Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,085 members, 7,957,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:00 AM

How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria (1302 Views)

We Are The Real Professionals In This Field Bricklaying/tiling Job / Whatsapp Group For Professionals In Building Business. / This Is Why You Must Engage Professionals In Your Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
How do you know a Lawyer is really a Lawyer or a Surveyor is really a Surveyor? I mean licensed and authorized to perform work as a professional in that work?
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 7:23pm On Feb 04, 2015
CityNG:
How do you know a Lawyer is really a Lawyer or a Surveyor is really a Surveyor? I mean licensed and authorized to perform work as a professional in that work?

I think you mean, "How to Verify Professionals in Nigeria".

Hajji M.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 04, 2015
mufutau55:

I think you mean, "How to Verify Professionals in Nigeria".

Hajji M.

Duly noted Hajji, I have awarded myself a dutiful punishment of writing it out 100 times grin

I posted while I was under frustration by an alleged Lawyer who I'm hoping to hire to represent me on a land deal.

She refuse to show me her bar license because she doesn't know me. Isn't she supposed to post it in plain view at her place of business?

The Nigerian landscape is fraught with just too much freaking hassles.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 8:52pm On Feb 04, 2015
CityNG:

Duly noted Hajji, I have awarded myself a dutiful punishment of writing it out 100 times grin
I posted while I was under frustration by an alleged Lawyer who I'm hoping to hire to represent me on a land deal.
She refuse to show me her bar license because she doesn't know me. Isn't she supposed to post it in plain view at her place of business?
The Nigerian landscape is fraught with just too much freaking hassles.

Yeah! I thought they are supposed to display it at the place of business in plain view. What does she think you gonna do with it?

Hajji M.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Yeah! I thought they are supposed to display it at the place of business in plain view. What does she think you gonna do with it?

Hajji M.

I am beginning to understand why so many Diasporians don't want to engage people in Nigeria. This ordinary buy land is becoming so tedious. I'm already dreading what will happen during the build process when I deal with even more people. AS you know over here the receptionist area will be plastered with the certificates of all the Lawyers in house. It's actually a thing of pride and not something someone should be hiding from potential clients.

Imagine an educated person like a Lawyer refusing to show me her license as proof that she's a Lawyer? She finally told me to take my business elsewhere. Okay then grin

So I trolled the Nigerian Bar Association site and saw that they at least have this card that identifies them as being registered.

Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 9:29pm On Feb 04, 2015
CityNG:

I am beginning to understand why so many Diasporians don't want to engage people in Nigeria. This ordinary buy land is becoming so tedious. I'm already dreading what will happen during the build process when I deal with even more people. AS you know over here the receptionist area will be plastered with the certificates of all the Lawyers in house. It's actually a thing of pride and not something someone should be hiding from potential clients.

Imagine an educated person like a Lawyer refusing to show me her license as proof that she's a Lawyer? She finally told me to take my business elsewhere. Okay then grin

So I trolled the Nigerian Bar Association site and saw that they at least have this card that identifies them as being registered.

Thank you. This information is very, very useful.
You can also send an email to our Oga Moderator here with username: Lawyer
He is a real practicing lawyer and can help to identify or at least guide you in identifying a crooked lawyer.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Thank you. This information is very, very useful.
You can also send an email to our Oga Moderator here with username: Lawyer
He is a real practicing lawyer and can help to identify or at least guide you in identifying a crooked lawyer.

Hajji M.

I posted asking him for a recommendation in Ibadan but he did not respond. I guess I should follow it up with an email.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by kopell: 11:32pm On Feb 04, 2015
Waooo this is very interesting, I never new one could dig deep to find out what people say the are professionally in Naija. Here in NYC we have consumer affairs to check any contractor history, his or her license to see if one can do business with them.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
kopell:
Waooo this is very interesting, I never new one could dig deep to find out people say the are professionally in Naija. Here in NYC we have consumer affairs to check any contractor history, his or her license to see if one can do business with them.

It is my complete desire and one that I am pursuing with deliberate care not to get swindled of my hard earned money by some unscrupulous entity in Nigeria.

You guys will have to excuse me. I know I am not making a N100million deal but I just hate scams and scammers and will take the necessary steps to ensure that.

I bought some acreage in Texas. Sure I went onsite once to make sure that it existed but everything else was done online. I dealt with the title company online (the title company does property search and guarantees that it is free and clear), the Surveyor and the loan company.

I am finding out that Nigeria does have some of these things but you just have to dig to find them out.

I was introduced to a Surveyor yesterday. He turned out to be a Quantity Surveyor not a Land Surveyor. He was actually very forthcoming, he said he would do the work and then give he details to his Oga at the top who is a real Surveyor to process. I just can't take that risk.

Let's share our findings.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 12:41am On Feb 05, 2015
I like your ground work... even if it is one Naira, nobody should leave himself/herself open for scammers. So, I am with you 1000%.

Hajji M.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by spyder880(m): 3:09am On Feb 05, 2015
Welcome to Nigeria guys cheesy
A country where everything goes, and if you want to correct things you will be looked at like you dropped from Jupiter. Many professional bodies have associations, like the surveyor's council or the Nigerian society of engineers. But the problem is their association, how professional the professional association is. Please don't be surprised or offended to learn that the clerk at the front office is not even computer literate, or have never heard of the word "google"

2 Likes

Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:18am On Feb 05, 2015
spyder880:
Welcome to Nigeria guys cheesy
A country where everything goes, and if you want to correct things you will be looked at like you dropped from Jupiter. Many professional bodies have associations, like the surveyor's council or the Nigerian society of engineers. But the problem is their association, how professional the professional association is. Please don't be surprised or offended to learn that the clerk at the front office is not even computer literate, or have never heard of the word "google"

I complement you guys that are thriving doing business in Nigeria. The system is frustratingly insane and disorganized to me but I know it can be worked through if you know the ropes.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Sankabson(m): 9:07am On Feb 05, 2015
Mr CityNG, we have so many competent Lawyers here in Ibadan but all depends on the QUALITY OF SERVICE You hoping For. Check out this Law Firms in Ibadan:- The Law Hub (Ring Road) Afe Babalola Chamber (Fajuyi and Bodija) Barrister Faleti Chamber ( Are Avenue,New Bodija). Many more like that my Oga. I'm a Real Estate Agent both in Ibadan/Lagos and ive worked with those Firms and i appreciate the QUALITY of Services. I can recommend You to any of those Law Firms in ibadan.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 05, 2015
Thanks for the recommendations.

If of course desire a good quality of service hence why I require a licensed professional. Where I live, lawyers without good quality of service are usually debared.

Now to find their phone number or email and hope they'll show me their bar card.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by slimport(f): 7:45am On Feb 22, 2015
Now I get y u said I lost a potential business. U r very ryt abt ur opinion abt these n
Nigerian people. But my hubby do d survey for u, u will never regret it.
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by slimport(f): 7:57am On Feb 22, 2015
He has his office here in ibadan. So u can come n see by urself. Thanks
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by joelreg(m): 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2015
I will do the survey and you pay after service but you have to sign that u wouldn't renege on the agreement, joel4success@gmail.com
Re: How To Verify Professionals In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
joelreg:
I will do the survey and you pay after service but you have to sign that u wouldn't renege on the agreement, joel4success@gmail.com

Sure, I'll sign your agreement after being fully vetted by my Lawyer. I'm not coming all the way from California to Ibadan just to rip you off, of that I assure you.

On the other hand , you will submit your registration credentials, 5 clients that I'll interview of your work ethics and speed of delivery.

But first let's start with the basics, what are your fees?

I did a cursory search on your email and I did not find one (1) mention of your email used in a professional Survey work shocked

PS: I do not intend to ever pay a professional until the work is done anyways. Professionals do not use one clients money to satisfy another and should have reserves in a bank for operating expenses.

(1) (Reply)

Best Place To Buy Furniture? / Westwood Park Estate 2,sangotedo - Ajah For N12m / Promo Promo Promo Buy 5 Get 1 Free At Just 700k.bricks Courts Scheme 2,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.