Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

One Plus One..... A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Plus One..... A Short Story (932 Views)

Christopher (A Short Story) / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

One Plus One..... A Short Story by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 03, 2015
"So you then take the derivative of dx all over dy, you multiply the inverse of the function by the derivative of the differential equation with respect with x. After doing this, you would be left with an implicit function, you differentiate the first part using the chain rule and the second part using the quotient rule, that leaves us with an equation with multiple integers and inverse square roots.........."

Tunmise knew he couldn't take in more. The appearance of that Calculus lecturer always had the same effects on him. First, his adventurous mind ran off in wild day dreams, like visualizing himself as the world's best footballer even when he knew that he was the worst footballer he knew. Then when his mind got tired of its wild imaginations and impossible dreams, his eyes took over. First, they blinked, then they blinked again. Then they rebelliously refuse to concentrate. To deal with the crisis, Tunmise simply closed down his eyes till further notice, usually till when the boring monotony of the lecturer's voice took its leave from the continuous hammering of his ear drums.
However, today was quite different, the usual sequence failed, Tunmise knew why. He couldn’t afford to sleep during class today. He couldn’t afford himself the cozy luxury of his wild mind wandering. He had to make an impression, a good one. He had to look as serious as possible, as mature as possible, as composed as possible. He immediately looked at what he was wearing to make sure he hadn’t made any serious fashion mistakes. He wanted to stretch his hands but he changed his mind when he realized that he hadn’t applied his roll-on earlier that morning. Today, everything looked perfect. It was a good day to make the best first impression. He knew his chances were slim, but at least he had a chance.
If there was any other thing Tunmise resented more than Mathematics, it was the fact that he had to offer it. His head failed to assimilate where ever numbers, appeared. These numbers, like tiny devils they were to him, usually appeared with letters to make matters worse. Just when he started accepting the inevitable fate of solving equations with various unknowns, his admission into the university introduced him to the torment of solving equations containing Greek letters. To him, it was the worst punishment in the history of punishments.
He concentrated so hard he never knew when the class was over.

“Tunmise!”

His head immediately recognized the sharp voice, tender voice that spoke as if it sang. The person behind that voice was the reason why he didn’t sleep today, the person behind that voice was the reason why he stared endlessly at the short dark lecturer with crookedly shaped hands even though he never understood a word of what the lecturer said. The person behind that voice was Nkem, a lady of spectacular beauty. Nkem was easily the most beautiful girl in the school, and stories about her had spread like bush fire at the peak of harmattan. She turned more boys down than a door knob, and the current success rate for any boy thinking of wooing her was at minus infinity. But Tunmise was never a guy to run away from challenges, except they included math.

“Did you understand what that man was saying?, I’m sure you do. I saw you nodding at his every statement”

She said, staring at Tunmise with eyes her popular eyes, eyes that could make the most eloquent of men stutter in shameful submission in front of her. Right now, Tunmise felt naked as those eyes pierced him. He felt hypnotized, all his defenses went down like the biblical wall of Jericho falling down at the voice of the Israelites, this time around, it was at her stare.

“Yea, I do, it is quite easy.”
He lied.

“You just need to put effort in practicing it.”

“Math is really fun. It gives you the opportunity to play around with numbers. It’s a great feeling when you solve an equation, and Calculus is one of my favorite aspects of math”

He added, silently praying she found him interesting and simultaneously wracking his head to find another topic for conversation.

“So are you really a mean lady or you just enjoy seeing boys suffer”

He asked, smiling confidently.

“I see someone has been stalking me”

She said, giving him a playful jab.

“No I haven’t. I have just heard a lot of stories. You are quite a celebrity among the boys.”

She immediately looked at her tiny wristwatch. Tunmise usually wondered how girls read time with such tiny watches.

“I really have to be going now, but I have request”

She said, looking at him with pleading eyes.

“I really didn’t understand all the things that man said and I would really appreciate it if you gave me extra tutorials”

“But…..”

“I’ll meet you today at 8pm, CST section, school library.”
She cut in and zoomed off before Tunmise could raise further objections.
Tunmise looked up at the ceiling of the lecture theater, then he put his hands on his waist and asked himself aloud
“What the hell have I gotten myself into?”
Re: One Plus One..... A Short Story by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2015
Part 2 coming up soon. please read, review and criticise
Re: One Plus One..... A Short Story by Sirfrederick(m): 11:26pm On Feb 03, 2015
Re: One Plus One..... A Short Story by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 13, 2015
Sirfrederick:
Waiting for part 2 o,that nkem wicked o

coming soon
Re: One Plus One..... A Short Story by Xslaze3xd(m): 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2015
Sirfrederick:
Waiting for part 2 o,that nkem wicked o
I don catch u..... hahahah... na me Solace
Re: One Plus One..... A Short Story by Uncleluke1(m): 10:15pm On Apr 19, 2015
Well u'v gotten ursef in2 solvin calculus... I just pray he doesn't 'falls his hand' which is most likely 2 happen

I Need A Help On Lesson Note Plan / Abducted / Short Story: Ogbeni, Hear Word!