Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,586 members, 7,837,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Did You Use This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Use This? (3895 Views)

Have You Ever Thought What These Slang Words You Use Every Day Actually Mean? / (photo) What Happens When You Use Your School Fees For Ultimate Cycler. / 10 Things You Use Everyday And Whose Names You Don't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Use This? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
"Slate" we called it many years back. Every kid must have one to take to his/her school, then we called the school system "je le o simi" meaning "Go to school and let the home be at peace".

The slate is a portable wooden flat blackboard, on it we have A-Z and 1-50 which we take to school everyday wearing around our neck, there is a hole which allows a rope through the board...

That when there was no school bus, we converge somewhere in the street before 8am, we march to school on a single file on the streets where other students will be joining the line with the teacher behind us holding his cane "pankere/ikan" , we singing, clapping, with the board on our chests and hats made of dried grasses on our heads...

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2015
That time when were so scared of our teachers, that we never gat the heart to greet them in the street if we see them. Instead of greeting them, we'll disappear even our parents used them to scare us, "I will tell your uncle" ..."Daddy please dont tell my uncle, I won't do that again" But today......

Those days when we used to bring garri from home, mix it with sugar, then pour it in the chest pocket of your school uniform. Then you take a biro, remove the ink, remove the bottom cap, then put the empty biro tube in chest pocket and sip the garri. Meanwhile lesson is going on, if the teacher turns to the class from the board, you stop. There were times the tube get blocked by larger garri particles, you know how to remove it. God will catch you if the teacher should ask you a question, you won't be able to talk because your mouth is already filled with garri.

You can also buy #1 nylon water, untie it, pour garri, sugar, groundnuts, tie it back, shake it together, pierce the edge of the nylon, and sip......

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by Daniel2802(m): 8:53pm On Feb 06, 2015
Nope I didn't.
Computer age kids.
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Feb 06, 2015
Daniel2802:
Nope I didn't.
Computer age kids.

Indomie generationgrin

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by jamex93(m): 9:27pm On Feb 06, 2015
yes na I use more than 5 slate.....

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by auntymi(f): 9:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
Daniel2802:
Nope I didn't.
Computer age kids.
lipsrsealed
Re: Did You Use This? by derrick333(m): 9:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
Sile12:
That time when we're so scared of our teachers, that we never gat the heart to greet them in the street if we see them. Instead, we'll disappear even our parents used them to scare us, "I will tell your uncle" ..."Daddy please dont tell my uncle, I won't do that again" But today......

That when we used to bring garri from home, mix it with sugar, then pour it in the chest pocket of your school uniform. Then you take a biro, remove the ink, remove the bottom cap, then put the empty biro tube in chest pocket and sip the garri. Meanwhile lesson is going on, if the teacher turns to the class from the board, you stop. There re times the tube get blocked by larger garri particles, you know how to remove it. God will catch you if the teacher should ask you a question, you won't be able to talk because your mouth is already filled with garri.

You can also buy a #1 ice nylon water, untie it, pour garri, sugar, groundnuts, tie it back, shake it together, pierce the edge of the nylon, and sip......
Oboy u sufer well well o, were u broda2 Jona ?
Re: Did You Use This? by derrick333(m): 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2015
Fedral school den,we don't use it ,feel jealous wen Eva I c oda kids in my compound goin2state shool wit ders
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 06, 2015
derrick333:

gringrin Actually we never saw this as suffering/poverty instead fun, because we were born into it. Its only those that have tasted wealth or born with silver spoon then later experienced this situation that will see it as suffering...
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 06, 2015
One of my favourite books then, will always listen attentively when our mistress reads this to us like " "Bade fo ife oba. Ha o fo, oba n bo. A o ba Bade be oba, a o ba bee"

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 06, 2015
Sile12:
That time when we're so scared of our teachers, that we never gat the heart to greet them in the street if we see them. Instead, we'll disappear even our parents used them to scare us, "I will tell your uncle" ..."Daddy please dont tell my uncle, I won't do that again" But today......

That when we used to bring garri from home, mix it with sugar, then pour it in the chest pocket of your school uniform. Then you take a biro, remove the ink, remove the bottom cap, then put the empty biro tube in chest pocket and sip the garri. Meanwhile lesson is going on, if the teacher turns to the class from the board, you stop. There re times the tube get blocked by larger garri particles, you know how to remove it. God will catch you if the teacher should ask you a question, you won't be able to talk because your mouth is already filled with garri.

You can also buy a #1 ice nylon water, untie it, pour garri, sugar, groundnuts, tie it back, shake it together, pierce the edge of the nylon, and sip......
damn! Truly,you've been part of the system. grin three gbosa for my egbon grin
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 1:59am On Feb 07, 2015
Sile12:

Haaaa,chai!!!you just don't know how happy i am with this stuffs,gone are the good old days ooo,i be master for sipping garri with my Biro,abeg where my kito sandal?
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 2:05am On Feb 07, 2015
derrick333:

Suffer kinni,doing all those is like being in the seventh Paradise,Na SMA i dh use bring garri come school den,sip garri till i forget that uncle is in class
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 07, 2015
Those days,during the morning assembly, our teeth,hair are checked, stretch your hand for your uncle to check your fingernails as well,but today modern school and the rest just don't do this,too bad,2kobo food be like #150food,unlike this days when we now have different brands of indomie(I no sabi eat am self)One of my friends used to bring cocoyam(Lambo)to school then,God!!!I really love my generation
Re: Did You Use This? by Redoil: 4:53am On Feb 07, 2015
Sile12:
"Slate" we called it many years back. Every kid must have one to take to his/her school, then we called the school system "je le o simi" meaning "Go to school and let the home be at peace".

The slate is a portable wooden flat blackboard, on it we A-Z and 1-50 which we take to school everyday wearing around our neck, there is a hole which allows a rope through the board...

That when there was no school bus, we converge somewhere in the street before 8am, we march to school on a single file on the streets where other students will be joining the line with the teacher behind us holding his cane "pankere/ikan" , we singing, clapping, with the board on our chests and hats made of dried grasses on our heads...
i thaught it was only in our locality that we use/do this things back then.
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 4:58am On Feb 07, 2015
Dreamcome2ru:

Haaaa,chai!!!you just don't know how happy i am with this stuffs,gone are the good old days ooo,i be master for sipping garri with my Biro,abeg where my kito sandal?

grin abi now.....

Days we used

-Kito Sandals.
-African Championship Trekkers.
-Cross Trekkers. (Black&Brown)
Re: Did You Use This? by derrick333(m): 6:35am On Feb 07, 2015
Dreamcome2ru:

Suffer kinni,doing all those is like being in the seventh Paradise,Na SMA i dh use bring garri come school den,sip garri till i forget that uncle is in class
Hahaha werah!!!
Re: Did You Use This? by derrick333(m): 6:36am On Feb 07, 2015
Sile12:

gringrin Actually we never saw this as suffering/poverty instead fun, because we were born into it. Its only those that have tasted wealth or born with silver spoon then later experienced this situation that will see it as suffering...
U rite sha
Re: Did You Use This? by ERCROSS(m): 11:21am On Feb 07, 2015
Conductor... Pls , I wan drop for this bus stop..
Waow.. The good old times..
THough I wad born wen all dis old tinz r going into extinct oo but I still remember wen I still buy solo bread for 5 naira.. I use the slate at " the je 'le o sinmi" lesson before I was enrolled into nursery school then.
We get sugar 1 naira, kulikuli 50 kobo, groundnut 1 naira, and pure water is non-existent then, si we buy ice water for 1 naira too and u can't even finish 5 naira garri at-a-go then,
We buy rice three naira and 2 naira meet, though small in quantity, but at least it's still a food for a nursery school pupil like myself back den..
This were part of wat characterized my days as a nursery primary skool pupil.

Indomie, I first heard abt this in d year 2000, then I use to tink na rich man pikin food
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
ERCROSS:
Conductor... Pls , I wan drop for this bus stop..
Waow.. The good old times..
THough I wad born wen all dis old tinz r going into extinct oo but I still remember wen I still buy solo bread for 5 naira.. I use the slate at " the je 'le o sinmi" lesson before I was enrolled into nursery school then.
We get sugar 1 naira, kulikuli 50 kobo, groundnut 1 naira, and pure water is non-existent then, si we buy ice water for 1 naira too and u can't even finish 5 naira garri at-a-go then,
We buy rice three naira and 2 naira meet, though small in quantity, but at least it's still a food for a nursery school pupil like myself back den..
This were part of wat characterized my days as a nursery primary skool pupil.

Indomie, I first heard abt this in d year 2000, then I use to tink na rich man pikin food

grin Kulikuli, Donkua, Ipekere(Fried grounded maize prepared like Akara), ice pokipoki, guguru&epa (today's popcorn), fried coconut, monkeys sugarcane and so on..

We bought, eat, and drank rubbish those days, its only God that we're still alive today.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 07, 2015
Some of the songs we sang when marching to our classes from the assembly;

"Eni ti ko ba fo ju se ko re yii o gbofo lojo idanwo"......Then we reply " mee a gboofo3× lojo idanwo....
Meaning, if you're not serious, you will fail during exam.

Later I went to a better school, we had songs like:

"H.I.P for the hip for the hippopo, P.O.P.O for the hippopo and T.A.M.U.S for the hippopotamus, HIPPOPOTAMUS!!!!"

"We are marching, marching, marching, this way bla bla bla that way bla bla bla.."

"Holiday is coming2× no more morning bells, no more teacher's whip, goodbye teacher goodbye"....(going on holidays)

"Wherever you go *gogogongo* wherever you be *sisi eko*. Do not say yes when you mean to say No *Baba Ibadan* " (We chop cane like)

Some SOP songs of praise like "Day by day" (closing song).

Mid day meal song "Some have food but cannot eat, some can eat but there's no food we have food and we can eat glory be to thee oh lord, Amen." Come and eat uncle, come and eat friends. Na cry go follow immediately, because that time wey we close eye sing that song, meat/fish don go...
Re: Did You Use This? by ERCROSS(m): 3:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
Sile12:

grin Kulikuli, Donkua, Ipekere(Fried grounded maize prepared like Akara), ice pokipoki, guguru&epa (today's popcorn), fried coconut, monkeys sugarcane and so on..

We bought, eat, and drank rubbish those days, its only God that we're still alive today.

U ve forgotten baba dudu and sisi pelebe..
Balewa.. Condense... Okin shortcake biscuit, pako biscuit... Dat guguru and epa dey sweet die
Re: Did You Use This? by itstpia8: 4:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
Una memories no dey pass 80s all the time?

What about before and after then.
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 6:09am On Feb 18, 2015
This has gone out of our schools;

a-aja
b-bata
d-doje
e-ejo
e-eye
f-fila
g-gele
gb-gbaguda
i-igi
h-hausa
j-jagunjagun
k-kinniun
l-labalaba
m-maalu
n-nagudu
o-ogongo
o-ogede
p-pepeiye
r-rakunmi
s-salubata
sh-shago
t-tafatafa
u-ukuku
w-wahala
y-yanmuyanmu

Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
ERCROSS:

U ve forgotten baba dudu and sisi pelebe..
Balewa.. Condense... Okin shortcake biscuit, pako biscuit... Dat guguru and epa dey sweet die

Dundu alata (Fried yam with pepper).

Kukunduku (cooked sweet potatoes).
Re: Did You Use This? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 19, 2015
Brighter Grammar.

M.O Odiaka.
Ababio.

cc: Ishilove, Obinoscopy.

(1) (Reply)

See Before And After Photos Of Some Famous Cities In The World / Secondary School Shut Down Over Strange Behavior Of Students Shaking Their Boobs / Check Out The 2 Large Snakes Killed By A Young Boy This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.