Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,219 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? (1330 Views)

Mane, Koulibaly Named In Senegal's 2017 AFCON Squad / Algerian National Team Arrives Uyo For World Cup Qualifier (Photos) / AFCON Qualifiers: Mancity Writes About Iheanacho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by Chartey(m): 9:11am On Jan 18, 2015
Most of their players are French-born despite their league having some of the best African clubs. Why can't they just be like Egypt?
Interesting discussion here
http://discussions.ghanaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170229&sid=f6b95e100caa2ff577c77189b9d1f15d

I think this is a lazy approach to national team improvement by African FAs. It will be injustice for them to win the tournament and defeat the whole purpose of the tournament. National teams should rather work towards domestic league players dominating the national teams. Won't it just be nicer if most of the Super Eagles superstars play in a much improved NPFL than having a squad filled with players born and bred outside Nigeria.
Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by elnino3(m): 10:10am On Jan 18, 2015
If I get you correctly... It's OK for France to field Algerians but it's not OK for Algeria to field French players?

7 Likes

Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by khattab02: 11:21am On Jan 18, 2015
elnino3:
If I get you correctly... It's OK for France to field Algerians but it's not OK for Algeria to field French players?
thank you sir!

3 Likes

Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by khattab02: 11:38am On Jan 18, 2015
How many African countries have the bulk of their National team playing in the local league? Very few.

The idea to improve national teams via home grown isn't bad, infact it is great but that shoudn't stop those born and grown in abroad not to rep their fatherland.

Moreover other smaller African countries are now having professionals abroad and are now competing well with the big guys such Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory coast, cameroun etc.

Senegal has more Premiere league regulars than Nigeria and Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by Chartey(m): 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2015
elnino3:
France doesn't field Algerian players. France may field players of Algerian origin but they've been developed using French football resources.
Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by Chartey(m): 4:16pm On Jan 18, 2015
khattab02:
How many African countries have the bulk of their National team playing in the local league? Very few.

The idea to improve national teams via home grown isn't bad, infact it is great but that shoudn't stop those born and grown in abroad not to rep their fatherland.

Moreover other smaller African countries are now having professionals abroad and are now competing well with the big guys such Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory coast, cameroun etc.

Senegal has more Premiere league regulars than Nigeria and Ghana.
It's not about players playing in the domestic league. That will be the ideal situation but that's not what I meant. I'm talking about players born and bred in France.

I mean what message is being sent to players who grow up on the streets of Algeria and start their careers with say JS Kabylie? Why must 16 players in a 23-man squad be French born?

My issue is not having professionals abroad. It's about Ghana for instance having 16 Kevin-Prince Boatengs in their squad. There will be no chance for the Badus, Acquahs, Asamoahs, etc. That will not make sense at all but that's what Algeria has done.
Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 21, 2015
Chartey:
Most of their players are French-born despite their league having some of the best African clubs. Why can't they just be like Egypt?
Interesting discussion here
http://discussions.ghanaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170229&sid=f6b95e100caa2ff577c77189b9d1f15d

I think this is a lazy approach to national team improvement by African FAs. It will be injustice for them to win the tournament and defeat the whole purpose of the tournament. National teams should rather work towards domestic league players dominating the national teams. Won't it just be nicer if most of the Super Eagles superstars play in a much improved NPFL than having a squad filled with players born and bred outside Nigeria.

Well....most of those players are graduates of Clairefontaine.....the French Football Association's (FFF) premier training ground...which over the years has been too sucessful turning out legions of great French players of all nationalaites.So...many of them willnever play for France....hence the decision to play for their parent's countries(which is a good idea BTW).

Still....African FA's need their own Clairefontaines....
Re: Is The Algerian Afcon Squad African? by Chartey(m): 10:03pm On Sep 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Well....most of those players are graduates of Clairefontaine.....the French Football Association's (FFF) premier training ground...which over the years has been too sucessful turning out legions of great French players of all nationalaites.So...many of them willnever play for France....hence the decision to play for their parent's countries(which is a good idea BTW).

Still....African FA's need their own Clairefontaines....
Rationalises it to some extent.

(1) (Reply)

African Player,spotted With Black Magic During A Nations Cups Match.see Photo / Sure Bet Pick / Sanchez Vs Hazard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.