Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Anatomy Of Compromise And Why Things May Never Improve - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Anatomy Of Compromise And Why Things May Never Improve (601 Views)

How To Improve On Your Confidence... / Migrant Tragedy: Anatomy Of A Shipwreck / Why Education May Never Improve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anatomy Of Compromise And Why Things May Never Improve by sergii(m): 8:58pm On Feb 06, 2015
Compromise is akin to the movement one makes from one point to another point where agreement or concurrence with another person happens. Whether in hammering out a contract or tying the nuptial knot, the parties involved must relocate from their initial positions to ones more agreeable to other partners. It is the religious observance of the rules of the new positions that enables international, intra-national and inter-personal peace and harmony.
Compromise in this regard is not only desirable but absolutely sine qua non for progress and mutual co-existence. This kind of compromise not only benefits the immediate stakeholders but the interests of so many more are served. I call it Type I Compromise.
There is yet another type of compromise that to the untrained eye looks exactly like Type I. The process of undertaking the necessary movement concomitant to compromise will in this case entail that at least one of the parties abandons initially held convictions. Enormous benefits may initially accrue but over time, the scenario starts to exert an unbearable toll on one or more of the stakeholders. More significantly, the possibility of spreading the benefits to larger society becomes progressively foreclosed. Let’s christen this Type II Compromise.
I will go out on a limb here with a guess on the preponderance of the two types of compromise across the board in Nigeria.
Type I Compromise: 20%
Type II Compromise: 80%
Maybe now you can appreciate why I think things may never improve around here. I will return to this matter shortly; after relaying a defining experience.
She was introduced to me simply as Hajiya. I never sought to know her real names and I don’t regret it one bit. In Nigeria, our penchant for titles is so deeply ingrained that they often replace proper names. The whole place is littered with people brandishing all manner of titles such as Alhaji, Chief, High Chief, Pastor, Prophet, Senator, Honourable, and the most nauseating of all, Your Excellency.
Hajiya intended erecting a 3-bedroom chalet on a property she owns in Gwarinpa, Abuja and my responsibility was to provide the design. After about 6 weeks of dilly-dallying and also meeting two other characters named Husband and Engineer, I was finally ready to talk fees for my services. And that was precisely when she elected to drop the bombshell in carefully choreographed collusion with Husband and Engineer. All she required me to produce was a site plan!
When Engineer first broached the idea over the phone, I assumed I didn’t hear him well probably because he brandished a professional title. Later, Husband (I only address him as such because that’s the title males adopt in matrimony) tried a few more tricks and when I couldn’t be convinced, Hajiya went for broke.
She informed me that in her long, illustrious career as a developer, all she had ever needed to employ was a bricklayer. Her having to retain the services of a so-called engineer was a huge compromise on her part. So, for her, the very matter of having an architect was new and strange turf. What do architects do anyway? She rambled on and on about how she had even detailed Engineer on errands abroad and plenty of other details too banal to merit ever repeating. She couldn’t understand my unwillingness to do her bidding when she was both willing and able to pay.
I barely restrained myself from exploding on her; managing to muster just about enough civility to decline her demeaning offer. Let me use this analogy to help you come to grips with my ordeal.
Imagine a wealthy but unhealthy woman arriving a doctor’s clinic with all manner of complaints. The doctor employs the best of his competence to arrive at a definitive diagnosis. He is about to prescribe a treatment regimen that should last a week when the lady not only demands a one-day treatment but stubbornly insists that’s what must be done. The logic of her insistence is simple: “He (she) who pays the piper dictates the tune.” If you were in the doctor’s shoes, how would you respond?
In my case, it would have been a small matter for me to accede to Hajiya’s misguided request. I would have earned my little dough and moved on. Unfortunately, that wouldn’t be the end of the matter.
By agreeing to produce only a site plan instead of a full complement of working drawings, not only would I be rubbishing my personal convictions, I would equally be trampling on the ethics of architectural practice, and by extension, the very laws of Nigeria that empower me to operate. The law requires me to be a person of honour and integrity. By pleasing Hajiya, I would have wound up a common, cowardly felon.
Additionally, I would have brought my noble profession into disrepute because next time Hajiya encounters an architect or any other professional for that matter, she will certainly cite my compromise in a bid to have her way. There is no reason why she wouldn’t recommend me to others of her ilk who are equally intent on subverting professionalism. Because I succumbed the first time, it becomes subsequently easier for me to capitulate. And I will end up a liability to any effort to remake Nigeria.
Sadly, most critical transactions in Nigeria are based on the Type II compromise. In politics as in religion, loyalty is the euphemism for compromise. In the sleazy world of business, you are hailed as a team player when your capacity for this sort of compromise is beyond doubt. The system attacks and ejects anyone intent on rocking the boat. Next time you hear the expression, ‘one, big family,’ be certain the family’s cupboard is full of skeletons.
Let no one be fazed by contrived statistics and doctored testimonials because when all has been said and done, this is just a world of yes-men, side-kicks and goons. In other manifestations, they are boot-lickers and sycophants, and their ranks never diminish.
Maybe once in a while a recalcitrant fellow gets away from the pack and makes something for himself but like I earlier suggested, only 2 out of 10 will attempt this.
Now you know why the laughable war on corruption will never happen. Who will fight the war, and based on what convictions?
Are you still prognosticating free, fair and credible elections? Well, if only Godot will come and take charge of INEC.
I’ve been around for half a century and in all that time, I’ve seen nothing that should improve that truly improved. If anything, they’ve all been heading south.
I hope I’m wrong. I sincerely pray to be proved wrong.

OLUGU OLUGU ORJI mnia
Plot 542 Durumi District, Abuja.
nnanta2012@gmail.com

Re: Anatomy Of Compromise And Why Things May Never Improve by itstpia8: 9:11pm On Feb 06, 2015
Always be cognizant with the code of practice in your profession so when you are being set up, you will know.
Re: Anatomy Of Compromise And Why Things May Never Improve by tpiadotcom: 1:27am On May 05, 2015

(1) (Reply)

PDP Faction Wants Jonathan Out As Candidate, As Party Faces Deepening Schisms / It Will Prevent From Fatigue / Anti-boko Haram Nigerian Activist Wins Japan Peace Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.