Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses (1412 Views)

Turkish Cargo Plane Crashes In Kyrgyzstan Killing 37 People - Graphic Photos / Indonesian Military Transport Plane Crashes In Medan Area Killing Dozens / TransAsia Plane Crashes Into River In Taiwan, Killing At Least 12 (2) (3) (4)

Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 18, 2015
One time I was on a DHC Dash-8, a turboprop, to some location like that. The plane was full and as we took off I don't think anyone expected any drama. It's a routine flight after all.
Suddenly we started seeing smoke from engine no 1. Damn! The fan was slowing down and from all indications the engine was out. And this plane had taken off and was leveling. See wahala!
Only we on the left saw it. Those on the right saw nothing. We called the attention of the flight attendant to it and she took a peek from a nearby window before hurrying away. I think the pilots must have seen it too, cos shortly an announcement came over the radio and they said they'd be turning back to the airport.
See drama in the airplane. Turning wetin this is where you'll know even oyinbo people dey fear like craze. Some however tried to keep calm. I guess those are the ones who gave always expected to die in a place crash grin
Anyways, i love airplanes and have seen a lot of airplane dramas in documentaries. I knew quite well the plane could fly on one engine, but even that knowledge wasn't exactly comforting at this trying time. The pilot managed the situation well, turned the aircraft (you'd hardly notice) and proceeded back to the airport.

We made a safe landing, switched planes and went back in air again. So much for a near miss.

Sometimes, i think. If the two engines had failed, that plane would have turned a glider that may have very well crashed into the dense neighborhood below and we'll all be history.

Anyways, who wants to talk plane dramas. Anyone had similar or worse experiences?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 18, 2015
Near miss at Barcelona airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZYIcTwTOA

Reminds me of the on-ground collision at one of the canary islands between a Pan Am plane and a KLM. Not good at all.

You can watch documentary here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiV9ZH7QiLA
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 6:14pm On Jan 18, 2015
goofyone:

Reminds me of the on-ground collision at one of the canary islands between a Pan Am plane and a KLM. Not good at all.

you also a fan of air miss right? What about air crash investigations
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
tdayof:
you also a fan of air miss right? What about air crash investigations
Oh, I love aircrash investigation. I've probably seen all the episodes.
You love the Canadian series too?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 7:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
goofyone:

Oh, I love aircrash investigation. I've probably seen all the episodes.
You love the Canadian series too?
same here

@the Canadian series I don't know that.
Any link/
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 18, 2015
tdayof:
same here

@the Canadian series I don't know that.
Any link/
Aircrash investigation is a Canadian series.
Which was your favorite episode? And why the fascination?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 11:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
goofyone:

Aircrash investigation is a Canadian series.
Which was your favorite episode? And why the fascination?
dhl against the Russian students! Am an aviation lover have more interest in military planes!
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 18, 2015
tdayof:
dhl against the Russian students! Am an aviation lover have more interest in military planes!
That one was sad. The father killing the ATC was not justified sha. Easily avoidable accident, if all the odds were not stacked against the ATC.

Do you fly these planes? Which military planes do you have interest in?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by LordReed(m): 11:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
goofyone:

I saw the documentary on DSTV it was a harrowing experience for the survivors.
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2015
LordReed:

I saw the documentary on DSTV it was a harrowing experience for the survivors.
Harrowing? Even worse. Harrowing is an understatement.
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 12:01am On Jan 19, 2015
goofyone:

That one was sad. The father killing the ATC was not justified sha. Easily avoidable accident, if all the odds were not stacked against the ATC.

Do you fly these planes? Which military planes do you have interest in?
no but I play some simulators! I love f-22 and this mc Douglas
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2015
goofyone:
One time I was on a DHC Dash-8, a turboprop, to some location like that. The plane was full and as we took off I don't think anyone expected any drama. It's a routine flight after all.
Suddenly we started seeing smoke from engine no 1. Damn! The fan was slowing down and from all indications the engine was out. And this plane had taken off and was leveling. See wahala!
Only we on the left saw it. Those on the right saw nothing. We called the attention of the flight attendant to it and she took a peek from a nearby window before hurrying away. I think the pilots must have seen it too, cos shortly an announcement came over the radio and they said they'd be turning back to the airport.
See drama in the airplane. Turning wetin this is where you'll know even oyinbo people dey fear like craze. Some however tried to keep calm. I guess those are the ones who gave always expected to die in a place crash grin
Anyways, i love airplanes and have seen a lot of airplane dramas in documentaries. I knew quite well the plane could fly on one engine, but even that knowledge wasn't exactly comforting at this trying time. The pilot managed the situation well, turned the aircraft (you'd hardly notice) and proceeded back to the airport.

We made a safe landing, switched planes and went back in air again. So much for a near miss.

Sometimes, i think. If the two engines had failed, that plane would have turned a glider that may have very well crashed into the dense neighborhood below and we'll all be history.

Anyways, who wants to talk plane dramas. Anyone had similar or worse experiences?
what of air crash confidential?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
tdayof:
no but I play some simulators! I love f-22 and this mc Douglas
Now that sounds fun. I'm not so into military jets sha. Just the regular commerical airliners. I also like to research the aircrafts i fly in.
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 19, 2015
tdayof:
Most def. They take on general cases. Aircrash investigation takes on specific cases.
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
tdayof:
seconds from disaster?
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 5:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
goofyone:

Now that sounds fun. I'm not so into military jets sha. Just the regular commerical airliners. I also like to research the aircrafts i fly in.
haven't been to the airport before sef embarassed
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
tdayof:
haven't been to the airport before sef embarassed
Are you kidding? With your love for aircrafts, you should soon
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by tdayof(m): 5:46pm On Jan 19, 2015
goofyone:

Are you kidding? With your love for aircrafts, you should soon
yea sure soon am going for degree in aeronautical engineering sef
Re: Plane Crashes, Drama And Near-misses by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 19, 2015
tdayof:
yea sure soon am going for degree in aeronautical engineering sef
That's a good one

Guide To Study In Russia / Eastern Island To Demand Return Of Statue Taken To U.K. 150-years-ago(photos) / Should I Travel Abroad For A Better Life Or Get Married And Settle Down in 9ja?