Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214286 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:43pm On Jan 21, 2015
I booked for an 18 seater bus. I took a stick to measure the dimension of the bus. I was able to estimate the no of tomato basket it will take.
Another issue crop up.
Did i have enough tomato to fill the bus?
Another capital NO.
What do i do?
I told my manager ' please discuss with the other tomato farmers(even though they have different varieties) if they will allow me to take theirs along with mine to the market.
He came back to give me price
Guess what?
The price has increase to N800.
Unbelievable but yes.
Okay I will give them N600 per basket.
With pleading, argument and whatever, they eventually agreed.
So begins my tomato journey to Lagos

8 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by felixzo1(m): 3:48pm On Jan 21, 2015
i am planing on planting ugu and tomatoes only ,dry season farming, whats your take on dry season farming and profitability compared to raining season

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:49pm On Jan 21, 2015
Basket issue: I took farmers baaket to Lagos. It was in Lagos i learnt you sell tomatoes with basket.
So my extra expenses is paying for farmers basket because they will not hear that story.
How i solve my basket palaver will be left for another day

6 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:55pm On Jan 21, 2015
felixzo1:
i am planing on planting ugu and tomatoes only ,dry season farming, whats your take on dry season farming and profitability compared to raining season
Dry season farming is the best provided you have water and can maintain the farm. However do your marketing well. Visit several market not just one. Get their rules and whatever. There is no profit in planting and not been able to sell.
Market women patronize your farm to rip you off. Learn to dominate and dictate the market. It requires a lot of work

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by panzaar(m): 3:58pm On Jan 21, 2015
With great passion, I followed your thread and I must say that its quite interesting.

As a businessman and by experience, I have a strong conviction that the vegetable or tomato cartel in the open market such as mile 12 can be broken by bypassing these big markets and creating a network of small markets in cities across southern Nigeria especially Lagos by lowering prices slightly in the short run.

This creation of a network of small open markets must come from the concerted effort of dynamic and passionate young agribusiness men and women. A good example of this small open market exist at Iyana Iba bus stop along the Badagry express way in Lagos where assorted vegetables are sold every saturday from as early as 6am. Most of these sellers and farmers sell produce from nearby small farms and from Badagry. The vegetables sold in this market are of very good quality and very affordable.

I must also say that I'm very much interested in tomatoe farming especially after the training you delivered at Ogbomoso under YABDI.

Keep up the good work.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:01pm On Jan 21, 2015
I am writting my experience on tomatoes production and marketing for people to see that it takes a lot of work. The internets calculations and returns could only be achieve with hard work.
There are lot of underground work and things to be put in place.
Agriculture is profitable when one learns the rope. I hope some people will not just see stories but use this as practical solution to move their dreams

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 5:16pm On Jan 21, 2015
panzaar:
With great passion, I followed your thread and I must say that its quite interesting.

As a businessman and by experience, I have a strong conviction that the vegetable or tomato cartel in the open market such as mile 12 can be broken by bypassing these big markets and creating a network of small markets in cities across southern Nigeria especially Lagos by lowering prices slightly in the short run.

This creation of a network of small open markets must come from the concerted effort of dynamic and passionate young agribusiness men and women. A good example of this small open market exist at Iyana Iba bus stop along the Badagry express way in Lagos where assorted vegetables are sold every saturday from as early as 6am. Most of these sellers and farmers sell produce from nearby small farms and from Badagry. The vegetables sold in this market are of very good quality and very affordable.

I must also say that I'm very much interested in tomatoe farming especially after the training you delivered at Ogbomoso under YABDI.

Keep up the good work.

Good point! We need to break that cartel! It won't be easy but it is doable! I am already working out a model scheduled for launch later in the year. We have to find a way to remove the inefficiency in the chain and return higher value for end users and farmers. The cartel don't care to innovate and just want to collect their share today!

I just don't understand why in Nigeria of 2015, tomatoes are still being sold in baskets and half of it rot or damage on the way while Ghana and Benin Next door have migrated to the crates system. Imagine even Onions are still being transported and sold in Sack Bag rather than mesh bags!

My take is that our people are buying a high price for the inefficiency in the system.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by panzaar(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2015
Creating a network of small markets begins with registration of an association or cooperative of farmers outlets with emphasis on quality control, standardisation of farm produce, with facilities such as mobile cold rooms. This market must be fully controlled by farmers or their representatives. Anyone who wants to join must register with the association and adhere strictly with the rules of the association.

I am working on acquiring mobile cold rooms for the preservation of perishable food items. This will help such markets in guaranteeing availability of a variety of food items throughout the year.

Jethro, I believe we can call for expression of interest of young agribusiness men and women
sometime in the year.

My dear young and able comrades, we can do this.

If we can think it, we can do it.

21 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by okych16(m): 6:24pm On Jan 21, 2015
jethro2:

Lol. Information is power. Take good advantage of it so we can all make Nigeria a better place
yea... i will do just that, can't belive i've been wasting my talent in the polictical section for nothing.

9 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 6:29pm On Jan 21, 2015
panzaar:
Creating a network of small markets begins with registration of an association or cooperative of farmers outlets with emphasis on quality control, standardisation of farm produce, with facilities such as mobile cold rooms. This market must be fully controlled by farmers or their representatives. Anyone who wants to join must register with the association and adhere strictly with the rules of the association.

I am working on acquiring mobile cold rooms for the preservation of perishable food items. This will help such markets in guaranteeing availability of a variety of food items throughout the year.

Jethro, I believe we can call for expression of interest of young agribusiness men and women
sometime in the year.

My brother forming associations is not the solutions! That's exactly what those guys at mile 12 are doing. Let's encourage private businesses to take the lead and bring standard products to markets at very good prices. There are alternative models to reach the market aside the open market model.

We have to start by creating packing houses at the point of produce origin! Pack them well and transport them efficiently. By removing the inefficiency in the chain you can even sell cheaper than the guys at Mile 12 and then you will see how the paradigm will shift!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by BotherMleeper(m): 6:58pm On Jan 21, 2015
jethro2:

Tomato is a crop that has no enemy...........
Tomatoe can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in stew, soup and other delicacies

If i was a tomato I'd disagree with you.

Whoever cooks and eats me is my enemy.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by millhouse: 7:03pm On Jan 21, 2015
smiles
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by anonimi: 7:07pm On Jan 21, 2015
jeffmyson:

@jethro2, why do you think mile 12 is dominated by northerners and in extension fresh Produce business in Nigeria and in your own opinion can those fresh produce be grown in South West Nigeria?

My take on the whole issue is that the Lagos markets operates in cartels and tend to control the supply and in extension the price offered to farmers. This is where we need young savvy entrepreneurs to break the cartel and deliver quality, hygienic products at very affordable price.

The mass market remains the key to success in Agri business and I would rather sell 1000 basket a day for 20 naira profit than sell 100 basket a day for 50 naira profit. The money is in the mass market and we need to start seeing it that way and working that way.

Another issue with majority of our farmers is that every produce is heading towards lagos thereby creating a glut in the market which invariably leads to price reduction. There are many cities in Nigeria with less population but with good markets for fresh produce and can offer better prices.

Cheers!

Dynamic agripreneurs need to liaise with supermarkets to establish quality grades & packaging standards to supply them at competitive prices. Ditto for hotels, eateries, bukas etc.

Let us exercise our brains creatively to add value and earn better.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by anonimi: 7:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
jeffmyson:

My brother forming associations is not the solutions! That's exactly what those guys at mile 12 are doing. Let's encourage private businesses to take the lead and bring standard products to markets at very good prices. There are alternative models to reach the market aside the open market model.

We have to start by creating packing houses at the point of produce origin! Pack them well and transport them efficiently. By removing the inefficiency in the chain you can even sell cheaper than the guys at Mile 12 and then you will see how the paradigm will shift!

Make I give you three Gbosas for your very nice contribution of FRESH practical ideas on this thread.

More blessings o jare grin

8 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by eleojo23: 7:16pm On Jan 21, 2015
okych16:
yea... i will do just that, can't belive i've been wasting my talent in the polictical section for nothing.
Lol. Engaging in e-fights I guess. grin I hope more people will realise this and stop wasting their time on unnecessary arguments. Goodluck in your new pursuit. smiley

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by okpurukata(f): 7:19pm On Jan 21, 2015
This is a wonderful thread. God bless you ops

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bosunjohns(m): 7:22pm On Jan 21, 2015
jethro2:
Since the YABDI Ogbomosho project, I have received several calls and enquiries from nairalanders on the production and marketing of Tomatoes profitably in Nigeria.
Hence forth I am going to be writing on my experiences , mistakes, solutions and the way forward as Tomato farmer .
Tomato is a crop that has no enemy. No tribal, cultural, nor religious sentiments about tomato.
Both young and old loves and takes tomatoes.
Tomatoe can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in stew, soup and other delicacies
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Stancollins(m): 7:28pm On Jan 21, 2015
@ Jethro... plz can you feed us with some pixx... I m so interested... thanks

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by haftob(m): 7:46pm On Jan 21, 2015
sholaadetude:
FIRST HAND CARS FOR NATIONAL AUCTION/SALES AT AFFORDABLE
PRICES,INTERESTED BUYERS SHOULD CONTACT INCHARGE OFFICER ON
08092205545,WE HAVE COMPETENT DRIVERS TO MAKE DELIVERY
NATIONWIDE.
Special Offer' Nigeria Custom cars for sale; 1st Hand New Tokunbo cars for sale here in Nigeria> CALL 08092205545:
this car are seized by different custom officers
for illegal importation of this cars to the country; if you are interested in owning a very sound car at a very cheap rate; Rating from One Hundred and Eighty Thousand Nair upward upward; This a great Opportunity, don't let this pass by you"
This car are in different ports and Borders in Nigeria, this is a give-away price for all
the sized cars by the custom officers at a very cheap rate.
There are lot of cars ranging from types of product. E.T.C
If you are of interest in owning your personal car at Little cost call the Customs officer for a real connection to get your dream car at Little cost.
NOTE: Offer Valid While Stock Last; Money back guarantee .THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE............
This is wat we're saying, Mods, pls remove this thread from the front page. This thread is nt meant for every1 to see.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by idumuose(m): 7:46pm On Jan 21, 2015
anonimi:

Make I give you three Gbosas for your very nice contribution of FRESH practical ideas on this thread.

More blessings o jare grin
Anonimi my brother,after the e-war in politics section,this is where i come to chill quietly.

Some folks don't know i am involved in agric produce too.Tomato business is very profitable but you will also have to deal with the sellers(dilali) insincerity.

this are my workers packaging tomatoes for onward movement to Enugu or portharcourt.

My brother the transportation no easy oo.Once my workers are back,they complain of extortion from soldiers.In crossing Benue state alone,you will have to encounter more than 50 roadblocks mounted by soldiers.You know what that one means.
Enough said.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by idumuose(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
Another issue you have to deal with is unionism.Virtually all tomato market has a union.If you don't join their union,they would seize your tomatoes when you bring them.

The disadvantage of joining the union is that they determine how many number of baskets you convey to their market.

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by slimfit1(m): 7:59pm On Jan 21, 2015
Put it in a can and export it jare lagos ko kano ni. Most of it ends up in the bin anyway.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Soloxam(m): 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2015
anonimi:

Dynamic agripreneurs need to liaise with supermarkets to establish quality grades & packaging standards to supply them at competitive prices. Ditto for hotels, eateries, bukas etc.

Let us exercise our brains creatively to add value and earn better.
Easy said than done, how can a single. Farmer supply the eatery throughout the year? Except for a cooperative/farmer group that can be achieve.

Ride on my sister.........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by toyoutoyou: 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2015
jeffmyson:

To be candid, no tomatoes farm will yield 100 tons per hectare unless it is grown in a green house. Dangote farm postulation is just a pipe dream and that is why farmers in Kadawa, Kano refused his seeds and asked him to try it out on his demonstration to see how it works first.

The problem with most young farmers is that they want to become overnight millionaire in farming business! It just does not work that way. We have people who just want to attend a 3 hours seminar and then start their own farm immediately and most times they always fail. They are deceived by those peddling those seminars and when they finally go into it, they find out its not that easy and profitable and they end up frustrated.

Farming is a vocation and it takes time and experience to become very profitable.
U are the one saying the truth.The other guy is just trying to toast the naïve once into vegetable farming that requires much capital resource in term of irrigation supply.Based on all the earlier calculation and market competition,all ur profit from ur tomato produce might just bring 150,000 to 200,000 per hectare if u invest let's say 40,000 to 50,000Naira on tomato farming.U will need up to 10hectarees of land bbefore u can even make up to #200,000*10nd the total amount of money to establish such hectares of land is about 400,000-800,000Naira.SO do ur calculation very well before anyone lures u into somethg he is not well grounded in its knowing. What we do in our organization is strictly on vegetable farming and I've been working on tomato for the past 3years.There is money in vegetable production but not as much as the sweet-mouthed guy is trying to make u believe.U will need to practice a large scale farming before u can even make up to 2-3million Naira as ur possible return.If it's that easy,the whole Nigerians would have turned to millionaires.Thank u.

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by InvertedHammer: 8:03pm On Jan 21, 2015
panzaar:

sometime in the year.

jeffmyson:

We have to start by creating packing houses at the point of produce origin! Pack them well and transport them efficiently. By removing the inefficiency in the chain you can even sell cheaper than the guys at Mile 12 and then you will see how the[b] paradigm will shift[/b]!
\

grin grin grin

I know this is a serious issue...
But two of you crack me up.
It is either you are motivational speakers or marketing gurus.

Your technical approach to this issue is very interesting. Two of you need to get together.

Kudos!

/

7 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by okych16(m): 8:21pm On Jan 21, 2015
[quote
author=eleojo23 post=30004568]

Lol. Engaging in e-fights I guess. grin I hope more people will realise
this and stop wasting their time on unnecessary arguments. Goodluck in
your new pursuit. smiley
[/quote]
lol.... thanks. not only goodluck, Buhari too.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by 9jaStartUpSerie: 8:47pm On Jan 21, 2015
@jethro2. i run 9jastartupseries.com - a platform for startups to showcase their products and themselves. would you like to talk to us more about tomato production and marketing. kindly send me an email at admin@9jastartupseries.com
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 8:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
toyoutoyou:
U are the one saying the truth.The other guy is just trying to toast the naïve once into vegetable farming that requires much capital resource in term of irrigation supply.Based on all the earlier calculation and market competition,all ur profit from ur tomato produce might just bring 150,000 to 200,000 per hectare if u invest let's say 40,000 to 50,000Naira on tomato farming.U will need up to 10hectarees of land bbefore u can even make up to #200,000*10nd the total amount of money to establish such hectares of land is about 400,000-800,000Naira.SO do ur calculation very well before anyone lures u into somethg he is not well grounded in its knowing. What we do in our organization is strictly on vegetable farming and I've been working on tomato for the past 3years.There is money in vegetable production but not as much as the sweet-mouthed guy is trying to make u believe.U will need to practice a large scale farming before u can even make up to 2-3million Naira as ur possible return.If it's that easy,the whole Nigerians would have turned to millionaires.Thank u.

I can even place a bet that no "Open Field" farmed tomatoes can ever yield 100 ton / Hectare, it is absolutely impossible for now. You can only achieve those levels of yield in a green house operation. The highest you can achieve based on todays data is 40 tons maximum ( that is if you try well well).

My father always told me "You can't take some one where you have never been to". I always encourage Young farmers to be patient and stay the course. Agri business is lucrative but it takes patience, understanding, doggedness and experience to arrive at the millionaire status.

Today we have potential farmers living in Lekki or Yaba and want to earn millions in vegetable business. They claim they want to be farmers but don't want to move to the rural areas to walk the talk! I just laugh them in swahili!

11 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by anonimi: 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2015
Soloxam:
Easy said than done, how can a single. Farmer supply the eatery throughout the year? Except for a cooperative/farmer group that can be achieve.

Ride on my sister.........

How does the cooperative/farmer group start if not with a "single farmer"

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 9:06pm On Jan 21, 2015
And I also encourage agri business to focus on the mass market because that is where the money is not the elitist market. How many people can afford 400 Naira /Kg tomatoes in Lagos? Is the market sustainable? Can the demand supply ratio keep you in business? What is the minimum wage and what percentage of it does people spend on food (on average household spend 30% of food budget on vegetables), what is the population of the city and household calculations?

When doing postulations and feasibility let us always take advantage of data released by the National Bureau of Statistic (its always on their website and free) to determine if our proposed business makes "reasonable economic sense" and if available data on consumer earnings and buying behavior will support the business model!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.