Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,385 members, 7,815,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. (985 Views)

10 Disgraceful Habits Displayed By Nigerian Policemen In Public Places / 10 Bad Habits You Should Quit To Improve Your Life / Damaging Chat Habits Particular To Youths Of Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by SkinnyDude(m): 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2015
what are those bad habits you really want to stop?

mine are: Greediness, impatient and not being contented with what i have.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
SkinnyDude:
what are those bad habits you really want to stop?

mine are: Greediness, impatient and not being contented with what i have.
exactly my problem
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by SkinnyDude(m): 8:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
Osahon7:
exactly my problem
what are you doing about them?
how do they affect your life?
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Movesz(m): 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
Sss..self service before s£x
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 2:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
I'm glad I saw this topic. I hope those with solutions on how to drop these habits come. I have some habits I want to drop; impatience and a little bit of anger. I don't get violent or shout when I get angry, instead I sit quiet and just boil.

The thing is I intend to get angry too often and I want to stop it. Pls I need suggestions on how to curb these habits
CC

LordReed
Adesiji77
MizMycoli
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Adesiji77: 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2015
Godmother:
I'm glad I saw this topic. I hope those with solutions on how to drop these habits come. I have some habits I want to drop; impatience and a little bit of anger. I don't get violent or shout when I get angry, instead I sit quiet and just boil.

The thing is I intend to get angry too often and I want to stop it. Pls I need suggestions on how to curb these habits
CC

LordReed
Adesiji77
MizMycoli

You may the find the following useful:

ON ANGER

Dr. Redford B. Williams states in JAMA: “The simplistic advice, ‘when angry, let it out,’ is unlikely . . . to be of much help. Far more important is to learn how to evaluate your anger and then to manage it.” He suggests asking yourself: “(1) Is this situation important to me? (2) Are my thoughts and feelings appropriate to the objective facts? (3) Is this situation modifiable, so that I don’t have to have this anger?”

Proverbs 14:29; 29:11 “He that is slow to anger is abundant in discernment, but one that is impatient is exalting foolishness. All his spirit is what a stupid one lets out, but he that is wise keeps it calm to the last.”

Ephesians 4:26 “Be wrathful, and yet do not sin; let the sun not set with you in a provoked state.”

Frank Donovan, in his book Dealing With Anger—Self-Help Solutions for Men, recommends: “Escaping anger—or, more specifically, escaping the scene and other people in your angry episode—is a strategy which has special importance and value at the higher levels of anger.”

Proverbs 17:14 “The beginning of contention is as one letting out waters; so before the quarrel has burst forth, take your leave.”

Bertram Rothschild, writing in the journal The Humanist, states: “Anger . . . is primarily one’s personal responsibility. The reasons to become angry exist in our heads. . . . The few times anger worked for you pale in comparison to the multitude of times it made things worse. It is far better not to produce the anger than to experience it.”

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102002089?q=dealing+with+anger&p=par

ON IMPATIENCE

Consider the following recommendations.
Identify the causes:
The things or situations that make you impatient have been called impatience triggers. What triggers your impatience? Are there specific individuals who try your patience? Perhaps your mate, parents, or children are the principal impatience triggers in your life. Or are your triggers usually time related? For instance, are you likely to lose your patience when you have to wait for others or when you are running late? Do you lose your patience when you are tired, hungry, sleepy, or under some type of stress? Do you more often lose your patience at home or at work?

Simplify your life:
According to Professor Noreen Herzfeld, who teaches computer science at Saint John’s University, in Minnesota, U.S.A., “people really can’t multitask. The brain cannot concentrate on several things simultaneously.” She adds: “Over time, multitasking erodes our ability to pay focused, close attention, and this eventually eats away at traits such as patience, tenacity, judgment, and problem solving.”
It is difficult to cultivate patience when you are stressed from having too many things to do, too many places to be, and too many people to stay in touch with. Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, mentioned earlier in this series, warns: “Fundamentally, stress is the cause of much of our impatient reactions.”
So, “slow down and smell the roses,” as the old adage says. Make time to enjoy life. Make time to establish deep friendships with a few people, rather than pursuing shallow friendships with a huge network of people. Budget your time, and set your priorities wisely. Beware of time-wasting hobbies and gadgets.

Be realistic:
Have a realistic view of life. First of all, in real life, things do not always happen as fast as we wish. Accept the fact that time moves at the speed of time and not at the speed of your expectations. That is patience. Second, remember that you cannot always control your circumstances.

Instead of losing your patience over circumstances that are beyond your control, try to identify things that you can control. To illustrate, rather than getting angry over a delayed bus or train, try to find another way to get to your destination. Even walking might be better than giving in to impatience and anger. If waiting is the only option, use the time to do something productive, such as doing some meaningful reading or writing down your plans for future activities.

The reality of life is that it does little good to worry over things that you cannot control. The Bible aptly says: “None of you can add any time to your life by worrying about it.”—Luke 12:25, Holy Bible—Easy-to-Read Version.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102012444?q=impatience&p=par
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by LordReed(m): 7:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
Godmother:

CC

LordReed
Adesiji77
MizMycoli

Examine yourself, you may have lingering issues bothering you. Unresolved issues have a way of making us edgy and start affecting unrelated issues which is why we don't seem to know why we feel angry over stuff that we can usually deal with. Even impatience is tied to this sometimes. I try to visualise life as a series of compartments with each bit and relationship having its own compartment, it helps me separate issues like work from family, family from friends and friends from business. And it helps, I never bring the frustrations of office home and start reacting negatively towards my family. You can find a similar healthy coping mechanism, some people use sports, others like to unwind in solitude, find one that suits you and is not destructive.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 6:37am On Feb 25, 2015
@Adesiji77

Your post is packed and a lot of the wordings really got to my heart. But one that stood out for me was

" First of all, in real life, things do not always happen as fast as we wish. Accept the fact that time moves at the. speed of time and not at the speed of your expectations."

Thanks a lot for this. This saying I will post somewhere and meditate on regularly.

1 Like

Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 6:41am On Feb 25, 2015
@ LordReed

Once again I have seen wisdom in your advice to me. Years I have some unresolved issues and I guess my anger is stemming from there. A lot of these issues are being worked on though and I hope to have them settled soonest. Thanks for taking out the time to offer this advice.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by LordReed(m): 9:32am On Feb 25, 2015
Godmother:
@ LordReed

Once again I have seen wisdom in your advice to me. Years I have some unresolved issues and I guess my anger is stemming from there. A lot of these issues are being worked on though and I hope to have them settled soonest. Thanks for taking out the time to offer this advice.

Always my pleasure.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Adesiji77: 11:09am On Feb 25, 2015
Godmother:
@Adesiji77

Your post is packed and a lot of the wordings really got to my heart. But one that stood out for me was

" First of all, in real life, things do not always happen as fast as we wish. Accept the fact that time moves at the. speed of time and not at the speed of your expectations."

Thanks a lot for this. This saying I will post somewhere and meditate on regularly.

You are welcome smiley

However, the credit should go to the source of the information.

Cheers! wink
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by MizMyColi(f): 1:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hi Godmother smiley
I am really sorry about the late reply.

I think the posters above me have elucidated quite well on the matter.

I don't know much about your spirituality.
I'd like to ask you some questions which might sound totally off, but I believe can help.

Do let me know if you're up for it smiley
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 2:06pm On Feb 25, 2015
MizMyColi:
Hi Godmother smiley
I am really sorry about the late reply.

I think the posters above me have elucidated quite well on the matter.

I don't know much about your spirituality.
I'd like to ask you some questions which might sound totally off, but I believe can help.

Do let me know if you're up for it smiley

Sure you can. Pls go right ahead. If they are too personal though maybe u shud pm me grin

Also my spirituality is sound. I believe in God and have a personal relationship with Him.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by MizMyColi(f): 2:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
Godmother:

Sure you can. Pls go right ahead. If they are too personal though maybe u shud pm me grin

Also my spirituality is sound. I believe in God and have a personal relationship with Him.

Okay cool.

1. Do you think of God as someone who can be quite full of wrath sometimes and happy at other times?

2. Do you believe that God kills people at will? I mean for offences that even you who is not God could actually forgive others for.

3. Do you sometimes think that God must be really angry with you over a wrong that you've done?

4. Your Dad, what's your relationship with him like?

5. Are you the kind to bottle things up without processing and flushing them out of your being?

6. If I told you now that I know someone who is about to kill you with voodoo, what will be your reaction? If I told you to pray for that person this moment, declaring God's glory, light and love over them, would you? Sincerely?

7. Are you aware that anger and resentment are spirits which the enemy uses to keep us from reaching our maximum potentials?

8. Perhaps, is there anyone you think of and your bp rises or your heart thumps. Are you struggling in anyway to let go of hurts, you want to, but they just won't go.

9. What would give you the greatest fulfilment as you are now.

10. Among the unit of individuals closest to you, what is your greatest desire for them?

Pardon my 10 questions.
I think I'm taking this quite personal grin

If you're not comfy answering here, we could do this by email.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 4:08pm On Feb 25, 2015
1. Yes

2. No

3. Sure He gets angry but forgets when I ask for forgiveness.

4. Had a reasonably close relationship with him before his death.

5. I alternate, sometimes I bottle, sometimes I don't.

6. Hell no! If I were to pray for such a person sef its 'fall down and die prayer'.

7. Heard this b4 but somehow I don't believe it.

8. Yup. An ex
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 4:10pm On Feb 25, 2015
1. Yes

2. No

3. Sure He gets angry but forgets when I ask for forgiveness.

4. Had a reasonably close relationship with him before his death.

5. I alternate, sometimes I bottle, sometimes I don't.

6. Hell no! If I were to pray for such a person sef its 'fall down and die prayer'.

7. Heard this b4 but somehow I don't believe it.

8. Yup. An ex

9. Getting married to the love of my life and thriving in my biz.

10. Err... Don't understand this last question.

Cc MizMyColi
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by MizMyColi(f): 7:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
@Godmother Dear.
You're still on my mind.

I have to ensure all my faculties are settled, I don't wantu type jaga jagalysmiley

I will PM you because, part of the reply I've typed is somewhat personal.
Re: Those Bad Habits You Really Want To Stop. by Godmother(f): 9:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
MizMyColi:
@Godmother Dear.
You're still on my mind.

I have to ensure all my faculties are settled, I don't wantu type jaga jagalysmiley

I will PM you because, part of the reply I've typed is somewhat personal.

No wahala.
Thanks dearie. Appreciate and expecting the PM

(1) (Reply)

The Past Is Gone / Survived This Accident Without A Single Injury(photos) / 8 Slangs You Need To Survive On The Streets Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.