Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,622 members, 7,827,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? (15877 Views)

Please What Is Wrong With 02tvseries.net / 32 Brilliant Illustrations That Show What’s Wrong With Society Today / What Is Wrong With This Christmas Tree? (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by leonard509(m): 9:58pm On Jan 14, 2015
pls I need a polite answer to this .
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by naturally: 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
Nothing o. Just naija mentality.

Maybe cos red is colour of blood grin
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by todayguest(m): 10:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
Cus you're alive. It's only used for the dead.
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by saaedlee: 10:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
It is common superstition that if someone’s name is written in red, then death or bad luck will come to that person very soon.

There are a few reasons why people believe this terrible myth. In many countries, red is typically associated with death (as black is associated with death in western countries). First, blood is red in color, so red ink from a pen resembles blood and generally the appearance of blood is a sign of pain and death. Secondly, when someone dies, his or her name is recorded in the family register and on funeral banners in red ink(not in Nigeria tho). It’s believed that this practice wards off evil spirits. When the name of a living person is written in red, however, the reverse effect occurs, so only the names of the deceased are written in red.

The only time that red ink is considered permissible is when used with a chop, a name stamp or used to score examination. These are often used in lieu of signatures in many countries. The red stamp also makes a document official. Red is also used on Diplomats Passports, used on plate numbers to indicate commercial vehicle . Thankfully, no death comes from this use of red ink!

It’s wise for foreigners in any country to adhere to the proper use of red ink, so if you want to respect this superstition, remember these rules for using red ink:

1. Feel free to write using a red pen. Writing in red is permissible only if a living person’s name is not mentioned.

2. It’s okay to use red ink with a seal or stamp to make a document official.

3. Do not write a living person’s name in red ink. Teachers should not write their students’ names with a red pen. When giving a gift, it’s considered rude to write the person’s name on the card in red ink.

4. Writing a threatening letter to someone in red is acceptable, but it’s not recommended. Writing a threatening letter and using a red pen to do so? Now that would be offensive on both accounts!

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by ambassadorgozie(m): 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2015
I flogged one of my students for writing his name wit red pen...BT seriously I don't know why is wrong
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by BokoHaramm: 10:35pm On Jan 14, 2015
It connotes bad omen. Op try and write your name with red ink and if nothing bad happens to you in 2015 then by 2016 I will lead the chage for everyone to write their name with red ink.
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by Mimienudles(f): 10:35pm On Jan 14, 2015
I really do not understand the question and answer, I no just understand
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by demelza: 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2015
ambassadorgozie:
I flogged one of my students for writing his name wit red pen...BT seriously I don't know why is wrong
Can you see yourself? undecided

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by agohmamuda(m): 10:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
Mimienudles:
I really do not understand the question and answer, I no just understand

I'll help you.
D o.p dey ask why ee no good to write persin name with red biro?? People con begin talk say because ee no good, say na person weh don die dem dey use red biro take wriite eim name. Some talk say if u use red biro write person name, d person go die. If u can understand these then I'll complete the translation for you.
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by Mimienudles(f): 11:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
agohmamuda:

I'll help you.
D o.p dey ask why ee no good to write persin name with red biro?? People con begin talk say because ee no good, say na person weh don die dem dey use red biro take wriite eim name. Some talk say if u use red biro write person name, d person go die. If u can understand these then I'll complete the translation for you.
When I was in high school, our names were all written with a red pen in our class teacher's register. It just confusing seeing it isn't right but thanks anyways tho Pigin wasn't very necessary
Re: What's Wrong With Writing One's Name With Red Ink? ?? by agohmamuda(m): 11:17pm On Jan 14, 2015
Mimienudles:
When I was in high school, our names were all written with a red pen in our class teacher's register. It just confusing seeing it isn't right but thanks anyways tho Pigin wasn't very necessary

My bad. Nòn ést factum. I understand ur Bewilderment. I believe u have been elucidated and no longer in a state of quandary.

(1) (Reply)

Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers / How To Spot A Nigerian Girl Abroad / Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.