Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria (818 Views)

I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 04, 2015
Taking a brief survey of the current Nigerian society, one wouldn't help but notice the high level of importance that getting a spouse or a marriage partner is being given. The fuss about getting married is so alarming that its in some ways startling.
Presently we have young people especially the ladies being put under unnecessary pressure by themselves,their families and their colleagues over not being married or their inability to secure a husband. This pressure leads to making of spontaneous and knee jerk decisions which could later turn out to be regrettable.

Taking a look at our churches today, there is too much emphasis as regards prayer towards finding marriage partners. Prayer sessions and programs are designed which have topics such as "send me my husband" or "I must marry by force"
Aside the fact that this prayer topics sound hilarious,they also make you wonder about the superfluous level of importance marriage has been given. This desperation to get married often promotes vices and in the church and religious institutions such as quarrels, back-biting, malice, and fabrication of lies to mention a few.

This is also in a way creating a false ideology in the minds of the teenagers and adolescents.
Marriage is a good thing and it a blessed union ordained by God but I think we have kind of changed to a do or die affair.
Other countries especially developed ones, understand the importance of marriage and what it entails but they don't put too much
emphasis on it as we do.
I hope I have succeeded in bring my thought to light.
Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 04, 2015
@op, you have just written my exact thought.
The issue is really annoying
Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by Skillfullulu(m): 10:00am On Feb 04, 2015
The pressure makes em fall into wrong hands that ain't ready or people that has no plan. They ended up being cheated.
Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by 5minsmadness: 10:19am On Feb 04, 2015
Marriage in Nigeria especially to the ladies is regarded more as a high social achievement than anything else. I have heard this phrase being used many times:
"how is she better than me? She's a graduate, am a graduate. She's married, am married. She has kids, I have kids." This phrase summarises the major milestones of an average Nigerian woman's life.

This is not saying those milestones are not important, no, they are. However our ladies seem to want to achieve those milestones for the wrong reasons. There are many uneducated graduates, marriages devoid of love and immature people having children.

It doesn't help that there is an increased ratio of women compared to men. This is bad enough for the women folk but then they have to vie for the few good and responsible men among the very many bad ones. The competition is intense and not for the light hearted.
Finally taking into consideration the fact that the woman's fertility is on a timer as against the man's, and so she should hurry up and get legally impregnated...in fact the obstacles seem overwhelming some times. So we see mothers, aunties, concerned family friends and now pastors urging thier flock to get married.

I cant blame anybody. Its actually not easy. It would be better though if people entered relationships for the right reasons.
Brb.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 04, 2015
It has always been so. You just noticed because you're now grown up.

While I was a child, I heard my family friends and neighbors pity one Aunty Henrietta who was a union bank BM because she wasn't married. Another Aunty Lucy was always jeered at despite having her own school.

No point getting desperate or allowing anyone to put pressure on you only to start shouting and disturbing neighbors at 3.00am.

I ask people who say 'when will so, so and so get married? ' if they intend to help them make it work. Marriage takes the effort of both parties and many people don't realise that. Too many people asking you to bring a man/woman home, not asking if you're balanced enough to spend all your remaining days with your spouse.

May God help our society.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by lilmax(m): 12:40pm On Feb 04, 2015
Some things can never change.....
Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
5minsmadness:
Marriage in Nigeria especially to the ladies is regarded more as a high social achievement than anything else. I have heard this phrase being used many times:
"how is she better than me? She's a graduate, am a graduate. She's married, am married. She has kids, I have kids." This phrase summarises the major milestones of an average Nigerian woman's life.

This is not saying those milestones are not important, no, they are. However our ladies seem to want to achieve those milestones for the wrong reasons. There are many uneducated graduates, marriages devoid of love and immature people having children.

It doesn't help that there is an increased ratio of women compared to men. This is bad enough for the women folk but then they have to vie for the few good and responsible men among the very many bad ones. The competition is intense and not for the light hearted.
Finally taking into consideration the fact that the woman's fertility is on a timer as against the man's, and so she should hurry up and get legally impregnated...in fact the obstacles seem overwhelming some times. So we see mothers, aunties, concerned family friends and now pastors urging thier flock to get married.

I cant blame anybody. Its actually not easy. It would be better though if people entered relationships for the right reasons.
Brb.
Re: Why Is There Much Concern About "Getting A Spouse" In Present Day Nigeria by NickiRoman: 7:02pm On Feb 04, 2015
Society is cause of this,Comparing You to others who are married and have kids. It's Make people make the wrong decisions because of desperation.

Church ain't helping matters either, constant emphasis on "God giving you a spouse" Or making the Singles feel like the reason their not yet married is spiritual.

People should let others be,Marriage ain't a ticket to heaven.

(1) (Reply)

10 Habits That Ruins Every Relationship / Meet The King Who Inherited 72 Wives / Any Mature Igbo Lady Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.