Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:08 AM

Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? (2965 Views)

A Look at Sam's Bug-Eyed Three-Wheeled, Two-Person Electric Vehicle / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / Car Door Key Tampered With Tech Says Change Central Lock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by cmpunk: 6:39pm On Jan 11, 2015
well, I have been experiencing for some time. But it intensified this harmattan period.

I googled and the result was interesting. here is a quoted search result.

" Why have I suddenly
started getting electric shocks
from my cars?
April 11, 2013 4:55 AM Subscribe
Every now and then, there will be a few
weeks when I get electric shocks as I'm
getting out of my cars. Normally they're just
a little surprising, but the last few weeks
I've been getting steadily stronger shocks
that actually hurt / tingle for a while
afterwards. What's going on?
So...
* this only happens to me, not my wife -
either as a driver or a passenger
* it doesn't seem to happen in other
people's cars (although I'm not a regular
passenger in other cars)
* I can avoid the shock if I take hold of the
car door before I put my foot on the
ground.
The normal answers I can find online
involve clothing rubbing on seat fabrics and
causing a static buildup. But I'm a geek
who always wears the same brand of
trainers and denim jeans, and who
considers owning 30 different colours of the
same brand of 100% cotton polo shirt to be
enough variation in fashion.
So, it can't be as simple as "your clothes
are rubbing on the car seat" or I'd always
get shocked.
What's happening, and is there anything
else I can do to stop these shocks?
It's unlikely it matters, but the two cars are
different sizes, ages and manufacturers
(diesel 407 Pug and petrol Toyota Corolla)
but I service both of them myself, so they
may not have had some little widget
replaced or dodad greased."

So. Has anyone experienced it..
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by ataller1: 6:45pm On Jan 11, 2015
Yes ooo! I experienced it so I thought maybe my mechanic has tempered with my battery or something so I come dey fear bt later told that harmattan dey cause am, so fear nt!

1 Like

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 11, 2015
I have experienced it countless times this dry season. its ticklish a bit,its not a heavy shock.
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by cmpunk: 7:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mod. Do the needful and let people be aware of this.
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by 9icetoo(m): 7:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
Lol. My younger bro felt the shock over the xmas and nearly took flight. He must have thought the village witches were after him. It is caused by static electricity build up i believe. How the circuit is completed for you to get the shock is what i don't understand.

3 Likes

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by Nobody: 2:55am On Jan 12, 2015
Its static electricity formed from friction when you walk. Its more apparent in harmattan because of the dry condition.

2 Likes

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by lonelydora: 8:28am On Jan 12, 2015
It's called static electricity. It increases during harmattan period due to the dryness of air.

Meanwhile, are you hairy?

Also, I hope all your car earth(ground) wires are properly connected?

1 Like

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by uncleu(m): 12:25am On Jan 13, 2015
Thanks OP for the information. I felt it yesterday and was so scared.

1 Like

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by Export1: 9:44am On Jan 13, 2015
Looks like it's really some static electricity. No need to be afraid. But checking the wires will be nice thing anyway.
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by chimah3(m): 11:22am On Jan 13, 2015
Thank you Lord! Tot I was going mad already..lol! Has happened to me a lot recently..especially When I get home n park 2 open up my gate..1ce my hand touches the outer part of the door..it shocks me! I'm so consious now..I make sure I only touch D inner part of the door..lol! Funniest was d last tym..after d door shocked me..I still got anoda shock once I toucheD the gate...Crazy yea!!!

1 Like

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by DaimlerBen(m): 12:11am On Jan 14, 2015
We go soon dey hang earth wire from moto to ground oh, make person no go enter filling station to buy petrol, come cause fire. This is the worst Harmattan in recent history!
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by premiumICT(m): 12:19am On Jan 14, 2015
Its not totally strange...Na so one man nearly run from ma office as him touch my sliding glass door to open, d tin shock 1 pint of blood comot from him body.... grin....its called static electricity just like d previous guys have said. it builds up and waits for any contact to discharge it. Sometimes even your curtains will give similar shocking experience. Harmattan at work. Nor fear anything....

5 Likes

Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by mikkyphp(m): 9:47am On Jan 14, 2015
Static Electricity. I have experienced this countless times this dry period.
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by Ricmayak1: 11:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
It is caused by static electricity as some have mentioned. However, if your vehicle has spark plug wires, check that they are not bad and discharging electricity to ground.
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by cmpunk: 9:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
Here we go again!
Re: Electric Shock From Car Door. Have You Experienced It? by redcliff: 1:40am On Dec 22, 2015
cmpunk:
Mod. Do the needful and let people be aware of this.

aware of what?

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2015 - Is It A Nice Car To Buy? / Range Rover / Why Is The Engine Fan Connected Direct To The Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.