Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Those Who Almost Made It To The New Year - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Those Who Almost Made It To The New Year (1070 Views)

Happy Yoruba New Year! / From Around The World- 9 Strange New Year’s Traditions / Wishing You All A Very Merry Christmas And A Wonderful New Year! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Those Who Almost Made It To The New Year by osisi3(f): 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2008
24 Hours to New Year: Generator fume kills 12 - Police inspector commits suicide - 3 killed as PDP members clash in Ogun

BARELY 24 hours to the New Year, tragedy has struck in three states as no fewer than 16 persons died in different circumstances.

In Owerri, Imo State, 12 people suffocated to death from a generator fume at Obile in Ohaji district of Ohaji/Egbema Local Government Area, while a Police Inspector, Mr. Okigbochie Stephen, committed suicide by hanging in Okeho, Kajola Local Government Area of Oyo State.
At a peace meeting of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Abeokuta, Ogun State, three people were reportedly killed, while scores sustained injuries during a fracas.(Lala - At a peace meeting?)

Reports said that the victims of the generator fume were in a room, watching a film and slept off when the incident happened. The victims, it was learnt, were watching the film when suddenly, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) interrupted the power supply to the area. One of them went to put on the generator which was placed at the passage of the house, with the front door of the house shut.

Eleven of the 15 occupants of the room were said to have died in their sleep, while one of the three who were unconscious and were taken to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Owerri, died at the hospital.

At the time of filing this report, survivors were still lying ill at the FMC. When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Linus Nwainu, confirmed the incident. He said 11 of the victims had been buried without autopsy.

In Oyo State, an Inspector of Police with the state Police Command, Mr. Okigbochie Stephen, has committed suicide by hanging as a result of “poor condition of service.”

Inspector Stephen was said to have taken his life after 31 years in service. He was the station officer at the Ilero Police Division, Okeho before he committed suicide.

After several days of absence at his duty post, the Divisional Crime Officer, Mr. Sekoni Anthony, was said to have ordered the officer in-charge of operations and training to check him (the deceased) at his residence in Lafian, Okeho.

At his residence, Inspector Stephen was said to have been found dangling. The deceased, it was gathered, left behind two suicide notes. The first one was addressed to members of the division while the second was addressed to nobody in particular.

According to him, “this is the end of my life from this wicked world. I can’t bear this any longer. “The N120,000 inside my pocket is for my children. Whenever they come, let them know that I have died. Please, bury my corpse here, no need of carrying me home. The Nigeria Police is a very dangerous job. Please take note.

“Please my GSM contained my children’s numbers. Let them know that I am no more. Please thanks,” part of the suicide note read. Part of the suicide note which was addressed to members of the division also read: “Dear fellow division, this is to inform you all that I cannot withstand all the evils that have surrounded me in this wicked world.

“The DCO should check all the arms and ammunition in the armoury. I make sure that all are correct. May God Almighty bless wherever we go.”

Confirming the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Ms. Olabisi Okuwobi, said the incident was being investigated. The remains of the late Inspector have been deposited at Baptist Hospital, Ilero.

The lingering crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State took a frightening dimension on Tuesday, as three people were feared killed, when rival factions of the party from Ijebu North Local Government Area engaged each other in a free-for- all.

The incident, the Nigerian Tribune learnt, started around 11.30 a.m. when some people believed to be supporters of some politicians in the local government clashed outside the PDP secretariat, leading to the death of the three people, while some were reported to be injured. One of the victims was identified as Ahmed Wahab.

The tension at the party secretariat was high when the Nigerian Tribune visited the place as people were not allowed into the secretariat.

It was learnt that trouble started shortly after the commencement of the meeting when an 18-seater bus with registration number XC112 JGB stormed the party secretariat at Oke-Imosan, and people suspected to be thugs started shooting indiscriminately.

The bus, according to an eyewitness, had the inscription of “Ako Matole Line 02” on it. Nigerian Tribune gathered that the rivalry was allegedly between the chairman of the local government, Alhaji Tele Ogunjobi and the state Commissioner for Works, Mr. Segun Adekoya.

It was gathered that there had been a running battle over who controls the leadership of the party between Alhaji Ogunjobi and some other leaders of the party. The leadership of the party in the local government area had set up a disciplinary committee to investigate the internal crisis in the party and was scheduled to be held at Ijebu-Igbo.

It took the intervention of the chairman of the party in the state, Chief Joju Fadairo and the Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Mr. Bukola Olopade, to bring the situation under control.

The state secretary of the PDP, Chief Pegba Otemolu, told newsmen that the meeting had to be shifted to the party secretariat in Abeokuta based on security reports.

According to him, “They were supposed to meet in Ago Iwoye on Monday but the meeting had to be moved to Abeokuta because of security concern. Thank God that the meeting was moved; what would have happened if the meeting had been held in Ago Iwoye?”

Mr. Deji Kalejaiye, the Director of Organisation of the party and the state Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr. Okoye Ikemefuna, denied the report that three people were killed in the fracas.

Kalejaiye said, “I can tell you authoritatively that the people (gunmen) did not enter the secretariat; the policemen secured the gate and the people could not enter. What happened were just skirmishes, but I'm not aware that people died,” he said.

The state Police Commissioner, Mr. Dipo Ayeni, who spoke with newsmen in Ogere, said the police would commence a manhunt for the perpetrators of the disturbance.

Ayeni said, “We will surely arrest those who were behind the crisis. We cannot fold our arms and watch some people turning the state into a violence spot. We have not made any arrest, but we will get them.”
Re: Those Who Almost Made It To The New Year by IGWEUSA(m): 1:11pm On Jan 01, 2009
It is a pity. Sincere condolences to d grieved families!

(1) (Reply)

Oro People---------identify Urselves / Is Sagging Trousers Truly A Way Of Showing Swags Or What? / Nigerian Man, Freeman Osonuga Shortlisted To Fly To Space

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.