Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree (928 Views)

A Good JAVA Programmer Can Earn As Much As #200,000 In Salary. Learn JAVA Today / Why I Love Ruby / Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by Fullstack38: 5:16am On Feb 10, 2015
It’s a perennial question among entrepreneurs in the startup ecosystem worldwide: Is it better to get a degree, or does it make more sense to ditch college in favor of entrepreneurship?

This topic has always been challenging as those who’ve ditched college typically claim doing so was helpful for running a startup e.g steve jobs, mark zuckerberg e.t.c. and the chances of landing a job at the age of 17 without a college degree in Nigeria was even slimmer

Have always wanted to do something that will make an impact in the society which is why i started a startup called washlify with 2 pakistani programmers i met online through cofounders lab and one belarusian designer.

What is washlify? , Washlify is a mobile laundry service that allows people to search and place an order with the nearest laundromat around their location.

[img]https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/600/1*PhokIouFUfzty_x8onubvQ.png[/img]

To cut the long story short, we completed the mobile app and it was ready for launch.

We got featured on @techcabal and the buzz was going around the ecosystem, people were commenting asking when we are going to launch, customers were ready to pay any amount to remove the laundry problem and i was really happy to get those feedback and engagment with our pre-launch.

We were also invited for a pitch to enter the leadpath accelerator in nigeria but i blew that up because of my pitch.

[img]https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/707/1*wB8en9om8m-9wDeiYwuj1g.png[/img]

[img]https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/769/1*9JLrFfFQkRbR59QLqlJEgA.png[/img]

[img]https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/730/1*2UIyh4PrRDcHlXtmhuMDKQ.png[/img]

I didnt want to launch without registering the company, hire an onsite programmer, office space e.t.c, so i started looking for external funding.

Getting funding for your startup is one of the craziest thing i will advice anyone to try if you dont have connection unless if God is on ur side.

After sending 100 mails to investors with 0.1 reply, i didnt give up and i kept searching for someone who might be interested to the extent that i started calling mobile number of early stage investors

Read more at : https://medium.com/@wittytom/why-i-left-my-startup-to-pursue-a-college-degree-3bc75741b0e0
Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by Extom(m): 6:14am On Feb 10, 2015
I don't even want to read the crap. If you actually left that sum, to pursue a college degree, then you better start learning how to pursue very well, because you're gonna pursuing job vacancy up and down, pursuing money, and pursuing fly from your nyansh by the time owu gives you some lashes.
You obviously haven't heard about the world's billionaires of today.

I'm not even coming back to this thread again.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by bigtt76(f): 6:17am On Feb 10, 2015
Why don't you just post all here rather than link to a site with confused url? Na so people de take miss goodwill shaaa angry
Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by Fullstack38: 9:28am On Feb 10, 2015
@Extom, am sure you are reffering to the word billionaires of today that arent made in Nigeria right ? and am not going after the billionaires mofo, am going for the future and making the world a better through what have learned and acquired in college.

If i can put up a dedicated team to pull of an idea and raise 100K am pretty sure i can do better than that after college.

PS: Neve compare your self with those billionaires from silicon valley and i guess you are reading too much techcrunch or listening to the bullshit of dropout and start a startup.
Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by HCpaul(m): 11:44am On Feb 10, 2015
That seems interesting
Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by 53cur3m0d3(m): 1:14am On Feb 11, 2015
The same guy the OP is talking about is a Nairalander I would have worked with but circumstances beyond my control wouldn't let me...The chap is young, dynamic and a good UX guy... Wherever You're man, kudos! I believe in You and I'm proud of You as well.
He knows what he wants and in what order and I love for a fact that he's not letting the money get into his thinking faculty. Mark Zuckerberg rejected millions from Microsoft for a Music app that shuffles your playlist according to your thoughts or mood at 15. He dropped it online for free. You wanna ask why? Ask Mark when You see him.
Re: Why I Left $100,000 In Funding To Pursue A College Degree by StartupsO2: 10:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
hmm, interesting

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Autocad 2D & 3D Is A Must For Every Engineer And Drafter / Have You Heard Of Wordpress(no Codes) / Chatbot,natural Language Processing And Web Development In Python.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.