Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Who Vs. Whom: The Official Guide - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Vs. Whom: The Official Guide (307 Views)

The Official 2016 May June WAEC Timetable / The Official Guide For GMAT Review 2015 / Official Guide To The TOEFL Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Vs. Whom: The Official Guide by TRWConsult(m): 3:01pm On Jan 22, 2015
Knowing when to use “who” and when to use “whom” can be difficult. A lot of speakers are not careful with this distinction and many people are confused about the usage of these two words.

The rules for when to use “who” and when to use “whom” are based on the distinction between subject and object. “Who” is used to refer to the subject of the sentence (the person who is doing the action) and “whom” is used to refer to the object of the sentence (the one who is affected by the action).

The distinction between subject and object is difficult for many English speakers so it’s helpful to substitute another set of pronouns, such as “I/me” or “he/him” to figure out which word to use.

For example:

Who is calling?

You know that you would say “I am calling” or “he is calling”, not “me is calling” or “him is calling”. This shows that it is correct to say “who is calling”.

On the other hand,

Who/whom is she calling?

The answer to this question would be “she is calling him” or “she is calling me” so the correct form is “whom is she calling”.

Also, when the word follows a preposition, you should use “whom”. Prepositions include words like “to”, “on”, “with”, and “in”:

With whom did you see the movie last night?

Bracha Rubin
Re: Who Vs. Whom: The Official Guide by Elypsis(m): 3:37pm On Jan 22, 2015
I love educational pieces lyk dis bt its probability of making fp is so slm cos our mods prefer Dbanj dog rapes Beyonce's cat kinda stories

(1) (Reply)

Sap Hana Online Training In India / UDUS Postgraduate Students / SAP BPC Online Training From India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.