Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Top5 Strange Names In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top5 Strange Names In Igboland (1417 Views)

Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. / MY EXPERIENCE AT A BURIAL CEREMONY IN IGBOLAND!!! / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2015
In Igboland, there are weird, funny, strange names that are being given by our fellow igbo people, some when heard, sounds funny that one can't wait to boast into laughter (only if you know the meaning o) below is my top5 strange names in Igboland and its English meaning for Non-Igbos.

#5 Ezeiyi = Sea god

#4 Ifegwu = Horror

#3 Ochouba = Wealth Seeker

#2 Ogbu = Killer

#1 Chukwu = god

Top5Everything
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by joebases(m): 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
And what's funny about these nams?
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:00pm On Jan 13, 2015
How is Chukwu funy?

1 Like

Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2015
joebases:
And what's funny about these nams?
did i say the names are funny? check topic of the post again
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by pazienza(m): 8:02am On Jan 14, 2015
Nobody answers Chukwu in Igboland. Chukwu is simply an abridged version of a long list of names, eg, Chukwuegbo,Chukwungene,Chukwuenweniwe,Chukwuobi, etc. Just ask the person with a "Chukwu" name,and he would tell u the full name.
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 14, 2015
pazienza:
Nobody answers Chukwu in Igboland. Chukwu is simply an abridged version of a long list of names, eg, Chukwuegbo,Chukwungene,Chukwuenweniwe,Chukwuobi, etc. Just ask the person with a "Chukwu" name,and he would tell u the full name.
Bros stop saying what u don't know, infact the names mentioned above are names answered by only one tribe in igboland, the Abiribians in Abia state, did u think that I just woke up in the morning and start writing what I don't know?
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by pazienza(m): 9:41am On Jan 14, 2015
tonyayo1:

Bros stop saying what u don't know, infact the names mentioned above are names answered by only one tribe in igboland, the Abiribians in Abia state, did u think that I just woke up in the morning and start writing what I don't know?

I have friends from Bende/Ohafia/Aro area,having resided in Aba for years, and i can tell you again that nobody gives a child the name "Chukwu" in Igboland.

People simply abridge their names, usually surnames to "Chukwu" for simplicity sake. Ask them and they would give you the full version of the name.

This scenario is common in all parts of Igboland, Christian Chukwu, the footballer is from Enugu state.
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 14, 2015
pazienza:

I have friends from Bende/Ohafia/Aro area,having resided in Aba for years, and i can tell you again that nobody gives a child the name "Chukwu" in Igboland.

People simply abridge their names, usually surnames to "Chukwu" for simplicity sake. Ask them and they would give you the full version of the name.

This scenario is common in all parts of Igboland, Christian Chukwu, the footballer is from Enugu state.
Bros, I understand u, let's just cut the story short, if you have an Abiriba friend, ask him about the name 'chukwu,' I'm an Aba resident, born and bred, I grew up with Abiribans, I can hear their language from AtoZ. So I'm not mistaken, I thought you'll say u're an Abiriban, cos it would have sounded weird to me. Only Abiribans ans Ogbu(killer), but for other tribes, it's a short way of calling their complete names, like Ogbu for Ogbuawa etc
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by pazienza(m): 1:33pm On Jan 14, 2015
tonyayo1:

Bros, I understand u, let's just cut the story short, if you have an Abiriba friend, ask him about the name 'chukwu,' I'm an Aba resident, born and bred, I grew up with Abiribans, I can hear their language from AtoZ. So I'm not mistaken, I thought you'll say u're an Abiriban, cos it would have sounded weird to me. Only Abiribans ans Ogbu(killer), but for other tribes, it's a short way of calling their complete names, like Ogbu for Ogbuawa etc

I personally know an Ogbuu(Killer) from Ihitena asaa, in Imo state, Ogbuu as a name is not perculiar to Abriba people, it's found in all parts of Igboland.

Believe me, Chukwu means God in Igbo and not god. No man can be named God in Igboland
Re: Top5 Strange Names In Igboland by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
pazienza:

I personally know an Ogbuu(Killer) from Ihitena asaa, in Imo state, Ogbuu as a name is not perculiar to Abriba people, it's found in all parts of Igboland.

Believe me, Chukwu means God in Igbo and not god. No man can be named God in Igboland
Even if we continue arguing from morning to night, no one will ever win cos it's the internet. Like I said, look for an abiriban and ask him/her, then get back to asap.

(1) (Reply)

Limitations Of Infidelity Deities / 50 Reasons Why Yoruba Never Had An Empire But Civilized By Benin / m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.