Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy (4224 Views)

Harmful Foods Your Puppy Shouldn’t Eat / When To Deworm Your Puppy Or Dog / When To Deworm Your Puppy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 9:06pm On Jan 25, 2015
Dog intelligence is exhibited in many different ways, and a dog that
Might not be easy to train might nonetheless be quite adept at
figuring out how to open kitchen cabinets or to escape from the yard.
Novice dog owners need to consider a dog's trainability as well as its
energy level, exercise requirements, and other factors before
choosing a new pet. Very high intelligence is not necessarily a good
thing in a companion dog, as smart dogs can require extensive daily
mental stimulation if they are not to become bored and destructive.

No breed is impossible to obedience train, but novice owners might
find training some breeds quite difficult. The capacity to learn basic
obedience—and even complicated behavior—is inherent in all dogs.
Owners may need to be more patient, or creative, or both, with some
breeds than with others. Owners should also be aware that they
should never comfort a scared or nervous dog because, according
dog psychology and Cesar Millan, this is telling the dog it is ok to be
scared/nervous and this is the response you want from them in
response to that stimuli.

Commands
The specific command word is not important, but consistency in usage
is. There are certain commands that are accepted as standard and
commonly used.

Basic commands
Sit: The dog is in a sitting position.
Down: A dog is typically down when its elbows (front feet) and
hocks (rear legs) are touching the ground or floor.
Heel: The dog's head or shoulder is parallel to the handler's leg on
the left side of the handler.
Come or Here: (referred to as the recall) "Call your dog" equals
"come" or "here".
Stay: The dog must remain in the position (sit, down, stand) and
location under which the command was given until it is released by the
handler.

Advanced commands
Stop – a dog that will simply stop whatever it is doing and lie down
on command no matter how far it is from its keeper is a dog that can
be taken anywhere.
Back up – keepers of large dogs or dogs with a reputation for
aggressiveness can make strangers more comfortable by teaching the
dog to back up on command.
Growl – the inverse of backing up. Some owners teach non-
aggressive dogs to growl on a subtle command – not the word growl,
usually a small hand gesture – as a way of letting strangers know that
you and your dog value being left alone.

Source: http://talkpawsng..com/2014/08/the-importance-of-training-your-dog.html

***This and many more are things you'll find online about dog training. But this post isn't about those "ready-made" ways. It's about the tricks you have used over time and have worked perfectly for your pets. Let's teach new dog owners this day-to-day tricks you have used.

Cc
Chucky234
Decode55
Oluomoadebayo
Supermatins
Smileysmiles
Arcbay
Apitch
Tvmhm
Femi2ranking
Mayorall
magpies
onila
bobbysaxy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Gmajor(m): 9:29pm On Jan 25, 2015
n how exactly will These commands be taught to the dog ? Thats what ur write up should have been abt

3 Likes

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Craigston: 9:30pm On Jan 25, 2015
It's wonderful to have your pets understand you. No wonder Putin loves his black labrador.

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2015
if i copied you and you don't contribute to this post.....lips sealed!
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by smileysmiles(f): 10:58pm On Jan 25, 2015
Well.. i talk to my dog.. like hes human and i guess he got used to it or sth.

If i say come and sit down here, he sits whr i point to..
If i say up... he stands on his hind legs and puts his fore legs on me

If i say tin ba gba ojue (if i slap u) he hides under d bed.

#thatsall

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by arcbay(m): 11:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
My dogs sabi only ibibio... Only God knows where they learnt it... I got home from work one evening to meet my dogs gisting away in ibibio... Dem make camp fire, dem even prepare asun.... Na only wine dem no drink that night

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Magpies(m): 11:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
my dog listens 2 four command,[sit,come,go nd inside]although i use force mst of d tym buh it learns quickly with!n 5 repetitions
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Coldplay007(f): 12:13am On Jan 26, 2015
Prodeegee:

did you read any part of the post atall?

You only told us of commands that can be taught (which we all know)...
What would have been educative is HOW to teach dogs some of the challenging commands.. E.g the growl you talked about...
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 1:26am On Jan 26, 2015
arcbay:
My dogs sabi only ibibio... Only God knows where they learnt it... I got home from work one evening to meet my dogs gisting away in ibibio... Dem make camp fire, dem even prepare asun.... Na only wine dem no drink that night

Do you really joke with everything?
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 1:28am On Jan 26, 2015
smileysmiles:
Well.. i talk to my dog.. like hes human and i guess he got used to it or sth.

If i say come and sit down here, he sits whr i point to..
If i say up... he stands on his hind legs and puts his fore legs on me

If i say tin ba gba ojue (if i slap u) he hides under d bed.

#thatsall

Did he just learn these commands once? Wasn't there a time u said sit and she didn't understand what that was.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 1:30am On Jan 26, 2015
Magpies:
my dog listens 2 four command,[sit,come,go nd inside]although i use force mst of d tym buh it learns quickly with!n 5 repetitions

Nice...what's the easiest training process u've had?
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 7:04am On Jan 26, 2015
Overtime I've always wanted to teach an adult boerboel I brought home a few commands. I read about using treats to teach sit, but that's gonna take alotta time. So I taught my dog to sit by always waiting for her to sit before I place her food before her. Then I added d word cue as time went on.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Magpies(m): 7:37am On Jan 26, 2015
Prodeegee:

Nice...what's the easiest training process u've had?
i tink is sit,wen i press her rear end down nd i say sit,i tried nd said it up 2 five tyms nd wen i say sit,she defintely falls 2 command.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by smileysmiles(f): 7:58am On Jan 26, 2015
Prodeegee:

Did he just learn these commands once? Wasn't there a time u said sit and he didn't understand what that was.

D truth is my dog is a pet. We sleep in d same room, eat in d same room and he follows me everywhr in d house.

So i dint do any major trainin or anything.. i think he just got the general idea from how i react to things over time.

if i shout, hiss or say umm umm (no) he stops whatever he is doing.
If i tap a spot with my hand he jumps thr
If i open a door and step aside he comes in.
When he sees me holdin his chain/leash he comes over and sits while i get it on.

Im not sure i can take any serious credit for that has more to do with "body language"than training. I once walked into my room and saw him eatin my shoe, d minute he saw me he ran under d bed. I dint even have to say anythin. Altho d last time i caught him eatin dat shoe... (wicked laff).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by arcbay(m): 8:00am On Jan 26, 2015
Prodeegee:

Do you really joke with everything?

That's d best way to live life, the secret of growing old.... Laugh over ur ugliest troubles.... A number of people will pay a million bucks to just to see a smile across their faces. It eases stress...

Maltreat ur pet or pass on wrong info here, only then can u see me get serious...

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by mayorall(m): 9:44am On Jan 26, 2015
My dog understood "hug" me as " come up".

sit

come as come here

eeh and ogbeni as stop.

But stay is an headache.

Attack as " catch" pointing to the animal to be chased with loud eeh, she stops like a brand new car break.

Go out.

1 Teaching how to sit.

Made her stand in front

Dip my hand in the hind limp and she is at sitting position with the word sit for days.

Made her stood infront, facing each other with the word "sit" with reward. last for weeks and she learnt it even without reward.

Teaching to hug is what she loves already so it was very simple. opening my arms with the word "come up" . (some say it's a bad habit but personally love it)

Teaching attack is by playing tugs. Throw the tug with the word catch.

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by arcbay(m): 10:52am On Jan 26, 2015
On a more serious note now, I hate saying the same things over and over again...This particular issue has been addressed on several threads here on NL pets...

Anyways, let's deal...so we can all learn and grow together.
I don't really believe in "coercive training", which involves the use of commands to dogs; STAND! SIT!! CATCH!!! Don't treat your pets like they are some sort of slaves. At some point, they tend to forget or mix up these command prompts.

The easiest method is "persuasive training" where the only thing it needs is building a chemistry with your pets. A dog is like a growing kid who have every tendency to learn from their leads. Do you know dogs actually read minds? But u need to bridge the communication gap in order to realize this natural gift of theirs, build a connection between your mind and theirs, read into their sub-.conscious...I never chose any particular method in training my dogs any of these social attribute, it happened naturally...

I can leave my dogs indoors and leave a plate of chicken on the table, and i'll be rest assured that even if I go for 2hrs, i'll meet the plate of food untouched...All I need do is give them a warning look and an occasional "don't go there, its mine"....They tend to read me even without saying a word.

This is the point where I support smileysmiles' opinion on the use of body language but all these cuts down to the chemistry thingy...

Now the question is this, How do you build a chemistry between you and your dogs? I'll ask you this, when was the last time you fed your dogs from your hands? For those who give pet tabs and dog supplements, do you open up their mouths to insert the tabs or you just put it in their food? Have you ever slept in the same bed with your dog? All these things build bonds but most people don't know, they believe its all about keeping dogs locked up in cages and kennels...

You might think i'm weird but could you believe I actually take baths with my dogs, they've seen me nude on several occasions...When I eat, they all sit around me, they wont even give me a second glance cos they've been trained not to stare...All these things builds bonds. They see themselves as a part of me, they understand my moods, they learn through love and not thru pain....

I can go on and on... but i'll rather not bore you with my talks...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by kuzee(m): 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2015
arcbay:
On a more serious note now, I hate saying the same things over and over again...This particular issue has been addressed on several threads here on NL pets...

Anyways, let's deal...so we can all learn and grow together.
I don't really believe in "coercive training", which involves the use of commands to dogs; STAND! SIT!! CATCH!!! Don't treat your pets like they are some sort of slaves. At some point, they tend to forget or mix up these command prompts.

The easiest method is "persuasive training" where the only thing it needs is building a chemistry with your pets. A dog is like a growing kid who have every tendency to learn from their leads. Do you know dogs actually read minds? But u need to bridge the communication gap in order to realize this natural gift of theirs, build a connection between your mind and theirs, read into their sub-.conscious...I never chose any particular method in training my dogs any of these social attribute, it happened naturally...

I can leave my dogs indoors and leave a plate of chicken on the table, and i'll be rest assured that even if I go for 2hrs, i'll meet the plate of food untouched...All I need do is give them a warning look and an occasional "don't go there, its mine"....They tend to read me even without saying a word.

This is the point where I support smileysmiles' opinion on the use of body language but all these cuts down to the chemistry thingy...

Now the question is this, How do you build a chemistry between you and your dogs? I'll ask you this, when was the last time you fed your dogs from your hands? For those who give pet tabs and dog supplements, do you open up their mouths to insert the tabs or you just put it in their food? Have you ever slept in the same bed with your dog? All these things build bonds but most people don't know, they believe its all about keeping dogs locked up in cages and kennels...

You might think i'm weird but could you believe I actually take baths with my dogs, they've seen me nude on several occasions...When I eat, they all sit around me, they wont even give me a second glance cos they've been trained not to stare...All these things builds bonds. They see themselves as a part of me, they understand my moods, they learn through love and not thru pain....

I can go on and on... but i'll rather not bore you with my talks...

abeg no vex,am till a novice,like the idea of sleeping on the same bed,when they want to poo or pee, what do you do at that time?
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2015
Coldplay007:

You only told us of commands that can be taught (which we all know)...
What would have been educative is HOW to teach dogs some of the challenging commands.. E.g the growl you talked about...

smiley the ones who read the post are already commenting. Do read the post and comment again. Thanks
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 4:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
arcbay:

Nice n educative write-up. Why do people lock up talents and decide to joke instead...u shd be sent to remand home.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by arcbay(m): 4:42pm On Jan 26, 2015
kuzee:

abeg no vex,am till a novice,like the idea of sleeping on the same bed,when they want to poo or pee, what do you do at that time?

Dogs have this habit of not messing up where they will sleep...Each time they wanna poo or pee, they simply give funny sounds, they show some kind of restlessness, some go to the extent of staring and fixing gazes on me, this shows they are trying to pass a message....

I once had a boerboel puppy, Duke by name...I sold him sometimes ago to a fellow Nairalander...He grew up exclusively indoors, my laundry basket used to be his bed...At 4weeks, I took him out into the compound on regular intervals to pee. Each time I drop him in my lil' garden, he understands I wanted him to pee and poo, so he does...

As time passed by, I didn't take him out anymore, anytime he feels he needs to pee or poo, all he does was to sit and focus his gaze on me. Upon sighting him, I knew he needed to pee...

So in essence, dog training shouldn't be coercive, especially the fundamental aspects...You can instill a life-long command into a dog without these extreme measures...Don't see training as something you wanna achieve in a day, you need to make an habit out of it...Talk to your dogs like they're human, read their emotions, sense their distress and build that unflinching love with them...

I can commune with my dogs without saying a word and they understand me perfectly well....All I need do is some facial expressions, body language etc...

It's all fun...Don't see training as something difficult to achieve. You don't need to get learned in the profession to achieve all these...Start Today!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by arcbay(m): 4:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
Prodeegee:

Nice n educative write-up. Why do people lock up talents and decide to joke instead...u shd be sent to remand home.

loool...Getting serious like this all the time isn't good for the body...Learn to take life as it comes, live life as a joke... grin
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by smileysmiles(f): 5:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
kuzee:

This question always gets me crackin grin grin wen no b say na chicken u dey raise grin grin
Dogs are kinda neat they dont like to mess up their immediate surroundings.. if ur dog poops on ur bed OLX it na chicken cross him mama.loool
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by yurme(m): 10:24pm On Jan 26, 2015
smileysmiles:

This question always gets me crackin grin grin wen no b say na chicken u dey raise grin grin
Dogs are kinda neat they dont like to mess up their immediate surroundings.. if ur dog poops on ur bed OLX it na chicken cross him mama.loool
lol *faints*
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 6:52am On Jan 27, 2015
smileysmiles:

Ya kiddin ryt...

Your dog will so poop on your bed if it's nt trained.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by oluomoadebayo: 2:16pm On Jan 27, 2015
Prodeegee:
Dog intelligence is exhibited in many different ways, and a dog that
Might not be easy to train might nonetheless be quite adept at
figuring out how to open kitchen cabinets or to escape from the yard.
Novice dog owners need to consider a dog's trainability as well as its
energy level, exercise requirements, and other factors before
choosing a new pet. Very high intelligence is not necessarily a good
thing in a companion dog, as smart dogs can require extensive daily
mental stimulation if they are not to become bored and destructive.

No breed is impossible to obedience train, but novice owners might
find training some breeds quite difficult. The capacity to learn basic
obedience—and even complicated behavior—is inherent in all dogs.
Owners may need to be more patient, or creative, or both, with some
breeds than with others. Owners should also be aware that they
should never comfort a scared or nervous dog because, according
dog psychology and Cesar Millan, this is telling the dog it is ok to be
scared/nervous and this is the response you want from them in
response to that stimuli.

Commands
The specific command word is not important, but consistency in usage
is. There are certain commands that are accepted as standard and
commonly used.

Basic commands
Sit: The dog is in a sitting position.
Down: A dog is typically down when its elbows (front feet) and
hocks (rear legs) are touching the ground or floor.
Heel: The dog's head or shoulder is parallel to the handler's leg on
the left side of the handler.
Come or Here: (referred to as the recall) "Call your dog" equals
"come" or "here".
Stay: The dog must remain in the position (sit, down, stand) and
location under which the command was given until it is released by the
handler.

Advanced commands
Stop – a dog that will simply stop whatever it is doing and lie down
on command no matter how far it is from its keeper is a dog that can
be taken anywhere.
Back up – keepers of large dogs or dogs with a reputation for
aggressiveness can make strangers more comfortable by teaching the
dog to back up on command.
Growl – the inverse of backing up. Some owners teach non-
aggressive dogs to growl on a subtle command – not the word growl,
usually a small hand gesture – as a way of letting strangers know that
you and your dog value being left alone.

Source: http://..com/2014/08/the-importance-of-training-your-dog.html

***This and many more are things you'll find online about dog training. But this post isn't about those "ready-made" ways. It's about the tricks you have used over time and have worked perfectly for your pets. Let's teach new dog owners this day-to-day tricks you have used.

Cc
Chucky234
Decode55
Oluomoadebayo
Supermatins
Smileysmiles
Arcbay
Apitch
Tvmhm
Femi2ranking
Mayorall
magpies
onila
bobbysaxy

Nice piece of work bro. As for me , I want dog to be just dog and nothing more, I work my dog on a purpose, security and obedience and I don't really fancy some of the tricks like dog saluting or dancing. I like the bark and hold command though.
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Apitch(m): 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2015
I don't train mine the conventional way but like my Oga Arcbay n Smileysmiles, I just talk to them like they are humans and they gradually pick it. Though very stubborn attimes but when I change my voice to a more serious tone, they obey immediately.
On the issue of sleeping on the same bed, my caucasian(very emotional) loves it like mad, even when u chase her down, she will give U this pitifull look like someone who's maltreated and when u sleep off, she'll be back beside U.
My dogs are pets and not for security, though they serve both

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by smileysmiles(f): 6:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Apitch:
I don't train mine the conventional way but like my Oga Arcbay n Smileysmiles, I just talk to them like they are humans and they gradually pick it. Though very stubborn attimes but when I change my voice to a more serious tone, they obey immediately.
On the issue of sleeping on the same bed, my caucasian(very emotional) loves it like mad, even when u chase her down, she will give U this pitifull look like someone who's maltreated and when u sleep off, she'll be back beside U.
My dogs are pets and not for security, though they serve both

Awww... always wanted a dog dat likes to cuddle.. mine acts like he's doing u a favor, if he comes to bed and u make noise or touch him he jes leaves!

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by oluomoadebayo: 6:30pm On Jan 27, 2015
smileysmiles:

Awww... always wanted a dog dat likes to cuddle.. mine acts like he's doing u a favor, if he comes to bed and u make noise or touch him he jes leaves!

Maybe I will give u my Rocky boy. He won't stop unless crated .
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by smileysmiles(f): 6:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
oluomoadebayo:

Maybe I will give u my Rocky boy. He won't stop unless crated .

Rocky? Ur mali? D dog dat jumped so high in one picture dat u posted?? D one u were trainin for security and sth?? Lol. No thanks.. he seems scary. embarassed
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by oluomoadebayo: 12:06am On Jan 28, 2015
smileysmiles:

Rocky? Ur mali? D dog dat jumped so high in one picture dat u posted?? D one u were trainin for security and sth?? Lol. No thanks.. he seems scary. embarassed

Kongo is the jumper and rocky is a very loving boy , just work him tired and have a peaceful day with him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Woman That Slept With A Python Every Night / Advice Pls! My 6 Month Old Caucassian Dosent Bark At Strangers / 9 Weeks Old Lhasa Apso Puppies Ready For New Homes!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.