Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? (1002 Views)

Online Car Paper Renewals, Reminders And Helpful Car Tips / Online Car Sale Fraud, Nigerian Man Held In Bengaluru, India / Online Car Auctions, How Reliable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 10:39am On Jan 25, 2015
For car owners and enthusiasts in the house, what do you feel is the level of trust of the public in online car retailers. I'm in a quandary right here as my big eye is lodged in that zone, but i'd like to know if Nigerians actually BUY cars from carmudi.com, cheki.com and their ilk.

I know this isn't your usual stomping ground, but i'll appreciate your thoughts on the issue, my very own Oga Jarus, and the boss I've been sneakily following and appreciating: Oga Ajanlekoko (i wonder if i got that spelling right lol)
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by bravolad(m): 11:48am On Jan 25, 2015
Usually, when buying a car online within Nigeria, the right approach would be to discuss with the online seller after you have identified a particular car. Request details of the car which of course includes VIN number. With due diligence done, you can proceed to meet with the seller one-on-one in other to inspect the said car in the company of your mechanic before you proceed with payment.

This is my modus operandi when buying a car in Nigeria. Any other way is at your own peril.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 2:35pm On Jan 25, 2015
Ah. This is standard, and the route any serious purchaser should follow, today, for the perfect deal.

I'm looking at tomorrow's deals, however.

For, If you follow this drill, it means you'd have to rely on a face2face meet to cement your perception of the vehicle. I'm looking at how the user interface would do this for you.

Therefore, as a second bit to my question, if you were to buy your car online, what measures would you love the site take to reassure you of the viability, authenticity a.b.b.l. of said car.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by bravolad(m): 2:56pm On Jan 25, 2015
I need no reassurance from an online car retail or advert sites in Nigeria. I doubt any website owner will give you any assurances but will urge you to carry out some verification before paying for any car. Except where the owner of the website doubles as the owner of the cars in question. But what kind of assurance do you intend to get from an online retail car shop. However, I will ensure that the car in question actually exists but would never make any payment or commitment without physically inspecting the vehicle.

There's a lot of fraud going on especially using the online medium, so your best bet is to visit the car stand to verify things yourself. Yes you can identify the car online but you must ensure that you transact with the right owner, inspect the car, verify authenticity etc prior to financial commitment.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 3:11pm On Jan 25, 2015
bravolad:
I need no reassurance from an online car retail or advert sites in Nigeria. I doubt any website owner will give you any assurances but will urge you to carry out some verification before paying for any car. Except where the owner of the website doubles as the owner of the cars in question. But what kind of assurance do you intend to get from an online retail car shop. However, I will ensure that the car in question actually exists but would never make any payment or commitment without physically inspecting the vehicle.

There's a lot of fraud going on especially using the online medium, so your best bet is to visit the car stand to verify things yourself. Yes you can identify the car online but you must ensure that you transact with the right owner, inspect the car, verify authenticity etc prior to financial commitment.

Alrighty then, i see where you are standing from.

Nairalanders oh, i need even more input.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jarus(m): 9:15pm On Jan 25, 2015
Jeffflo:
For car owners and enthusiasts in the house, what do you feel is the level of trust of the public in online car retailers. I'm in a quandary right here as my big eye is lodged in that zone, but i'd like to know if Nigerians actually BUY cars from carmudi.com, cheki.com and their ilk.

I know this isn't your usual stomping ground, but i'll appreciate your thoughts on the issue, my very own Oga Jarus, and the boss I've been sneakily following and appreciating: Oga Ajanlekoko (i wonder if i got that spelling right lol)

If you're shipping the car, I will recommend inspired autos. He's on Nairaland.

If you want to buy from Nigeria, it doesn't cost you anything to walk to the car shops yourself.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
Lool, where will i find the money to buy the car, with my planning for ICAN and a.b.b.l. during NYSC. No where o. Perhaps i am ambiguous with the content of my post. I am looking at kick starting a web based auto sales startup. I have some concrete ideas as to what i want but i'd like to know what informed users would like in the UI of the website itself. That is it, sir.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2015
Jarus:

If you're shipping the car, I will recommend inspired autos. He's on Nairaland.

If you want to buy from Nigeria, it doesn't cost you anything to walk to the car shops yourself.

My guy, you no dey current.

Don't direct anyone to inspired - there is too much negative feedback. There is virtually no online no car dealer on nothat does not have a k leg sstory with a disgruntled customer.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jarus(m): 10:49pm On Jan 25, 2015
oyb:

My guy, you no dey current.

Don't direct anyone to inspired - there is too much negative feedback. There is virtually no online no car dealer on nothat does not have a k leg sstory with a disgruntled customer.

Interesting. I no dey current o
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by chillex8(m): 11:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 6:08am On Jan 26, 2015
Oyb, i dont habitually 'stan' for anyone - i have too many headaches from wanting to be wealthy ASAP to take panadol for another - but i fully assure you that if Jarus HIMSELF recommends Inspired Autos, you can very well take it to the bank and beyond. The Jarus i have exchanged emails with and solicited advice from will not put his neck on the line recommending one who will give k leg stories. A man of dignity, integrity and authority in varied matters is one that you address. And its for that reason, i had to beg him to give advice all the way from the politics section

But then again, you are a member of the demographic i'm targeting. Very important people like this. You see how Nigerians quickly accepted online retailing ehn, that is the same way Nigerians should have accepted car sales. What can the website incorporate to its User Interface to assure YOU that everything will do properly and all. I'm thinking big hear. Put no cap on how grandiose it can be.

See, modified cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Nobody: 6:16am On Jan 26, 2015
Jeffflo:
Chillex8, i dont habitually 'stan' for anyone - i have too many headaches from wanting to be wealthy ASAP to take panadol for another - but i fully assure you that if Jarus HIMSELF recommends Inspired Autos, you can very well take it to the bank and beyond. The Jarus i have exchanged emails with and solicited advice from will not put his neck on the line recommending one who will give k leg stories. A man of dignity, integrity and authority in varied matters is one that you address. And its for that reason, i had to beg him to give advice all the way from the politics section

jarus, better insert your disclaimer before they say you are in league with inspired cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 6:29am On Jan 26, 2015
oyb:

jarus, better insert your disclaimer before they say you are in league with inspired cheesy cheesy

Imagine, i woke up and immediately typed that to you and addressed it to chillex by mistake. The post is to be modified rn.
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jan 26, 2015
Jeffflo:

Imagine, i woke up and immediately typed that to you and addressed it to chillex by mistake. The post is to be modified rn.

jarus and i go way back on NL. it is quite possible he is not aware of the repeated scandals among the car dealers. a year ago, i would have recommended inspired to anyone looking to buy a car. not anymore. what is carrying the fellow right now is his old reputation.

this is about giving jarus a heads-up - i seriously doubt he would be recommending inspired if he knew of his recent integrity issues.

https://www.nairaland.com/1838697/own-pre-order-tale-inspired-autos
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 8:20am On Jan 26, 2015
Ah. Alrighty then, that issue is for another day.

On the flipside, what then is your take on the questions the thread asks?
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
no can do

i dont even buy from jumia etal

i dont believe they have a proper resolution system in place.

and i'm generally distrustful of my fellow nigerians

buying cars from regular dealers is already a minefield - i'd be even more scared of engaging total strangers - no be naija?
Re: Do Nigerians Trust Online Car Retailers? by Jeffflo: 8:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
True. But you know its already taken for granted - this online purchasing thing - overseas. You might not like Jumia et al but you should have seen Konga's (admittedly, they provided the stats) fall yakata sales. Pure rage. We have to embrace change one day in the auto purchase sector one-day. And i plan to be at the vanguard

(1) (Reply)

Oil In Exhaust And Lots Of Smoke / Install This On Your Car Windows For Your Safety / Detroit Police Chief Seeks Ways To Ban Atvs (all-terrain Vehicles, Dirt Bikes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.