Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News (1552 Views)

6 Categories Of Mobile Network Customers. Where Do You Belong? / The Price Of 500MB Of Mobile Data In Nigeria & Across The World / How To Configure China Mobile Phones For Internet Browsing In All Nigerian Mobil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by Mustay(m): 1:53pm On Dec 17, 2008
by Loy Okezie, Lagos Nigeria

Mobile Web has become a global phenomenon. In Africa, more and more Internet users are acccessing the Web everyday via their mobile phones. In South Africa, there are now at least 9,5 million mobile wap users, according to an article in Bizcommunity published by Matthew Buckland.

While South Africa and Egypt lead the way for mobile Web adoption (see Admob Report - Sept. 2008), Nigeria’s mobile web penetration is gradually exploding and might soon replace the traditional web.

Lately, I’ve been following mobile web trends around Africa and I found that Opera’s State Of the Mobile Web Report for September 2008, indicates that traffic from Nigeria (for usage of Opera Mini), increased by 704.9% and page-view growth increased by 1690.2% since January 2008.

This means that there is a growing number of mobile internet users in Nigeria following mobile trends around the world with a focus on Africa. I also found that my.opera.com was ranked 6th amongst the top 10 sites by unique users from Nigeria. Thanks to Opera and Admob for these interesting reports.

In fact, according to Admob’s mobile metrics Report for September 2008, the worldwide traffic shows Nigeria on the 7th position in their top 20 list of countries, just below South Africa at 6th place (which is also in 6th position in Opera’s top 10 Opera Mini users worldwide).
Well, time will tell if this trend would be sustainable in the coming months. My guess is: It will.

Although Neilsen Online doesn’t display mobile web statistics for Nigeria, senior analyst, Kent Ferguson, said that 7.3 million Nigerians accessed the internet using mobile phones during Q2 and Q3
of 2008, while those using PCs drastically slumped to three percent within the same period.

This means that the landscape of mobile web penetration in Nigeria is exploding. In fact, when compared to PC-penetration rates, I think that mobile will be the major platform for the Web in the future, since mobile internet access is cheaper and easily accessible.

Besides, given the wider reach and high-penetration rates of mobile phones in Nigeria, and the seemingly expensive and low penetration of traditional internet access in Nigeria, more and more people would be connecting to the internet via their mobile phones in the nearest
future.

Further, the mobile web trend could surpass internet usage via PCs, as accessing the internet via mobile phones is faster, cheaper and much
easier. My guess is that, social networking sites would take advantage of this mobile web trend, and soon we might see mobile social networks
coming from Nigeria.

It would also be interesting to see smart mobile applications or platforms like Kenya’s Mpesa built with WAP technologies that allow
Nigerian mobile phone users to connect with people via mobile messaging services.
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by funybone(m): 2:17pm On Dec 17, 2008
Naaah good info: but first of all mustay where are u coming from
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by soki2ng(m): 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2008
funybone:

Naaah good info: but first of all mustay where are u coming from
Yo no go leave am, him go do research nah,

But seriously these findings are nothing to laugh about or even smile about, think the thing well. It means Nigeria Is going backward (not me) In terms of its presence on the internet oh. Don't tell me that mobile Crap, what can you achieve using a mobile? ehe? for me Only chat and download (for you too).

All the same we thank Opera and other factors that lead to the increase in mobile web usage. And who will now be blamed for the declining usage of PC? Service providers who have refused to understand the plight of the common man, or majoy competitors who have refused to come in and invest to stop this monopoly and give the so called big boys a run for their money?? Nough said. i no fit shout lipsrsealed
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by eliteweb(m): 7:30pm On Dec 17, 2008
Bravo Mustay! am glad we are moving forward.
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by sunnyman(m): 8:09pm On Dec 17, 2008
Free mobile phone browsing will soon make nigeria Number 1 on mobile web trend, may be by the end of 2009 (that is if it remains free till that time) And any thing that have begining must surely have and end. And the end of one thing will become the genesis of another one.
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by eliteweb(m): 8:31pm On Dec 17, 2008
@sunnyman wad up? where re u? i heard u reside in ma backyard Da Big Heart 4 Life
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by Mustay(m): 9:50am On Dec 18, 2008
sunnyman:

Free mobile phone browsing will soon make nigeria Number 1 on mobile web trend, may be by the end of 2009 (that is if it remains free till that time) And any thing that have begining must surely have and end. And the end of one thing will become the genesis of another one.

. . .exactly!

The "free" aspect is responsible for the increase.
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by fdigital(m): 5:21pm On Dec 18, 2008
sunnyman:

Free mobile phone browsing will soon make nigeria Number 1 on mobile web trend, may be by the end of 2009 (that is if it remains free till that time) And any thing that have begining must surely have and end. And the end of one thing will become the genesis of another one
now that that shows our country is gradually developing if curruption and fbt will everlet it be. [list][*]@mustay where have u been all this yL. anywell welcome bro but takam small small with us~ooh[/list]
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by blesdman(m): 7:54pm On Dec 19, 2008
great information. Let's watch it. And hope that the 'free' factor in our usage of mobile web continues-A good omen it really is.
Re: The Future Of Mobile Web Browsing In Nigeria: News by BayoMaya(m): 9:01pm On Dec 19, 2008
kool
but fb is naija's key

(1) (Reply)

2go Username / How Long Is It Advisable To Use A Phone / The Greatest Phone Of All Time Marks 15th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.