Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

The 10 Million Naira Dream - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The 10 Million Naira Dream (813 Views)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / 3 To 10 Million Naira For Nigerian Youth To Start Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Million Naira Dream by ayandee: 3:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
As I was preparing for work one morning, I suddenly realised I had run out of sugar for the morning tea. I quickly dashed out to Mama Iyabo's shop, a small provision store down the street. The shop is a sort of succour in emergency situations such as this, not only to me but to other residents of the street. As dingy as it is, that shop has basic daily needs and is the home of Mama Iyabo, her husband and children. It opens as early as 5.00 am and closes as late as 12.00 midnight.

So on this fateful morning, I met the family outside the shop. After the usual "E karo" greetings, I requested for sugar. While waiting I suddenly overheard Baba Iyabo saying to himself, "I wish I had the sum of10 Million Naira now". That statement caught me off-guard. Then I probed, "Baba, what would you do with the money?". He replied "I will simply pack my things and head back to the village. I'm tired". I felt for him and wished I could tell him that money does not fall from the skies. I wish I could remind him of the popular saying that "He who counts money in his sleep should wake up and work harder to avert imminent hunger".

Story had it that he once worked in one of those defunct old generation banks in the '80s and commanded a lot of respect as he was financially buoyant at the time. He lived extravagantly lavishing money on women, throwing needless parties and lending money to people indiscriminately. Now he is in mid-fifties totally broke and living on his wife's meagre earnings.

That incident drew me into a realm of sober reflection and I believe it should also strike a chord in anyone who is serious about the future. In about 20 years I would be as old as Baba Iyabo. I don't want to end up like him. Though I do not throw needless parties or dress extravagantly, I believe there are aspects of spending I need to control.

Here's how you can maximise your resources this year for a secured future.

1. SAVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN

The importance of saving can not be overemphasised. No matter how meagre your earnings or salary, you must create a savings window. The best way to save is to deduct your savings at source just as your employer deducts your taxes and cooperative dues even before you receive an alert. Your employer is oblivious of the fact that you have pressing needs and would make necessary deductions even without recourse to you. If you do not trust your ability to save as soon as you earn, talk to your bank. You can give your bank a mandate to deduct a certain sum of money each month to be credited into an another account with no withdrawal accessories like the ATM card.

2. CREATE ANOTHER STREAM OF INCOME

Just as it is important to save, it is equally important to create another stream of income. If your regular job is not so time consuming, you can think of other kinds of business you can engage in. However, I must sound a note of warning: NEVER ENGAGE IN ANY BUSINESS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, NO MATTER THE PROMISE OF RETURN. If it would involve another person managing the business for you and you'll only be a financier, do not venture. I'm talking from experience. In the alternative, you can consider investing in treasury bills, stocks, and real estate. The returns may not be huge but your saving is considerably safe. Consult professionals in this field for advice.

3. CUT BACK ON SPENDING

Someone once said "if you buy what you do not need today, you will borrow to buy what you need tomorrow". We are in an age where money is easily spent. On your computer screen, there are numerous ads from different online stores urging you to buy items you already own. They've made it so easy that payment can be made at the click of your mouse. Don't be carried away by an item's appeal. The message is this: IF YOU DO NOT NEED IT, DO NOT BUY IT. Also don't be shy to say no to friends and relations who come for financial aid especially when you strongly believe that the demand is frivolous. Show genuine concern by helping them explore alternative ways of solving their financial problems. Money is not the answer to all man's problems.

2015 is just beginning. You can make the necessary adjustments for a successful financial year. I strongly recommend the book "Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clason. For more interesting articles, visit www.bookstomydoor.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The 10 Million Naira Dream by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2015
Just what I needed smiley
Re: The 10 Million Naira Dream by egopersonified(f): 2:03pm On Mar 04, 2015
ayandee kiss
Re: The 10 Million Naira Dream by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 05, 2015
Thanks for these insightful pieces of advice.
Re: The 10 Million Naira Dream by magboro: 5:04pm On Sep 04, 2015
Uhm rightly said

(1) (Reply)

Please Is It Possible To Change Over To Medicine From Radiography After 200L / From Chemistry/industrial Chemistry To Chemical Engineering / Who Knows Anything About Us Labor Assistance Committee & Tourism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.