Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT (2263 Views)

The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. / "I Wore This To School & My Lecturer Called Me A Tout" - Lady (photo) / Pls Why Do Several People Misuse This Word "Tout"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2015
Due to the common Misuse of the word "TOUT", I feel a profound desire to share this piece of information with you. According to any dictionary you can lay your hands on, just look up the word TOUT and you will get this results :"1.a person who buys up tickets for an event to
resell them at a profit.
2. a person who offers racing tips for a share of
any resulting winnings.
3. an informer."
People mistake the meaning of this word for "hooligans" while in the right sense., the correct word is LOUT which means "1. An uncouth or aggressive man or boy. 2.A rude, violent man. 3. A troublemaker"
Another substitute for the word lout is YOB.
In conclusion, TOUT is not a word for qualifying acts of hooliganism but LOUT and YOB is the right word.
I hope I made my point.

6 Likes

Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by demelza: 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2015
Yes you have.
I just learned something new.
Thank you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by yorex2011: 8:59pm On Jan 18, 2015
Wow... I didin know. grin
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by sirmarry(m): 9:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
Tnx 4 sharing...jst learnt smthn new

1 Like

Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by AfricanApple(f): 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2015
smiley smiley
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by ijobaooorun(m): 9:14pm On Jan 18, 2015
ℓ̊ schooled I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ spain though... undecided undecided undecided

So Itz nt new to me grin angry
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by mdokaba1(m): 9:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
Wow!! Thanks for the correction. Nigerians learnt it from NOLLYWOOD, coz its always refered to as TOUT.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2015
demelza:
Yes you have.
Thank you. smiley

You are welcome
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2015
mdokaba1:
Wow!! Thanks for the correction. Nigerians learnt it from NOLLYWOOD, coz its always refered to as TOUT.
Yes.... That's one of the greatest mistakes our artistes make.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by tosyne2much(m): 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
OP, thanks ooooo.. May God bless you
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
my dictionary defines tout as someone advertising for customers in an aggressive way I guess that's why it's used as a synonym for the word hooligan
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by njeph: 7:26pm On Jan 19, 2015
Lartoph:

In conclusion, TOUT is not a word for qualifying acts of hooliganism but LOUT and YOB is grin the right word grin.
I hope I made my point.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 7:24am On Jan 20, 2015
tosyne2much:
OP, thanks ooooo.. May God bless you
Amen..... And you too Bro.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 7:25am On Jan 20, 2015
AdeeAkuna:
my dictionary defines tout as someone advertising for customers in an aggressive way I guess that's why it's used as a synonym for the word hooligan
Yes.... That's correct but Touts don't sell goods or anything.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2015
demelza:
Yes you have.
Thank you. smiley
You are welcome..... Thanks to you too.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Bestlily(f): 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Just learnt somfin new...thanks O.P
Can yhu see dat LOUT??LOL...
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by sagaciousblog: 12:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
Hmmm! I learnt mine from those PDP E-Vanguard who are always fond of saying APC touts...but thanks for the correction Op.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 2:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
Bestlily:
Just learnt somfin new...thanks O.P
Can yhu see dat LOUT??LOL...
Funny..... but true
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Harry3: 2:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
Am are stil correct, i dont knw abt others. Like u said, Tout means someone advertisin sometin aggressively, so weneva i say that APC supporters are touts, am stil very correct cus they advertise Buhari in aggressive ways like chelsea fans as someone rightly said that APC supporters are like chelsea fans...TOUTS!!
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2015
Harry3:
Am are stil correct, i dont knw abt others. Like u said, Tout means someone advertisin sometin aggressively, so weneva i say that APC supporters are touts, am stil very correct cus they advertise Buhari in aggressive ways like chelsea fans as someone rightly said that APC supporters are like chelsea fans...TOUTS!!
Lol..... I don't want to be caught in political net.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Nobody: 8:54am On Jan 21, 2015
kinda, see this is exactly why I prefer my local English to the European or american English, one word can mean a thousand things
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Saucekide25(m): 10:05am On Jan 21, 2015
I hail from the US and can tell you we are profound with such... Run along,nothing New here.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Bestlily(f): 10:20pm On Jan 21, 2015
Lartoph:

Funny..... but true
yeah yeah
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 6:39am On Jan 22, 2015
Saucekide25:
I hail from the US and can tell you we are profound with such... Run along,nothing New here.
OK... That's good
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 6:40am On Jan 22, 2015
AdeeAkuna:
kinda, see this is exactly why I prefer my local English to the European or american English, one word can mean a thousand things
I totally agree with you, but we can't use the local English as our official language na
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 22, 2015
true
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Emodeee: 1:33am On Jan 23, 2015
Nw, the op is feeling fly like he invented the word.
Re: Dear Nairalanders:misuse Of The Word "TOUT", It Is LOUT Not TOUT by Lartoph(m): 6:51am On Jan 23, 2015
Emodeee:
Nw, the op is feeling fly like he invented the word.
You really have a funny way of thinking...
. Lol..... Why would I think I invented it smiley?

(1) (Reply)

Bangkok University Introduce Anti - Examination Malpractice Helmet - (pics) / 30 Weird Song Titles That Will Surprise You / Letter To Old Class Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.