (Revelations)

The system the world know today is not what Jesus established {Luke 18:8} but a century ago Jesus returned as a mighty spirit King to restructure his group, millions left false religion claiming denominations in Christendom {Revelations 18:4} and Jesus set the ball rolling again. You can only IDENTIFY Jesus' group today through the FRUIT expected of Christ's group. Matthew 7:16-18

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by achorladey: 8:13pm On Aug 14, 2022
naomijt:

Nice question.

I am just Looool to the lengthy response from MaxInDHouse up there grin grin grin grin grin

Bible verse below should help him

John wrote

I write you these things about those who are trying to mislead you. 27 And as for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but the anointing from him is teaching you about all things and is true and is no lie. Just as it has taught you, remain in union with him. 28 So now, little children, remain in union with him, so that when he is made manifest we may have freeness of speech+ and not shrink away from him in shame at his presence. 29 If you know that he is righteous, you also know that everyone who practices righteousness has been born from him.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by achorladey: 8:18pm On Aug 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

If everyone can just pick up the Bible read and understand Jesus wouldn't have sent some out to go and teach others! Matthew 28:20

Let's drum it to your ears according to the op. DISCIPLES DISCIPLES DISCIPLES not your IF EVERYONE CAN JUST PICK THE BIBLE AND READ

If ko eve ni grin grin grin grin grin grin

Don't redirect people's words in order to market and propagate non existent things.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 9:59am On Aug 15, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Jesus PERSONALLY taught some people and ordered them to go and teach others {Matthew 28:19-20} he promised them saying:

“I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now. However, when that one comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come" John 16:12-13

But you just answered yourself here. The people Jesus taught penned down epistles that have been canonized into the 66 books of the bible. We can read the bible and understand it through the help of the Holy Spirit. This does not mean that we do not have men God has gifted with the gift of teaching, but saying that believers cannot read and understand the bible is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 10:00am On Aug 15, 2022
achorladey:

Nice question.

I am just Looool to the lengthy response from MaxInDHouse up there grin grin grin grin grin

lol

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:09am On Aug 15, 2022
naomijt:

But you just answered yourself here. The people Jesus taught penned down epistles that have been canonized into the 66 books of the bible. We can read the bible and understand it through the help of the Holy Spirit. This does not mean that we do not have men God has gifted with the gift of teaching, but saying that believers cannot read and understand the bible is wrong.

The highlighted is where you got me wrong.

Most people thought by picking up the Bible to read they can understand it without someone to TEACH them. I'm not talking about the BELIEVER who already believe in how Jesus commissioned Christianity. Of course before you can become a BELIEVER you must have been TAUGHT by those sent out, they will pray with you before God's Holy Spirit will start to guide you not that someone just picking up the Bible and understanding it without being TAUGHT! smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Is A True Disciple by naomijt(f): 10:38am On Aug 15, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted is where you got me wrong.

Most people thought by picking up the Bible to read they can understand it without someone to TEACH them. I'm not talking about the BELIEVER who already believe in how Jesus commissioned Christianity. Of course before you can become a BELIEVER you must have been TAUGHT by those sent out, they will pray with you before God's Holy Spirit will start to guide you not that someone just picking up the Bible and understanding it without being TAUGHT! smiley

hmm... I think I get you.
Re: Who Is A True Disciple by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:00am On Aug 15, 2022
naomijt:

hmm... I think I get you.
Imagine a Muslim who picked up the Bible and was TAUGHT by his Islamic cleric what is written in the Bible. How do you think both of them can come to an accurate knowledge of God's word? undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Are They? / Man Fainted After Hearing Prophecy. / Christian Cafe Owner Threatened With Arrest For Displaying Bible Verses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.